2/5/19: Initial Goal Met!
Stretch Goal #1: $5,000 - REACHED!
- The Withering by Ashley Dioses will see an October Release
- Past the Glad and Sunlit Season: Poems for Halloween by K. A. Opperman will see an October Release
- The Dark Walk Forward and Other Stories by John S. McFarland will see a 2019 Release
- We will release a retro edition of Hinnom Magazine that will be formatted in the vein of the early Weird Tales magazines, and Kickstarter backers will receive it first
- The pay for all titles will increase to 3 cents per word
Stretch Goal #2: $7,500 - REACHED!
- We will have an open call for novels
- We will release two more magazines in 2019
- We will release a Matthew M. Bartlett tribute anthology in late-2019 or early 2020 (how soon depends on if this goal is met), tentatively titled Transmissions from WXXT: A Tribute to the Abominable Tales of Matthew M. Bartlett, which will have a professional paying rate for accepted submissions
- All backers of $50 or more will receive all previous 9 e-book issues of Hinnom Magazine
- All backers of $150 or more will receive their choice of either the 2017 Body Horror or 2017 Transhuman anthology in print & e-book
Stretch Goal #3: $10,000 - REACHED!
- All short stories/novelettes will be paid professional rates! 6 cents per word
- We will have an open call for an original fiction anthology titled Lovecraft's Dreams: Tales of the Dream Cycle
- We will release a new series titled Weird Fiction for Beginners, starting with an annotated Arthur Machen collection
- We will release a new series titled Weird Fiction Illustrated, which will consist of single stories in paperback formats, illustrated in full color
- We will have an open call for the Year’s Best Cosmic Horror 2019 Anthology
- We will have an open call for short story collections
Welcome to Gehenna & Hinnom Books,
Since our inception in 2017, Gehenna & Hinnom has become one of the fastest-growing, most ambitious indie publishers in the genre of Speculative Fiction, particularly Weird Fiction and Cosmic Horror. Our company’s goals have always remained the same: to help authors find a platform for their incredible work; and, to provide readers with the highest quality of Weird Fiction and Cosmic Horror written today. Due to our intensive growth these past two years, we are undertaking this Kickstarter for 2 key reasons:
- To meet the costs required to produce every publication on our 2019 docket
- To become a professional paying market. This will allow us to compensate our authors at professional rates, thus paying our authors what they deserve
We have many wonderful projects slated for 2019. This includes our novelette series, Tales From Gehenna, which will feature several very talented authors in the Weird community. We also have 3 chapbooks, all with distinctive themes, and 4 issues of our staple publication, Hinnom Magazine. Hinnom Magazine has grown exponentially and developed a wonderful following, even being named as a possible successor to Weird Tales by The Miskatonic Review.
Our most ambitious projects for 2019 are the debut collections of authors Pete Rawlik and S. L. Edwards. Rawlik's Strange Company and Others will be a showcase of the veteran author's knack for pulp and Weird Fiction, and Edwards' Whiskey and Other Unusual Ghosts will showcase the young writer's unrivaled talent as a new voice in Dark Fiction.
We would be remiss if we failed to mention the support and contributions of a tremendous network of supporting authors and publishers to this Kickstarter, many of which come in the form of unique and exceedingly rare rewards for our backers. On that topic, more about this Kickstarter’s rewards . . .
We have carefully crafted a list of wonderful rewards for our backers, encompassing everything from a year’s worth of digital and print publications from Gehenna & Hinnom, to signed copies of T.E. Grau’s I Am the River and The Secret of Ventriloquism signed by Jon Padgett, to artwork from some of the biggest names in horror cover illustration today.
All told, this Gehenna & Hinnom Kickstarter is truly monstrous in scale, encompassing a total of 15 published works, and 18 if our funding goals are met in stride.
TALES FROM GEHENNA (Novelettes)
“Cabras” by S. L. Edwards
“The Game We Used to Play” by Christopher Ropes
“In the Shoe, Ascending” by Kurt Fawver
“Absent Mouths” by Eliza Clark
“Peymakilir” by Thomas Mavroudis
“Unfinished Story” by Madison Estes
NIGHTSCAPES (Tales of Night Terrors and Unconscious Horror):
“Plastic Love” by Samuel Marzioli
“Escaping Twilight” by Ashley Dioses
“The Winding-Box Tree” by M. Lopes da Silva
“Playthings” by Jonah Solheim
“And in the Shadows, He Whispers” by John Paul Fitch
HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A PORTAL? (Tales of Dimensional Horror, Other Planes of Existence):
“The Door Made for Us” by Jennifer Povey
“More Than Thunder” by Nicholas Stillman
“Marlowe Avenue” by Brian Lillie
“Dudleytown” by Jeff. C. Stevenson
VOID BECKONING (Tales of Deep Space Horror and Unknown Regions):
“The Rings of Khal’Uth” by Samantha Lienhard
“Apparition” by Dennis Mombauer
“The Albatross” by Justin Coates
“The Douglas Account” by Tom Lund
We believe in transparency with our community. To that end, we have provided a breakdown of our internal budget below. If we meet our Kickstarter goals, we will be able to release these works in 2019. Otherwise, these projects could face delays.
- Author Payments: $5,000
- Cover Art/Interior Art: $4,250
- Multi-Channel Marketing: $4,500
- Printing Costs: $2,500
As you can see above, our primary budgetary item is dedicated to publishing and marketing authors. We believe that authors should be compensated fairly; a principle that our company will always uphold. Illustrators will also be compensated well for their work, as they also play a key role in bringing our publications to life: great cover art sells books more than nearly anything else.
Our initial Kickstarter goal is set to $3,000. If we don't reach our stretch goals, we will likely have to postpone some key projects until 2020. That is where YOU come in.
We have a wide variety of different perks and rewards available for our Kickstarter backers, including the following:
- Hinnom Magazine Subscriptions (Paperback & E-book)
- Tales From Gehenna Novelette Pre-orders (Paperback & E-Book)
- Chapbook Pre-orders (Nightscapes, Have You Ever Seen a Portal?, Void Beckoning-- Paperback & E-Book)
- Shadow Booth Volumes 1 & 2 (Paperback & E-book)
- Strange Company and Others by Pete Rawlik (Signed Paperbacks, Signed Kickstarter Exclusive Limited Hardcovers, E-Book)
- Whiskey and Other Unusual Ghosts by S. L. Edwards (Signed Paperbacks, Signed Kickstarter Exclusive Limited Hardcovers, E-Book)
- The Secret of Ventriloquism by Jon Padgett (Signed Paperbacks & E-Books)
- I Am the River by T. E. Grau (Signed Paperbacks & E-Books)
- L. A. Spooner Cover Art & Interior Illustrations
- David Dawkins Cover Art & Interior Illustrations
- Lifetime Subscriptions to G&H (Print & E-Book)
Risks and challenges
Gehenna & Hinnom Books has expanded at rates unseen for the past two years, and with this quickening growth, it has become very difficult to shoulder the workload among the 2-3 people that consistently work within the company. A lot of small presses crumble due to these exact issues, and Gehenna & Hinnom has always been a special dream project to us. We would be devastated to see ourselves become overwhelmed and unable to pursue our more exciting works.
Please, generously back Gehenna & Hinnom through this Kickstarter.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)