About this project
GeckoTek is the first 3D Printer build plate with a permanent coating that is scientifically developed for 3D printing. We developed the GeckoTek Build Plate to be high performance, versatile, cost-effective, and super simple to use. It’s the perfect product for anyone who is tired of using tape or glue to get their parts to stick to the print bed.
We have spent over a year developing the GeckoTek Build Plate. With our backgrounds in Polymer Science and Nanotechnology we have been able to develop a coating material that has the perfect level of adhesion to your printed parts while remaining extremely durable. It is available in any size or shape up to 12” x 12” (300mm x 300mm) as well as in a variety of specialized magnetic bases for the most popular 3D printers.
The GeckoTek Plates shown in the video above are hand made functional prototypes. We need your help so that we can scale up production and reduce the cost.
How Does It Work?
- Insert the GeckoTek Build plate into your 3D printer. If you don’t have one of our magnetic bases then use binder clips or tape to secure it in place. If you received a magnetic base it will come with its own installation instructions
- If it's your first time using the GeckoTek Build plate, follow your printer’s procedure to level the build plate. It is critical keep your 3d printer bed level and z-axis set correctly at all times.
- Print your part! For PLA there is no need for heating the bed. For ABS, Nylon and HIPS its recommended to heat to 90-100C.
- If the bed is hot, let it cool. Then remove the GeckoTek Plate with the finished part. If needed, the plate can be gently flexed to pop the part off.
- Repeat! GeckoTek has a permanent coating so there is now need to re-apply anything. You won’t need to re level the bed after the first print. You will be good to go for many more prints to come.
Magnetic Base Combo
In order to get maximum value from your GeckoTek Plate we recommend getting a Magnetic Base Combo. This provides one GeckoTek Build Plate and a precision machined aluminum base with embedded magnets.
This provides the simplest, cleanest, and the most reliable option for securing the build plate to the Printer. When removing and attaching binder clips it is easy to apply to much force and knock the print bed out of level. Having a GeckoTek with a magnetic base eliminates this issue.
We currently have specialized magnetic bases for the following printers:
- RepRaps (any printer that uses a MK1 or MK2 214 x 214mm heated bed)
- Makerbot Replicator 2 and 2X
- PrinterBot simple
- Solidoodle 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Gen
- Ultimaker 1 and 2
- MakerBot Replicator 1
- Flash Forge Creator and CreatorX
- Wanhao Duplicator 4x.
- Robo 3D R1
(If you would like us to offer a magnetic base for your printer let us know!)
Stretch Goal 1: $30,000 - Cheap Filament. Unlocked!!
If the Kickstater raises a total of $30,000 -- 200% of our funding goal -- you will have the opportunity to purchase rolls of high quality filament for $15! (1Kg /2.2lb spool) One of our partners, Additive Manufacturing Solutions (AMS) (www.additivems.com) is allowing us to offer rolls at a significant discount to our Kickstarter backers. We do the thermal and physical testing for all AMS products in our lab, so we know it is high quality filament. You will be able to choose between PLA and ABS in a range of colors. (We suggest GeckoTek Green)Once we reach our goal, simply increase your pledge by $15 and you will receive a roll of AMS filament. Limit 450, 1 per backer. The rolls and color choices will be first come first serve. if we sell out then any extra pledges will be refunded at the end of the kickstarter.
We have tried to include the price of domestic shipping in the pledge amounts. International shipping rates will be determined after the conclusion of the campaign. The actual shipping rates will depend on the quantity of plates sold. We hope that there will be no extra shipping charges but we may need to charge a small amount to cover our expenses. This is an effort to keep the plates as affordable as possible for our Kickstarter backers.
- Brad Ruff (Co-Founder and CEO) MS in Mechanical Engineering, Nanotechnology
- Aniket Vyas (Co-Founder and CTO) PhD in Material Science, Surface Coating Technology
- Patrick Sledz– (COO) MBA – money manager and entrepreneur
- Mark Evans – (Legal Counsel) JD – Practicing Attorney
Special Thanks to:
Our Exceptional Team
Padmanabh Joshi Ph.D. Candidate in Chemistry, University of Cincinnati - Technical guidance.
Erik Evers - Graphics
Ryan Kreps - Video Editing
University of Cincinnati
Cincinnati start up community
Studio J Photography - Letting us use the studio and Lighting
Risks and challenges
The largest challenge will be to adjust the processing of our coating process for mass production. The recipe won’t change but automated processes take special care to ensure that quality is maintained on each and every GeckoTek Plate. The processes used are common to the industry and we have extensive manufacturing experience on our team. We don't believe that we will have any trouble scaling our production, but none the less, this will be one of our main areas of focus.
Our next challenge will be to work on our supply chain. Although the materials we require a commercially available, we are already in talks with several experts to aid us in this process.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (33 days)