LIMITED REWARD TIER: MORNING OF OWL (EARLY BACKER)
The first 100 people who back our project will receive BETA ACCESS and two exclusive Kickstarter skins for a reduced price.
Somewhere in a parallel universe there is utter chaos. Yet the disarray is handled with a high level of sophistication. Young potent Princes are put through a selection process to replace the older generation of Deities. With age not being the defining factor for mortality in Pann, there are those who are willing to train for centuries, preparing for the ultimate challenges that also could result in death.
Life on planet Earth is only possible through a coexistence with Pann. The Deities of Pann define and maintain the natural laws that govern our human existence. Every spirit that leaves Pann, is reborn on planet Earth. Every once in a while, a human is chosen to compete for a Deity title.
Pann is a 2D-Rhythm Action Platformer game with a focus on the in-game music mechanics. The combat system works in synchronicity with the soundtrack. With each consecutive action that is on beat, Apollo gains more power and additional special attacks. Players who assume the role of Apollo, fight with different enemies and bosses all over the world of Pann.
How does the game work?
- MIYA ▬ Apollo’s guiding companion in the world of Pann. MIYA carries an arsenal of instruments, that Apollo can summon at any moment during battle. MIYA is also used to interact with the environment in order to solve puzzles and unlock secret pathways.
- Hand-to-hand combat ▬ Apollo uses his close-combat skills to defeat enemies. He can perform a variety of punch and kick combo-moves.
- Musical Instruments ▬ Throughout his journey, Apollo will learn to play new instruments found in Pann. Each instrument will enable different abilities. Mastery of these instruments will lead to increased powers and new abilities.
- Rhythm Combat ▬ This fighting mechanic is based on Rhythm Cancels. Players who are familiar with arcade fighting games (such as Street Fighter) are undoubtedly aware of the cancel mechanics enabling players to create their own fighting combo’s that would otherwise be impossible. Pann uses Rhythm Cancels which allows players to fight synchronously with the music! This will allow players to fight more intuitively and on rhythm.
- Fast-travel ▬ Sometimes Apollo will have to transform in order to travel greater distances. In this mode, Apollo will have to dodge obstacles as well as ram through enemies.
Boss sneak peak
Music sneak peak
These soundtracks are composed by our Sound & Music ▬ Hoang Mai Lieu. Let us know what you think!
Thomas Rietbergen ▬ Graphics and Art
Thomas, also known as Bamiboy, always wanted to become a superhero. Therefore he designed his own unique costume, gear, robots and hideouts in order to fight crime! Many years of hard training went by, but his superpowers didn’t develop all that much.... His designing skills did though. For now Bamiboy will continue his design work, but maybe one day... he might just save the world.
Gia Nguyen ▬ Game Design
With a great love for Experience Design, Gia creates games packed with intricate storytelling and complex settings. Having a background in Industrial Design, he is dedicated to creating more than just simple games. He wants to provide you with a meaningful experience. If he is not creating games, he is probably out there trying to convince someone how Hideo Kojima is greater than life.
Hoang Mai Lieu ▬ Sound & Music
Hoang Mai is a self-taught musician who has been making music since he was 14. After obtaining his Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design, he decided to pursue his dreams of becoming a musician. Deeply inspired by GHIBLI films and with a love for crispy drums, we are convinced he is the right person to make Pann leave a lasting impression.
Tim de Jong ▬ Game Dev
Tim has been making games ever since he discovered Game Maker. This self-proclaimed board game expert is notorious for programming hours on end without even blinking once. With a background in Computer Science and Game Technology, he is ideally suited for developing the music mechanics in Pann.
Randy Tjin Asjoe ▬ Game Dev
As a young daydreamer, Randy has been trying to think of ways to discover new places; like riding hover bikes to cross oceans or flying to space with a jetpack. Although none of this has worked out yet, game development has shown him the potential to make these crazy ideas come to life.
A first draft of the game design document has been layed out and is waiting to be extended. Pann is currently in a very early prototyping phase, testing its core mechanics. Everything will be made in Unity.
The main storyline has been outlined, and a number of drafts of the main characters have been sketched.
Most of the main areas in the game have been conceptualized. Some of them are finished and ready to be used in-game, and others still only exist as basic ideas.
Apollo’s basic movements have been animated. Some of the enemies have been fully animated too. A lot of polishing still remains to be done on the fluidity of the movements.
A good amount of soundtracks have been created, so the audio landscape is ahead of schedule. The sound design phase can be initiated once the animations are finished.
There are a ton of good ideas we would like to see come to life. In order to expand the world of Pann to its full potential, we need the help from the Kickstarter Community. Being gamers ourselves, we are very happy with the existence of the Kickstarter platform. This is the place where we can create something beautiful together, both with and for people like us. Your loving support would greatly help us in a couple of ways:
- Paying those who are involved with Pann ▬ Modern life is chaotic. As of now, Pann is a passion project, with each individual member dedicating his time to blow life into Apollo. Funding will allow us to fully focus ourselves on Pann, creating a larger timeframe in which the team is able to work undisturbed. Being able to align our schedules additionally will allow us to be more effective, and work synergistically.
- Hire more staff ▬ Presently, only one of us is doing all the great artwork that you are seeing before you. Funding would allow us to bring more people aboard! Finishing in time is a big priority for us.
- Physical Reward Tiers ▬ Part of the funding will be used in creating and shipping the physical reward tiers.
- Kickstarter fees ▬ A small percentage of the funding will go into the mandatory Kickstarter fee and processing costs.
- (€11= $15) The Journey Begins: DIGITAL COPY - DRM-free digital copy of Pann! Follow Apollo into an action packed adventure story based on rhythms! Pann is yours to play
- (€7= $10) OST ALBUM - Listen to the OST of Pann The Game, created by our Sound Artist: Mai.
We are very grateful for all your support. Every pledge will help us create extra levels, beautiful animations and graphics. Thank you for taking the time to read about Pann!
Risks and challenges
The endeavor of game development is pricey and very unpredictable. It is our intention to finish the game by the summer of 2015. Because there is no clear-cut path to creating a game, we could of course be faced with delays.
Especially the groove combat mechanic is something that we as a team, have never seen before. Though it might seem straightforward to just build it, we believe there is much room for exploration. Both Gia and Hoang Mai have a background in Industrial Design. We are very sure that this will allow for something amazing to arise. The challenge here is to create a game that won’t be like DDR or Guitar Hero, but rather something that allows players to interact with Pann without having to focus too much on visual cues, something which allows the player to actually feel the groove!
Apart from all of this, we will need great art to go along with the combat system! We have Thomas on our team. You might have seen his art in ‘Awesomenauts’, that ran a successful campaign here on Kickstarter not too long ago.
Overall, we have come a long way and we are sure that you don’t want to miss the end of this! Stick with us!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)