This Kickstarter is for an expansion of Folklore: The Affliction, an immersive dark fantasy cooperative adventure. In this expansion, Fall of the Spire, your characters will continue the adventure through a series of stories in their quest to rid the land of evil. Advanced combat, and Town Events will make even the return trip to civilization more perilous. In addition, the Creature Crate, a Kickstarter Bonus, allows you to store all the miniatures from this campaign and previous ones!
Over 7,200 backers helped to make this game a reality. If you already own the core game, but are ready to delve deeper into the darkness, the “Squire” pledge level contains six full-length stories, and the “Executioner” has both the expansion and the new miniatures along with a Kickstarter bonus full game storage solution!Delve deeper below for more details!
To see every thing that comes in the Folklore: The Affliction, The Dark Tales, The Spire, and the Creature Crate take a look at our graphic here.
You have traveled the dangerous byways of Kremel, and finally walk past the gates of the town at twilight. Once eager to see so many people bustling in the streets, you have grown jaded and keep an eye out for pickpockets. Beneath the buildings, stone and wood edifices, you notice the layers of dust and grime, and a deepening of the shadows...
A shopkeeper waves in recognition as you walk through the town, and looks to you in hopes of news from the outside world. But you have a darker destination in mind, and no time to spare. You nod back, and take to the rooftops, and later descend to the sewers, where you hope to find the missing piece that will take you to the one place that will doom or save this land...the Dark Spire.
Meet the new characters in Fall of the Spire. Each brings new skills and abilities to the game.
The Foes and Afflictions
A variety of evil waits for you at every turn. Foes can be found in skirmishes and encounters, while Afflictions, the puppet masters of Kremel, have grand designs on taking over this land.
New Advanced Combat!
Our advanced combat system adds a ton of awesome effects, choice and strategy to Folklore combat, such as the new Initiative Track as well as Initiative cards, Monster AI and Charge-Up powers! The Initiative cards give modifiers, bonus actions and special abilities or attacks to the characters and creatures who can take advantage of their position on the Initiative Track. That’s not all, each Initiative card scales to adjust the effect and gameplay specifically for 2 players games, 3-4 player games and 5 player games!
Here’s how it works:
At the start of a fight, characters and creatures will roll for Initiative then place their minis or markers on the track according to their result (which can change based on bonuses from items, powers, artifacts, etc). Then, two Initiative cards are drawn, one for the characters and one for the creatures and each card is randomly assigned a slot on the Track. The Initiative cards give a potential bonus or combat effect to either the character or foe in the indicated location. A character may spend power points to move up or down on the Track to take advantage of these power slots and the creatures can do the same!
The entire advanced combat system is fully backwards compatible and can be used for ANY Folklore game such as the Core set or Dark Tales, not just the Fall of the Spire expansion!
That’s not all...Beware the Charge-up powers and effects that creatures will gain when in the heat of battle. For every successful hit an enemy scores, they gain a charge counter, triggering a special AI, move, effect or ability on that creature as soon as 3 charges are scored.
Using the narrative created by Twin Fire Games as your GM guide, follow the 6 new stories to see where each adventure takes you as you level up, gather supplies and move onward into certain danger! This next installation of stories added to your gaming library will allow you to journey further into the world of Folklore!
The event decks add to the experience and depth of gameplay with small moments and longer side quests that can be integrated into the story or used on their own as you travel the world. If you do survive the Road and Off Road Event cards, there are always Rumor cards to send you down side paths that entice you to greater danger, and now Town Events will make even the return trip to civilization more perilous.
The Maps: Stunning artwork by Henning Ludvigsen brings to life new encounters on rooftops and underground to use alongside the well travelled paths in Kremel for dungeon crawls and combat with unearthly monsters!
Fall of the Spire
All this and more awaits you in the Fall of the Spire expansion! Learn more on BGG!
Folklore: The Affliction is an adventure board game for 1-5 players, in which your characters progress through a series of stories in their quest to rid the land of evil. Every story is broken into chapters, allowing players to control the length of each game session. Become one of six unique characters, increasing in knowledge and skill as you embark on a frightful journey to save the world of Folklore from the horrors that plague it. Will you survive the adventure that awaits? Will your courage falter and your friends fail you? Or will you become legends? Open and find out…
- A cooperative campaign requiring no game master (including solo play)
- Six stories with multiple paths and endings
- Customize your character
- Unlock abilities, prayers, and rituals
Folklore: The Affliction is an immersive world steeped in mysteries for you to uncover, threads to follow and choices to make. It’s filled with many ways to customize and evolve your character, and dozens of asymmetrical monsters to master. With a focus on depth of play, Folklore retains the ability to get players right into the action without requiring you to study the rulebook before playing. All the key elements of play are taught via the story so you can begin your adventure immediately and learn the gameplay as you go.
“This game really blurs the lines between RPG and a board game. Now in the past I’ve been really critical of games that try to be both an RPG and a board game, because normally I find they do neither of them very well; this is an amazing exception to that rule.” ~ Robert Geistlinger, The Dice Tower, The Blue Player
"This game is essentially an entire role playing game boiled down… easy to visualize and easy to play. There’s all types of variability through monsters, items, and abilities… but it's nice and accessible.” - Ryan Metzler, Dice Tower
"There have been a lot of games that have tried to give an RPG experience in a board game format. I have played a lot of them. I finally found one that does it with Folklore." ~ Lance Myxter, Undead Viking Videos
“Many people have asked us, “What is the closest board game to an RPG?” and I can now say that this game is absolutely the closest experience I’ve had. So much story, character development, choices, thought out missions, side quests during a specific mission... it pretty much kills every other ameritrashy campaign game I’ve tried thus far. We had a total blast with it. ” ~Jamie, Secret Cabal
It fits in that dungeon crawler category... but it's much more than that... I love this game. It's really a blend of so many things, you can't really pigeonhole it. It's the closest game I've ever played to an RPG that's still a board game… it’s very unique.” ~Charlie Theel of Ding and Dent
One Stop Co-Op Shop’s How to Play Series
"It’s a fun, really good story telling game!”
Tim Jennette Overview and Review
“If you’re looking to ever to get into an RPG like D&D, I would highly recommend trying this first.”
Man Versus Meeple Live Play
“Man, I go on for a while on this one - over an hour actually! this really is a great game and a fantastic implementation of your classic RPG but in a board game style and approach. It has a ton of content and expansions already available. Please look into this one and consider your options... Excellent game!”
Click here for more reviews!
We have an amazing group of gamers in the Folklore community! In this Kickstarter, we honor those who have supported Folklore over the years as well as welcoming all newcomers!
To benefit from the camaraderie of this community and help it continue to grow, please remember to participate on the Folklore page of boardgamegeek.com, as well as the Fall of the Spire page, and share this campaign on social media, in addition to becoming part of the conversation on the Folklore: The Affliction Community Facebook page.
*Component list living document can be found here!
If you'd like to add more content to your pledge level, you may add funds by clicking "manage my pledge" (available after you've selected a level). A post campaign pledge manager will be open for a brief window after the Kickstarter ends, where you will be able your add-ons pledges. You will also have an opportunity to add more funds during the pledge manager, if you decide you want to upgrade last minute. You are free to mix and match any combination of add-ons you'd like, adding the sum total to your pledge. These changes will alter shipping estimates.
NOTE: The Kickstarter exclusive content will be available only at higher price point levels in the pledge manager as add ons. After the Kickstarter, the remaining content will be sold through our webstore, and at conventions only. Retail items will differ from these Kickstarter Bonus items. The only way for retailers to acquire any of these items will be through this Kickstarter.
If you want the Creature Crate with the Fall of the Spire expansion and Kickstarter Bonus material (and not the minis from previous campaigns), it will be available during the Kickstarter campaign ONLY and you will not be able to get it after the Kickstarter ends, even in pledge manager!
- Folklore: The Affliction Core Game 2nd Printing (FL31): Get an extra copy of the core game.
- Folklore: The Affliction Dark Tales Expansion 2nd Printing (FL32): Get an extra copy of the expansion.
- Adventure Creation Kit & Nightmare Adventures (FL23): Create your own stories, creatures, characters, afflictions, maps and much more. Everything you need to turn Folklore into your own sandbox adventure system, plus a total of six full-length stories!
- Folklore: The Affliction Fall of the Spire 1st Printing (FL50): Get an extra copy of the expansion.
- Vita/PP/Creature Tracker (FL41): A pack of five double sided trackers with dials for keeping track of either one character’s stats or up two two foes in an encounter. One side tracks a character’s vita and power points - the alternate side can be used for creatures or afflictions. Art and design not final. Check the updates for new previews!
- Equipment Pack (FL39): An experiential upgrade that replaces the text-only character specific items and companions obtained via town services with physical cards.
- Folklore Accessory Pack (FL53) Includes:
- World Events (FL03): Adds Environments, Festivals, Seasons, and Town events to Folklore: The Affliction. These optional mechanics provide additional variety and tension, altering your path through the main storylines for better or for worse.
- Recipes & Crafting (FL04): Adds crafting recipes and new items to Folklore: The Affliction, allowing you to create augmentations and uniquely powerful items.
- Encounter Record Sheet (FL10): Record your group's information and progress during play and between sessions.
- Character Record Sheet (FL11): Record your characters' information and progress during play and between sessions.
- Folklore Oversized World Map (FL54): This canvass world map is ready to travel with you.
- Creature Crate (FL51): This big box of goodness contains all the miniatures and additional Kickstarter bonus material for this Kickstarter. It's the storage solution for all your Folklore minis!
One thing we have done with this game is build a community. And thanks to it, we have made many wonderful friends along the way. But this is a new day, and there are new gamers out there who we hope to invite into the fold. The point of Folklore is be an immersive gaming experience that is accessible to everyone! We have worked hard to make our gameplay fun and friendly for every gamer and we carry that through to our community and even our Kickstarter stretch goals. To help reach out to the community, here’s what we have planned:
- If we get 100 additional people signed up to our newsletter during the campaign, we will add 10 more Item cards in Fall of the Spire. UNLOCKED!
- If we get 4,250 followers on our Facebook page during the campaign, we will add 10 more Town Event cards in Fall of the Spire. UNLOCKED!
- If we get 3,050 followers on our Twitter page during the campaign, we will add 10 more Town Event cards in Fall of the Spire. UNLOCKED!
- If we get 550 followers on our Instagram page during the campaign, we will add 10 more Town Event cards in Fall of the Spire. UNLOCKED!
- If the Folklore Community page reaches 2,400 members during the campaign, we will add 3 more Militia Companions in Fall of the Spire. UNLOCKED!
- If we get up to 50 comments on this BGG thread during the campaign, we will add 3 more Animal Companions to Fall of the Spire! UNLOCKED!
- If we reach 925 likes on our Folklore: the Affliction BGG page during the campaign, we will add 15 Rumor Cards featuring special guests to the Creature Crate! UNLOCKED!
With 14 successful Kickstarters under our belt, we have learned a lot about what it takes to get our games into your hands. One of the biggest things is how variable the cost of shipping can be. As such, we will be charging shipping after this Kickstarter concludes, according to the actual costs incurred to ship to your area. We will do this through the pledge manager system once this Kickstarter has concluded.
There are two reasons we do this. First, it allows us to provide a lower rate on the actual pledge levels and structure a much tighter budget for the campaign and stretch goals since we do not have to estimate for shipping costs. Second, the funds raised for the project are 100% for the actual project itself rather than being partially inflated by shipping costs that may not be accurate.Though the pricing will vary due to any add-ons you pledge for by the end of the campaign, these are our closest estimates for shipping, based on region region this year.
For the Squire level:
- USA: Average of $16 to most states (AK/HI & APO extra)
- CANADA: Average of $23 to most cities
- EUROPE: Average of $22 to most countries (Norway/CH $48)
- OCEANIA: Average of $23 to Australia; average of $30 to New Zealand
- Asia: Average of $21 to most countries
- Rest of World: Average of $60 to most countries.
For the Executioner pledge level:
- USA: Average of $22 to most states (AK/HI & APO extra)
- CANADA: Average of $29 to most cities
- EUROPE: Average of $29 to most countries (Norway/CH $58)
- OCEANIA: Average of $26 to Australia; average of $38 to New Zealand
- Asia: Average of $27 to most countries
- Rest of World: Average of $71 to most countries
For the Guard Dog pledge level:
- USA: Average of $24 to most states AK/HI & APO extra.
- CANADA: Average of $30 to most cities.
- EUROPE: Average of $29 to most countries. Norway/CH $58.
- OCEANIA: Average of $27 to Australia. Average of $39 to New Zealand
- Rest of World: Average of $74 to most countries
- Asia: Average of $30 to most countries.
For the Mercenary pledge level:
- USA: Average of $29 to most states (AK/HI & APO extra)
- CANADA: Average of $33 to most cities
- EUROPE: Average of $31 to most countries (Norway/CH $68)
- OCEANIA: Average of $28 to Australia; average of $49 to New Zealand
- Asia: Average of $32 to most countries
- Rest of World:Average of $99 to most countries
For the Beastmaster pledge level:
- USA: Average of $39 to most states (AK/HI & APO extra)
- CANADA: Average of $51 to most cities
- EUROPE: Average of $45 to most countries (Norway/CH $99)
- OCEANIA: Average of $39 to Australia; average of $99 to New Zealand
- Asia: Average of $51 to most countries
- Rest of World:Average of $165 to most countries
These numbers are based on regional averages, and are subject to change. Unfortunately, import laws and customs have made it impossible for us to ship to Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan and Afghanistan.
Greenbrier Games has teamed up with Twin Fire Productions to produce this amazing game. We are very excited about Folklore and we are enjoying working with Twin Fire Productions on this adventure!
There are many people that have embarked together on this quest to aide in the development of Folklore:The Affliction. Here are a few:
Jason Engle is the illustrator behind Folklore:The Affliction and is responsible for bringing the depth and style that makes it such an artistically immersive game. See more of his work at jaestudio.com.
Henning Ludvigsen created the majority of the gorgeous top down illustrations for the encounter maps in all their gritty glory. You can see his incredible gallery online here.
Kieran Russel is a 3D/2D Artist from Scotland, who specializes in character art. He has teamed up with Greenbrier Games for a number of games, with hundreds of unique character models, needing vastly different styles. You can see his work here. https://www.artstation.com/kieransart
Risks and challenges
As with any project produced overseas, there can be unforeseen production delays, shipping delays, and customs delays. So we've learned all about delays and ways to manage or avoid them. We know that some delays can’t be predicted or avoided, so we plan extra room in our schedule. This way we can give you the best estimate for the day we can get our game into your hands- because we want to ship our products as much as you want to receive them!
This our 15th Tabletop Kickstarter - we are seasoned veterans of the planning and logistics for production and fulfillment of large scale campaigns.
- (23 days)