About this project
UPDATE #1 - WOW! (click update tab above the video for a word from us)
Hey there! We're Gavin and Lisa (that's us behind the fire in the video above). In late 2010, we started a site with an aim to spread a little "good" each day. While our goal was (and still is) to write a few simple words each day, thisgoodworld.com has become something much larger to us. We've fully embraced the idea that people are good. This world is good.
We decided to embark on an adventure and turn the concept behind This Good World into a "spread the good" interactive ebook to be published for iPad through the iBookstore. While it is a book filled mostly with words ("a book of words, you say?!?"), we're going to place heavy emphasis on photography and video to accompany the entries.
We live in a good world -- we hold that belief very near and dear to our hearts. There’s a lot more good out there than we realize. There are also many things we can do to make our lives and the lives of those around us better. This book is a small fight against the constant negativity with which we are confronted each day.
This Good World is an outlet for positive vibes, but it extends far beyond that (or so we hope and wish to think). It's a reminder of sorts that whatever life cooks up, we have a choice in how we react and get by.
We love the little things that move us. Those points in time when our senses remember to work again – whether by a delicious smell, a ridiculous laugh, a good piece of news or a gorgeous rain shower, we in that moment become moved. The heart swells, cheeks warm up with perhaps a butterfly or two. It is like waking up for the first time in a while -- realizing in that moment what really matters. If our simple recipe can alter just one person’s day when they open the book, this is worth it.
So why do we need your help? We've been hard at work on writing and design, but there's still a lot of work left to do. Some of that work can be made a little sweeter and a little easier through your extreme (and most outstandingly appreciated) generosity. While the two of us are taking care of most things, your funds will help us with a few others, such as:
- Editing (I's and T's, I's and T's)
- Some design help (final beautification - the makeup stage)
- Official "boring but necessary" book things (ISBN purchase, copyright, etc.)
- Reward fulfillment and Kickstarter fees (I know it seems funny to pay us to reward you... but it'll be worth it, we swear!)
- Dog food and treats to keep our pups happy while we're painfully forced to ignore them during the long hours we're putting into the book
- Super special sticky notes - Lisa is very particular about her note taking (don't worry, we'll only use $10 for these)
- Contributor gifts -- this one's perhaps most important to us. We've been incredibly fortunate to have some great people donate their work to the This Good World cause. While we don't have the means to compensate them monetarily at the moment (trust us -- we would love to), we want to make sure they're not walking away from this empty handed. We'd love to be able to get them each a small token of our appreciation. Without their help and amazing work, we wouldn't be able to pull this all together. We think you'll be blown away at some of the work we've been so kindly offered to add to our own -- we certainly are. Note: if you're one of the rockin' good artists/photographers/videographers that is helping us out, please ignore this bullet... nothing to see here... move it along...
So that's it. That's our mission. We deeply want to make this ebook a reality and we've been hard at work coming up with what we think is some pretty cool stuff (humble brag ftw). We need your help to make it happen. We've baked up some rewards that you'll see to the right as special thanks for your support.
We aren’t experts at this, but we've made it our goal to focus on what really matters – all of it, in this good world.
For a taste of the content of the ebook, check out http://thisgoodworld.com
We also recently launched a Facebook page at facebook.com/thisgoodworld -- we're happy to trade you some love for a Like.
Last, but certainly not least (not by a long shot)... we want to send a huge thank you. Thank you for checking this project out, thank you in advance for pledges, thank you for sharing this with your friends and an immense thank you, in general, for spreading the good.
Love, Gavin & Lisa
P.S. This is us laughing at a joke... we'll feel similar to this if you pledge or share this project! Promise!
Support this project
- (30 days)