In our last Kickstarter, backers helped us raise an absolutely incredible $431,687 for the initial production run of Garden Tower® 2 – the most innovative nutrient recycling vertical organic growing system available. Thanks to our backers, there are now over 20,000 people growing organic vegetables, greens, and herbs in urban and suburban spaces with Garden Tower® composting & container growing systems.
"The Best Vertical Container Garden I have ever found" - John Kohler, GrowingYourGreens
Growing Indoors — The challenge:
Over the past few years we've had hundreds of users ask us about growing vertically indoors. Most of the equation comes down to lighting. A LOT of "photosynthetically available radiation" (PAR) or the light that plants actually use for energy production is necessary to actually have real harvests indoors. Getting enough PAR output directed across a large vertical column of plants used to require a huge energy budget and a serious investment.
We've been field-testing grow lighting technologies and configurations since 2014. We started with arrays of multiple T5 florescents and scientifically compared them to expensive, high-power discrete LED Grow Lights, and later developed three versions of our own prototype surface-mounted LED Grow Lights to optimize for performance and value.
We determined that discrete, individually heat-sinked LED systems were the highest performers, but their high cost was difficult to justify. Surface-mounted LED designs were lower in cost, but often had inferior thermal management and thin electrical traces which resulted in excess resistive losses (heat) which decreased their efficiency.
LEDs — The Design Solution:
In 2016 we started prototyping high quality surface-mount LED array designs with a partner tech firm. Our goal was to produce a surface-mounted LED array that had larger traces and better thermal management than most of the available arrays and bring a product to market that offered very high efficiency and output at a lower cost.
Two years into our own lighting system development we were connected with a respected LED lighting manufacturer that was already designing lighting systems using high quantities of lower-power surface-mounted LEDS – exactly what we had been working on.
We worked with this large manufacturer to specify a high quality light array that achieved a very high output using Japanese LEDs. Instead of using discrete super-high power LEDS, this design uses 192 under-driven 1.0w LEDs which are heatsinked to the entire enclosure. Under-driving these LED’s by about 50% resulted in increased efficiency, lower temperatures, and a longer lifespan.
The result is an 80w Grow Light that performs as well (PAR on the plants) as some LED systems that consume nearly twice the electricity, but costs much less than typical commercial LED horticultural grow lights.
In real world (PAR) tests, these Ultra Efficient 80w Full Spectrum LED Grow Lights are 44.9% more efficient than industry standard T5 6.4K florescent lighting.
Why our Pre-Order Event is on Kickstarter:
We’re very proud to introduce this horticultural grade Ultra Efficient Full Spectrum LED Grow Light at the lowest cost to you, our users, in the industry. Not only are these lights better performing for their cost of manufacturing compared to other systems, but we are also placing a much smaller markup on these lights than is standard. The result is a Premium Garden Tower® Lighting Kit that is extremely high performing yet actually affordable.
Furthermore, we’ve reduced prices significantly for the Kickstarter event in an effort to drastically increase our initial production order by getting more people involved in our project!
The 35K goal is the minimum necessary to place an initial manufacturing order on these lights – they are fully developed and in production on a batch-order basis. The Grow Lights we've been testing are 100% identical to the production model.
Day 0: Simple Horizontal Seed Starting Application:
Day 20: Ready for planting!
Performance Data & Technical Specifications:
Premium Ultra Efficient, High Power 4' 80w LED Grow Light & Vertical Steel Stand
- Wide-dispersion design provides 90 degrees of intense, effective light projection allowing for use very close to plants
- Designed for both horizontal and vertical orientation - Includes horizontal and vertical mounting clips
- Ultra Efficient: 44.9% more efficient than high efficiency T5 florescent grow lights
- 192x 1-watt LED array under-driven for higher efficiency and lifespan
- Height-adjustable, black powder-coated USA Steel vertical stands allow the grow lights to extend up to 62 inches above the floor (white version pictured)
- Passive thermal management dissipates heat away from plants reducing the need for fans
- Exclusive 3-year manufacturer's limited warranty, >50,000 hour rated life (10-year design lifespan)
- Horticultural quality components including Japanese LEDs
- 6400K Full-spectrum balance for all-purpose grow light use
- High PAR (Photosynthetically Available Radiation) efficiency delivers commercial level light output [170 PAR (μmol/m2/s) at 1ft, 0°); 150 PAR (μmol/m2/s) avg. for 90° dispersion @ 1 ft]n
- 6-foot switched cord. Can also be daisy-chained or connected in series end-to-end (additional cords required)
- High quality color rendition and flicker-free for comfortable use in home environments
- Input power: 76-80 watts (depending on input voltage)
- Input voltage: 90-260 VAC
- Luminus Flux: 8600-9000 Lumen
- Extra-wide 120° Beam Angle, averaging 85% of peak output over 90° dispersion
- Operating environment: 0°f to 140°f
- Dimensions: 46.5" x 3.5" x 3"
See the website store product page for additional details.
Project Development Timeline:
A note on the Vertical Stands:
We're prototyping a new stand that will be made 100% of USA Steel and manufactured in Canada. The design will be more elegant and sturdier than the current stand. Regardless, the production stands will be BLACK in color instead of white (we found black stands to be more attractive). See the project updates for photos of the new stands right now!
- Show me more Grow Light photos! (Click here to visit our detailed product page in our store)
- See our Live Video updates on Facebook!
- Sign up for our Weekly Indoor Plant Growth Update on Messenger!
Risks and challenges
These Grow Lights are ready to produce! Our manufacturer has been building commercial LED lighting systems for almost two decades. This new design is based on proven full-production products and engineered to commercial standards.
We're an established business with a track record of achievement and we are extraordinarily excited to take the project indoors with your support! We have established manufacturing partnerships that we manage directly, we have our own fulfillment operations, and we've been around building and selling Garden Tower® vertical gardens since 2011!
We would normally take pre-orders on our website, but this is special enough project that we wanted to open it up in a bigger space!
Pre-Order by Backing the Project with a pledge!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)