"It’s absolutely fascinating to see the way the letters have been carefully drawn out, even with joints flexing in the right way to create bent italics. " - Nonagon.style
Limited beautiful handmade posters
The Garamond Corpvs poster project is created by Swedish artist Björn Johansson and is a typographic study of our latin letters. The poster aims to broaden our view of typography. We now want to take this project even further by creating limited, smaller reproductions of each letter of the alphabet. Support us by buying the 70 x 100 cm posters or pre-order the letters of your choice to hang on the wall in any order you like!
About this project
– We believe this project will change the way you think about typography.
– The posters will teach you about the anatomy of our letters.
– This project was made with a passion for details.
Our goal is to take this project to a whole other level, by inviting you to take part in the design process! By creating limited editions of each letter of the alphabet, you’ll be able to create your own words to hang on your wall. As the printing cost is high due to the amount of unique prints, we need your help to make this happen.
- A5 (5.83" x 8.27" ) Postcard
- A4 (8.5" x 11") Singel letter
- 50 cm x 70 cm (19.7" x 27.5") Specimen Chart & Detail Study
- 70 cm x 100 cm (27.5" x 39.37") Specimen Chart & Detail Study
Why does this project matter?
It changes our perception of typography. We see thousands of letters every day. They are so ubiquitous that we can immediately identify the lines, both vertical and horizontal. We know how to pronounce these lines and have learned a complex system to build combinations of these forms into words and sentences. In Garamond Corpvs those lines come to life.
It changes our perception of anatomy
Within typography, there is something called “letter anatomy” that in part resembles our own. Yes, letters have arms, a spine and even shoulders and a tail, and we used this terminology as building blocks for this project. For example, the letter S in Garamond Corpvs has been created by using the human backbone.
Why Should you back us?
Whether you are an enthusiast of illustration, typography, anatomy, medical, gothic or graphic design, Garamond Corpvs was designed for you.
– It stands out. No matter what the interior design of your home or office looks like, Garamond Corpvs will enhance your space.
– It will teach you about the anatomy of our letters.
– It will please your eye, and spark your creativity.
Where did Garamond Corpvs come from?
Created by the Swedish artist Björn Johansson Art director at Brikk, Garamond Corpvs is a typographic study based on Geoffroy Tory’s book Champ Fleury from 1529. Inspired by Eric Gill’s quote ‘Letters are things, not pictures of things,’ Björn has long been fascinated by the idea of letters being seen as things; abstract forms of something bigger. Each letter of the Latin alphabet has been dissected to illustrate their skeletal structures, similar to those found in old anatomy books. The typographic characteristics of the letters have been retained and the typeface’s fundamental design remains untouched, now reimaged as the body’s inner constituents: the skeleton, the circulatory system, and the muscles.
The size of the two original Garamond Corpvs posters is 70cm x 100cm. The poster design exist today and will be shipped to you when the campaign is over. The smaller limited editions of each letter of the alphabet will be screenprinted on A4.
– We believe in finest quality and details. So far, all our posters are screenprinted on a 160 g sheet of Conqueror Laid High White paper, hand picked by the artist with consultation from the printing company to render the highest levels of detail.
– All our posters are packed in thick, high quality shipping tubes or in cardboard shipping envelopes.
– Packaged with finest silk paper wrapped around the posters, we ensure that the posters are fully protected from the moment they leave our side until they are delivered to you.
Every backer will also receive the Garamond Corpvs Manifesto printed together with the posters. The Manifesto is a short paragraph that explains all the details and philosophy behind the project.
Risks and challenges
This is a low risk project. We’re working with the best people in the printing industry to eliminate potential mistakes and focus on quality and detail. Transportation and quick delivery is also something that we take into consideration. That’s why the estimated time of delivery is 15 days from the time the campaign ends.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)