Purgatory House is a pick-up & play, horror-themed, haunted house role-playing game for 3 or more people.
Play-through video is now on youtube: https://youtu.be/W0DEz_PrvXI
It lurks atop a hill, behind a rusting gate, squatting amidst decades of weeds and neglect. Broken windows grin across the facade like jagged rotting teeth. Unseen eyes peer out with malice at those who pass it by. It watches, waiting, warning us not to venture in.
It creeps into our dreams. An unspeakable horror chasing us through a warren of endless rooms and devious disasters, a maze from which we can never escape.
There are stories about the House. About the witch that lives there. About the couple who bought it years ago and then mysteriously died. About the old man who murdered his wife and kids. About the young woman who poisoned her abusive husband. About the lights that flicker in the windows on All Hallows Eve. About the faces in the shadows that watch from the attic. About the treasure buried in the basement. About the kids who went exploring inside and never returned.
No matter the city, no matter the year, the house is there; a blight on our subconscious, a foundation of the neighborhood. It slumbers, hunger building till another damned soul climbs the hill, opens the gate, crosses the weed-choked yard, and slips inside.
Then the House wakes up… And it feasts!
- 6" x 9" Hardback Book! (printed in the USA)
- Easy to Learn "Blackjack" Mechanics!
- "Toe Tag" Style Character Sheets!
- 4 Starting Scenarios & 24 Pre-Generated Characters!
- 46 Unique Rooms & 52 Deadly Obstacles!
- Totally Replayable! The House is different every time!
- Pen & Ink Illustrations from Master Artists!
- Free US Shipping!
- Character creation is a snap, but you can jump right in with the included pre-gen characters!
- No dice to play, just two decks of regular playing cards (with Jokers!)
- Definite endgame! A single adventure plays in 2-4 hours.
- Death is not the end of the action! Dead characters become shades and can still impact the outcome of the adventure.
- There are no complicated rules to memorize! If you can play Blackjack, you can play Purgatory House!
- Four starting scenarios are included, with opening descriptions and detailed Horrors!
- You don't have to create an adventure beforehand! The House Deck determines what rooms open up and what obstacles appear, the Dealer simply interprets how to implement them.
- The book is filled with examples, gameplay options, and descriptions for each room and obstacle!
- All challenges are resolved with a hand of Blackjack. A player only takes damage if they bust!
- Players can exhaust relevant traits to adjust their total score or use found equipment for a one-time bonus!
- Failure creates "Rising Tension" which makes the next test harder!
- Jokers (face up in the deck) can either heal a player or summon an Unstoppable Horror!
- For a video of the mechanics in action, see Update #7!
- For a google doc of the base mechanics, go here!
Role-playing games need art. Pictures can do much more than words in setting the mood and expressing the tension. We want this book to have great art!
We have already contracted four amazing artists to provide their unique touches with pen & ink illustrations, once we are funded. We pay for art (a third of our budget is dedicated to it) and good art is worth every penny.
- See Update #2 for a description of all the extras!
We are going to have two types of stretch goals for this game, social goals and funding level goals.
Social goals will trigger when we hit a certain number of backers. Once they are achieved, we will add a new starting scenario (including a new horror and 6 more characters) to the main book.
- 75 Backers (Achieved!) - Kentucky Creepy Hotel (KS Insert)
- 125 Backers (Achieved!) - "Scooby" Rules & Scenario
- 200 Backers (Achieved!) - 3 new scenarios!
Funding level goals trigger after we have achieved our initial funding, and start being able to afford some extras. Once these are achieved, we will create a tri-fold travel brochure for new non-house locations.
These are essentially hacks to the core game that will add entirely new House and Obstacle charts, as well as a new scenario, horror, and characters. These will not be included in the main book but will be provided, for free, to all digital and physical level backers. Possible new settings include: Haunted Amusement Park, Dungeon Crawl, Post-Apocalyptic Underground Vault, Abandoned Space Station, and Bermuda Triangle Cruise Ship.
- $9,000 (Achieved) - Haunted Amusement Park
- $9,750 (Locked) - Abandoned Space Station
- $10,500 (Locked) - Chosen by Backer Poll
- $11, 250 (Locked) - Chosen by Backer Poll
- $12,000 (Locked) - Chosen by Backer Poll
Risks and challenges
We have successfully completed 4 previous Kickstarter projects, two books and two games. This game has been through rigorous playtesting and all that is left is some extra writing, art, layout, and printing.
What is different from our last project is that we are working with a new printer, asking for fancier options (the glow in the dark limited edition), and are depending on art from four skilled artists.
Our biggest risks are simple delays. We have given ourselves 6 months to get this game out the door and in your hands, but that timeline depends on art being turned in on time, printing going smoothly, and no undue actual hauntings.
No matter what, we will be upfront with communicating and setting realistic expectations. Ultimately we want to deliver a quality product that you will enjoy playing, even if that takes longer than we have planned for.
No copies of this game will be made available for public consumption before we have shipped it out to our backers, guaranteed!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)