Check out this video preview of The Card Game of Oz from Tom Vasel of The Dice Tower:
And here's another video preview of the game from UndeadViking!
The idea is pretty basic:
Characters might be unexpectedly shifted around. Objects and other characters can affect the story. Not to mention Effects, Events, and Spells that can change everything in a blink of an eye.
- Jim O'Connor, Orion's Bell
Check out the rules for The Card Game of Oz here.
You can Print and Play The Card Game of Oz now to try it out!
You can watch this How to Play video from Grey Elephant Gaming.
You can watch this Live Play video from Grey Elephant Gaming.
We sent out a number of preview copies of The Card Game of OZ and the reviews and comments are starting to come in.
- "I'm a big fan of the Oz books (have a collection of the whole series) and I think James did a great job of bringing the world of the books into the game." -- Stephen Conway, The Spiel Podcast
- "I would highly recommend this game for any one who loves the world of Oz... the books, the movies... You're just immersed in the land of Oz the whole time you're playing. It's really great! ...I've really been enjoying this game a lot. The more I play it, the more I want to play it." - Grey Elephant Gaming
- "...[The Card Game of Oz] looks like one to keep an eye out for and I'm interested to see more of the classic world of Oz outside Dorothy, Toto, Cowardly Lion, and so forth come into the gaming consciousness." -- Jeff McAleer, The Gaming Gang
- "...I know people that would enjoy this game. The art is beautiful and once learned should play quickly." -- Jason, Play Board Games
- "...if you like games based on stories, check out the Card Game of Oz...I played this with a friend who said he hates The Wizard of Oz but still thought the game was promising nonetheless." -- Jonathan Liu, GeekDad
- "[The Card Game of OZ] looks gorgeous, with a full complement of wonderfully illustrated cards, and some cool-looking story dice." -- Scott Firestone IV and Jeremiah Isley, Theology Of Games
- "Beautiful game with some CCG aspects. Worth checking out if you like those types of mechanisms." -- Doug Garrett, Garrett's Games and Geekiness Podcast
- "[The Child Geeks] found it challenging, but very much something they could wrap their minds and imaginations around….The Parent Geeks were delighted by the game and very much enjoyed themselves when they played….The Gamer Geeks were very impressed with The Card Game of Oz." -- Cyrus, Father Geek
Orion's Bell has been working on The Card Game of Oz for years, as you can see from the gorgeous presentation on the game. With your support, we can build on the time, money, and energy we've invested in this game and help cover a portion of the production costs to make The Card Game of Oz a reality.
You, our KickStarter Backers, will make The Card Game of Oz a reality, and we really want to show our appreciation. We want to give you something special and we found a couple of things!
If we're successful, Backers who pledge $40 or more will receive two awesome bonuses:
Now, if we get far enough into later releases, this card may eventually show up as standard card. However, this version of the card has a unique image made just for this KickStarter and it has a special "KS" set icon! I hope you'll all enjoy it! Jim O'Connor, Orion's Bell
The other awesome bonus we have is a sneak peek at Set 2:The Marvelous Land of Oz.
Pledge $40 or more and you will also receive a pack of 10 cards from Set 2 to mix in with your Set 1 cards before anyone else! This sneak peek set will include 4 new Characters (2 of them "Prime") plus 6 new strange Events and Effects (including 2 Spells that are just plain evil.)
How can you expand your support for The Card Game of Oz (and get more cool stuff?) Add-ons of course :)
Click here for a preview of the Illustrated Card Game of Oz edition of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
If we are lucky enough to inspire hundreds of backers to support THE CARD GAME OF OZ we may be able to surpass our original goal. The more backers we attract, the more stretch goals we can achieve, so please, share the Kickstarter link for THE CARD GAME OF OZ with all of your friends on Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, and any other blog or social network you're on.
The Springboard Seal of Quality is your assurance that a new game project is worth your time and attention. All titles approved for Springboard campaigns are vetted by the game professionals at Game Salute. During this comprehensive evaluation process, Game Salute play tests the game to make certain it is solid and fun, and examines all aspects of production plans to verify that you are getting the highest quality for your pledge dollars.
Thanks to partnerships we have arranged in key locations around the globe, we are able to offer greatly reduced shipping costs to most international destinations.
Backers in Canada, Mexico, EU, UK, and Australia need to add only $10 to their pledges to cover International Shipping.
Backers in the USA receive Free Shipping.
Backers in any other area, please add $30 for International Shipping.
THE CARD GAME OF OZ will be available locally all around the world through friendly local game stores that participate in the Game Salute Select Stores.
You can use GameStoreLocator.com to find a Game Salute Select Store near you. If your favorite store is not on our Select Stores list, be sure to ask them to sign up today at GameSalute.com/SelectStoreSignUp
You can pledge through this campaign AND support your local store. Simply select your favorite local store when you complete your delivery survey and your pledge will benefit the store just as if you purchased the game through the store. You can check out the details here.
We have special Bonus Bundles available for local stores. These bundles provide retailer pricing, free shipping with minimum order, complimentary demo copies, and more. Contact James Takenaka at Sales@GameSalute.com or 1-800-459-5516 to pre-order your Card Game of Oz now.
We are pleased to offer access to our game designers and creative team for podcast, blog, newspaper, or television interviews. Team members can also be present for conventions and event appearances with a timely invitation and appropriate travel and lodging expense allowances. Please contact David MacKenzie at Springboard@GameSalute.com to discuss any of these media support opportunities.
Game Design and Development: James C. O'Connor
Art Direction: James C. O'Connor & Dann May
Dann May, Yoann Boissonnet, Banu Andaru, Elizabeth Arnold,
Verónica Atanacio, Alan Bayudan, Swendly Benilia, Carl Beu, Lee Blair,
Del Bovoric, Eva Cajnko, Cina Canady, Crystal Carpenter, Verónica Casas,
Carmen Martinez Ceballos, Maxime Desmettre, Meredith Dillman,
Elysia S. Dinolfo, Oleg Djimbinov, Ersin Ertűrk, Anna Fehr, Felix Eddy,
Victor Fetsch, Luke Finlayson, Frank Franco III, Mark Girondi,
Ryan Godshalk, Christine Griffin, Geoffrey Grisso, Michael Gullbrandson,
Hinoraito, Dawn Holliday, Pierre Internoscia, Nathan James, Juha Järvinen,
Jacob Johnson, Erin Kelso, Danny Kuang, John Larriva, Alan Lathwell,
Kim Lerchbacher, Sonya Lindsay, Magnozz, Michelle Maiden,
Sarah Markley, Todd Mathews, Kelly McClellan, Kate McCredie,
Susan McKivergan, Roberto Melo, Nicolas Michel, Nathaniel Milljour,
Kirstin Mills, Gerald Minor, Telli Narcizo, Elisa Navacchi, James C. O'Connor,
Santiago Olivera, Egil Paulsen, Anne Pogoda, Mark Rehkopf, Kaitlin Reid,
Marissa Rivera, Loraine Sammy, Cynthia Sheppard, Daniel Silberberg,
Patrycja Stanczyk, Monika Szewczyk, Kaveh Taherian, Laura Taylor,
Bill Thompson, Agnieszka Topolska, Rachelle Traut, Scott Turk,
Tim van Gendt, Jeremy Vickery, Tom Waterhouse, Stina Wiik,
Joanna Wolska, Marcin Woś, Maja Wrzosek, Celia Yost,
Graphic Design: James C. O'Connor & Cody Jones
Executive Producer: Dan Yarrington
Associate Producer: Jeremy Anderson
Design Studio: Orion's Bell
Publisher: Game Salute
Special Thanks to: Marc I. Jacobs, James W. O’Connor,
Eleanor R. O’Connor, “Dresden”, L. Frank Baum, and All of Our Dedicated Play Testers.
We will update the project FAQ below as you send in your questions.
For the $500 Honored Citizen of Oz level, here are the submission guidelines:
• Honored Citizens may not be fictional characters nor public figures.
• Honored Citizens may be human, animal, doll, or plush. (Dolls and plush may not represent copyrighted properties such as Mickey Mouse, Barbie, Sponge Bob, etc.)
• Humans’ names must include a first and last name. A middle intial may also be included. No “Nicknames”.
• Honored Citizens who have passed away will have the keyword “Historic”, while living and toy honorees will have the keyword “Minor”.
• Card type will be designated as “Character”, with a Green background and Emerald City icon, with Gold (Good) borders and the “OZ” monogram in the text field as shown in the actual game card pictured above.
• Honored Citizen illustrations and resulting cards will remain the copyright of Orion’s Bell.
• Orion’s Bell retains the right to reject submissions deemed inappropriate.
• Orion’s Bell shall make all final decisions regarding text, numbers, layout, and illustrations on cards.
• Other conditions may arise as each submission is individually reviewed.
** If you have any other questions about Honored Citizen submissions, please contact us through the links provided on this page before making your pledge.
Risks and challenges
Publishing a board or card game is a cash intensive endeavor. Long before a game project appears on Kickstarter, the designers and developers will have spent hundred of hours on play testing the game and thousands of dollars on art and design to get the project to state where you will take it seriously. In the case of small design studios like Orion's Bell and small publishers like Game Salute, this money is all paid up front from a VERY limited budget. THE CARD GAME OF OZ is a small project as games go, but even so, it can't be made without your help.
THE CARD GAME OF OZ is virtually "Print Ready" so we plan to send the final files to the printer within a week or two of the project's close. That means we hope to have it available for release in 2013. Every game project is subject to potential production delays, but we believe this date is achievable.
The final challenge is getting the game and rewards out to the backers. Game Salute is well versed in Kickstarter reward fulfillment and we are prepared to meet this challenge for THE CARD GAME OF OZ.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)