About this project
Capture: A Medieval Wargame has been lovingly designed by Andrew Hunzicker and has been extensively tested over many years. Art and design has been completed for the game. Capture now needs your support to advance into production and march onto your table.
Capture was originally designed by Andrew in the late 80s! The story of how the game came to us at Game Salute is best told by the designer himself…
- Simple to learn and play – fun for adults and/or children.
- Strategic opportunities and meaningful tactical choices on every turn.
- Clever use of dice rolling, card play and catapults!
- Classic, old school style.
- Play for 1, 2 or 3 Crowns for a gripping 30 minute game up to an epic 2 hours or more.
The Basics of Play:
1) You may play a Treasure Card: Treasure cards are gained by moving over treasure spaces in enemy territory, when played they grant you a special ability for the turn, such as allowing you to move more pieces, fire the catapult, or recruit new pieces.
2) Roll both dice: The white die determines how far your pieces can move if they are in your home territory, the black die how far they can move in enemy territory (on average an offensive move in enemy territory will be faster than a defensive move). A roll of 4 or 5 on the white dice also lets you fire the catapult once. One piece that is knocked over by a boulder in enemy territory is killed (removed from the game), this could be one of your own pieces, so aim well!
3) Move 3 of your pieces: Moving over an enemy piece in your home territory "captures" that piece and places it in your dungeon, unless your piece is the secret Knight, in which case it kills the captured piece. Moving over an enemy crown collects the crown and takes it with you. Moving into an enemy dungeon rescues one of your pieces imprisoned there.
Get all three crowns back to your territory to win the game.
For a detailed description of how to play Download the Rules, Download the Rules in Italian, or for a little taste, watch Andrew highlighting some of the game play...
Capture: A Medieval Wargame is a great game for the whole family, straight out of the box. The game inspires critical thinking and planning ahead. It is also very easy to handicap a more experienced player if you want a more even match.
The rulebook contains a number of suggestions for tweaking the game play to your exact liking. More catapults! More strategy! Longer or shorter games. Alternative ways to play are an integral part of Capture's simple and flexible rule set.
Capture is also a great game to introduce friends and family to the world of hobby tabletop games. It has familiar roll and move mechanics (and catapults!), done in a satisfyingly tactical and meaningful way. It also has a simple rule set but with lots of emergent complexity for deeper play.
Designer: Andrew Hunzicker
Art and Graphic Design: Dann May
Gameboard Art: Tawni Babcock
Video Production: Nate Gerhardt
Executive Producer: Dan Yarrington
Producer: Dann May
Publisher: Game Salute
Capture is a long time labour of love for Andrew and at Game Salute we think it is a superb example of a simple yet enthralling board game, with a classic feel and lots of cool choices and pieces. We've invested in its development, art and design and would love for it to be produced and played far and wide. But we have also determined we can only make so many games in a year, and our current approach is to let Kickstarter backers help us make the toughest of those decisions. Capture is a great game, but only you can tell us if it is a game that you'd choose to have in your collection over another game.
We've provided a great deal here on Kickstarter to keep the costs down to reward you for your support (and give the game its best chance of success) and you'll of course be the first to receive the game when it releases.
We've decided to use all quality plastic components right from the get-go, so no pre-planned unfurling of stretch goals from cardboard, to wood, to plastic. As always our approach is: if it is worth making, then it is worth making well.
$30,000: 9 Special Treasure Cards added to every game!
Shipping options can be selected when you pledge. The costs are:
- Within the United States: $6
- Canada: $19
- European Union (EU): $23
- Rest of the World: $38
Although we've done all we can to discount the shipping, we know it doubles the price of the discounted game for the most remote backers, simply due to an extra big heavy box. If you are a potential international backer and can't afford the shipping, you can support the project by spreading the word about the Kickstarter and help make it a success, you'll still be a vital part of the campaign. Then you will be able to pick up the game when it hits the shelves in your country. If you do jump in and pledge towards the game, then wow, we thank you!
Risks and challenges
Game Salute has done over 170 successful Kickstarter campaigns including our own published titles and those we've helped independent publishers run and fulfill.
The new challenge with Capture will be in the manufacture of the catapults. We've worked up fully functional wooden prototypes to confirm the physics, modelled the catapults for plastic, and worked with our manufacturer to assure that we are set to move on to the next stage of production immediately after the campaign. The manufacturer will source the springs and do the final testing. These are processes that have been plotted out ahead of time, but with any mechanical device there is always a little more testing that needs to be done to make sure everything is operating to specifications.
While printing, shipping, and processing delays are always a possibility, we have set a reasonable delivery date that allows time to handle difficulties. Of course, should games arrive before the estimated delivery date, we will send them out as soon as we receive them.
We're so confident that you'll enjoy Capture that we're backing it up with our Game Salute Guarantee. If you don't enjoy Capture when you receive it and play it, just send it back to our headquarters and we'll issue you a full refund, no questions asked.
Sometimes people may want to cancel their pledge after the campaign has ended, and that’s fine too. We can handle this for you – all we need is for you to email Service@GameSalute.com with your Kickstarter username and full real name. Please note: when we receive your funds, we only receive around 85% of what you paid thanks to various fees and charges, so whatever your pledge was you’ll get it back less 15% to cover those charges.
If the game doesn't fund then we'll take a step back and review. We'll be doing everything we can to continue to support Andrew and work towards the best available option for the game going forward.
Thanks for supporting Capture. You're awesome!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)