In 2014, we started a review format called First Play. It was an experiment to see how many games can be played using only what comes in the game box, without any outside help from publisher websites, blogs, etc.
We just released an episode for the Brazilian edition of Ticket to Ride:
The full list of games that have received the First Play treatment (so far):
- S01E01: Sid Meier's Civilization
- S01E02: Rush n' Crush
- S01E03: Dungeon Command
- S01E04: Runebound 2nd Edition
- S01E05: Age of Gods
- S01E06: Pixel Tactics
- S01E07: Ticket to Ride (Brazilian Edition)
View the First Play listing on IMDb.
Current Episode Count: 10 (One More at $750)
We've had a lot of fun doing this show, and have been touched by the response from people who have watched the first few episodes we've made. We'd like to do more!
The funds from this Kickstarter will go toward purchasing new games and the (rather high) shipping costs it takes to get those games to Brazil. Any money left over, after paying the Kickstarter fees, will be put toward better filming equipment, software and perhaps set creation. We'd like to make First Play look more professional this year.
Series 2 Publishers
The following publishers have already committed to sending us copies of their games for First Play Series 2, so you can rest assured we'll at least be making episodes for these fine companies!
Learn More About
- At $250, First Play Series 2 will have 9 Episodes.
- At $500, First Play Series 2 will have 10 Episodes.
- At $750, First Play Series 2 will have 11 Episodes.
- At $1,000, First Play Series 2 will have 12 Episodes.
Sure. Maybe. If you want this many episodes, we're more than willing to make them!
All backer rewards have an estimated delivery date listed as April 2015. This is because we will start releasing episodes of First Play Series 2 in April of this year. The exact date that a particular episode will release has not yet been determined, so we can't place exact delivery dates on higher pledge rewards, such as episode sponsorships. In addition, Gamerati Membership benefits will not begin until the Member-Only forum launches (see below).
We value your support. It helps us make great content for everyone. Here are a few member-only perks for those that are interested in 'something more':
- Member-only ad-free forum
- Public recognition of your support (optional)
- Exclusive content (articles, interviews, guides, videos). Some Examples? For roleplayers, we currently have a Campaign Building Guide by John Dunn (Shadowrun, Deathwatch/Black Crusade/Rogue Trader) lined up. Alex Flagg (Crafty Games) is also working on a Dropzone Commander series for the wargamers out there.
- Influence over topics of future content creation. We create a lot of content. What would you like to see us focus on?
- Development Group participation to guide new features and benefits
- Invite-only events (virtual and in-person)
- Free Admission to Gamerati Game Days (usually $10-$20)
- 10% discount at Ah Badabing Pizzeria (Tacoma, WA) and Blind Dragon Hobbies (Kent, WA)
- Coupons good for discounts at Uncle's Games
If you would like a Gamerati Membership as an Add-On, please increase your pledge to equal one of the following amounts:
- 1 Month: $20.00
- 1 Year: $150.00
Risks and challenges
If this project does not succeed, we will still make eight episodes for First Play Series 2, but we will not be able to make more.
The biggest risk, for us, is the shipping of games to Brazil. Packages go missing. It happens. That said, if a game we purchase goes missing, we will purchase another one using the funds from this Kickstarter. We tend to order from established retailers, such as Amazon.com, so we hope this doesn't happen very often.
One unique risk is that the audience (you!) choose a game that is hard to find. We'll do our best to get a copy - either from the publisher or from an online retailer. As long as it doesn't cost a king's ransom... we should be able to get any game that gets voted into Series 2.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (48 days)