What is Phone Finder?
You know that scary moment when you frantically pat your pockets, search your bag, turn your place upside down and still can't find your phone? It’s even worse when it's on silent! With Phone Finder you'll never have to feel that way again.
This brilliant Bluetooth device allows you to find your phone in just one click. Once clicked, your phone will ring, vibrate and flash so that you can find it. Also, if your phone is out of range (more than 50 feet / 15 meter away), visit our website to locate your phone on the map.
What makes Phone Finder unique?
It locates your device in just one click, even when on silent mode.
The only phone finding solution which works on EVERY Smartphone.
3 Years (5,000 uses) - NO charging required.
50 feet / 15 meters, seek range (hearing distance).
Plug & Play – Setup in 30 seconds.
1. A simple and quick one-click solution - Even though under the surface many things occur once Phone Finder is activated, the only thing you need to worry about is ONE push of a button (even if your phone is on silent mode).
2. Works with EVERY Smartphone - Phone Finder is a Bluetooth v2.1 based hardware, designed specifically to locate your phone. Bluetooth v2.1 is the only Bluetooth version to have both forward and backward compatibility, which allows Phone Finder to work on every Smartphone. it is not limited to an IOS or Android version. In comparison, Bluetooth v4.0 based products only support a very limited number of smartphone models.
3. Three Years on a single charge - We developed a cutting edge technology which enables Phone Finder to consume energy only when activated. Since, it deactivates automatically when not in use. This translates to minimum battery consumption on both your phone and the Phone Finder. if you use Phone Finder approximately 5 times a week it should last up to 3 years.
4. Any Time Any Where - Phone Finder will locate your phone from up to 50 feet (15m) away. In fact, that is the distance most people are able to hear their phone. Overriding silent and vibrate mode, Phone Finder will make your phone reveal itself no matter what.
In case your phone is out of range, don't be alarmed! You can always log on to our website and locate your phone on the map.
5. Easy Setups - Setting up Phone Finder is as easy as 1-2-3
Open the app > click the Phone Finder icon > You will be prompted to activate BT, Agree > click Phone Finder > go to Bluetooth settings > search for devices > pair with Phone Finder.
And you’re done! Just one Phone Finder click away from your device!
"Necessity Is the Mother of Invention"
We sought a solution to a problem which has plagued us ever since we got our first phone. Being individuals who lead full and busy lives, we found ourselves wasting a lot of valuable time searching for our cellphones, this motivated us to invent the Phone Finder.
Realizing the routine of searching for the cellphone is probably performed all around the world, I started conducting research for possible solutions already on the market, and to my surprise and dismay I found that there is no solution currently available which gives answer to my needs and wants.
Did you know that 7 out of 10 people admit to misplacing their phones at least several times a week and then spend valuable time looking for it?
98% of those surveyed expressed an interest in finding a solution.
I decided to utilize my knowledge and experience as a computer engineer to create Phone Finder, with these three baseline principles.
1. A simple and quick one-click solution
2. No maintenance – No charging
3. Availability on EVERY smartphone, not limited by OS versions.
Following these three principles I discovered that there is no Bluetooth device in existence capable of using energy only when used, such as for example the trustworthy TV-remote, which is capable of providing years of work on the strength of a single battery.
That lead me to begin my design of the Phone Finder circuits and firmware, and to accomplish my goals.
Designed for a specific purpose
Once the button is pressed, Phone Finder
makes use of its battery for only 5 seconds, just enough time for it to contact
your phone and prompt it to disclose its location. The battery is so effective
that it can be used over 5,000 times before depleting. If the average person
misplaces their phone 5 times a week, than it is safe to say that the Phone Finder will last for up to 3 years - without a single charge!
When the battery does eventually run out you can always recharge it easily using a regular micro-sub connector.
Range and functionality
Phone Finder will locate your phone from 50 feet (15m) away, which is the distance most people are able to hear their phones
ring. Overriding silent and vibrate mode, Phone Finder will make your phone ring no matter what.
In case your phone is out of range, don't be alarmed! You can always log onto our website and locate your phone on the map.
The alarm feature is fully customizable allowing you to choose your preferred ringtone and set it as loud and as noticeable as you like as well as add vibration. Not only will your phone ring and vibrate, the screen and camera will flash by default, allowing you to locate your phone easily even in the darkest of places such as under the car seat.
Goal: In order to make sure Phone Finder doesn’t require charging, we had to design it to consume energy only when pressed, and only for the necessary amount of time. This was a huge technical challenge which required a revolutionary development. We manipulated Bluetooth to activate, transmit and communicate with the phone and then shut off automatically in order to drastically conserve energy. This way we guaranteed that if you own a Phone Finder you never have to think about charging it or maintaining it in any way – we created a product that is ALWAYS good-to-go when needed.
1. Because it hasn't been done before, my first step was to make sure my idea was even possible to program effectively, Therefore, before I created my own hardware from scratch I decided to temporarily use Arduino as a baseline to program my firmware. I created a proof of concept which, I am happy to inform, was an incredible success, making Phone Finder possible.
2. The choice between Bluetooth versions was a defining moment for Phone Finder.After conducting research I learned that even though BT v4 has a very low energy consumption its availability is very limited and it is usable only on the newest phones and OS versions. BT v2.1, on the other hand, will work on every Smartphone, but it consumes a lot more energy. So what I did at this point was take BT v2.1 and reinvent its functionality, transforming it to an on-demand energy consumption technology (patented).
3. The next step was setting Arduino aside and developing my own hardware, trying to keep it a small a size as possible, since no one wants to walk around with something huge and clunky. The goal was a keychain-sized apparatus. After testing many different types of hardwareI chose to use only the highest quality bluetooth component on the market, which is tiny, has a long range and a long life-span.
The printed circuit board was a challenge in itself., Aware that I needed to create something that can be fully controlled with only a single click of a button, the firmware code needed to be perfectly fitted to the PCB design.
4. After my initial hardware was finished the firmware code development began.I knew that in order to keep my goal of a no-charge-needed product, I would still need complete control over the electricity circuits to coincide with my code, just like I did with the Arduino hardware. I then started coding a new firmware based on the one written for Arduino this time made for the specific bluetooth component I chose.
5. After I completed the firmware I went on to re-design the PCB, the rest of the hardware and the plastic which will encase it. making it as small as possible. I finally settled on the minuscule size of 1”/2”, a size that is just right for a key-chain but also large enough to see with the naked eye.
6. Having achieved the first of my two goals: one-click activation and the lowest possible energy consumption, the final step of the development was making sure Phone Finder works on every Smartphone by developing the appropriate applications for: Android (ready), Apple (nearly ready) and Windows Phone (upcoming)
Why should you support our Kickstarter?
Today when I know that all of our goals and dreams regarding Phone Finder are technologically possible, the product is already up and running on Android devices and we are spending these days working on the iPhone app. The one essential component we are lacking is financial support.
In addition, since this is a device with a complex design I can only manufacture it in bulk in a factory designed especially for it.In order to cover the factory and item manufacturing costs I have to sell a large quantity of Phone Finder units.
Obtaining your financial support will guarantee Life for the Phone Finder, allowing us to eventually manufacture it by demand and not bulk, and to ship the item straight to your doorstep.
On a final note, I would like to say a word to all the iPhone and Windows Phone users out there. Even though the apps are not finished yet, we are far beyond the research and development stage, and are working on the final kinks - we guarantee in good faith that the Phone Finder will be fully functional on EVERY Smartphone
Phone Finder is in the News!
Kicking it Forward - http://kickingitforward.org
Risks and challenges
We are experienced engineers that have delivered major projects for big brands. We will do our absolute best to make this project happens on time and on spec. The deadline we've set has a built-in contingency and we've been conservative in estimating manufacturing and shipping dates.
We already have a working prototype, and an Android app. Now we are working on our Apple a Windows-Phone app, and are making very good progress.
We need your support to start mass production and make sure that no one will ever lose his phone again.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)