About this project
"Hi, How Are You" is a collaborative short film by a group of dedicated Daniel Johnston fans (creators of the film Archie's Final Project) and Daniel himself. It's a musical tale of an aging artist encountering psychedelic dreams, nightmares, and characters from his past. We began shooting with a simple outline: an intimate interview between Daniel and his younger self addressing his most prolific and maddening era. Our hope was to bring his stories, memories and art to life. What ensued during shooting was beyond anything our crew could have hoped for. Daniel not only opened up and told stories none of us had ever heard, but embraced and relished the idea of speaking with his younger self, gifting advice and warnings from the future. That became the backbone of our script. As shooting continued Daniel interacted with imaginary creatures from his cast of Spirit World characters like Jeremiah and Joe the Boxer. It was a truly unreal and moving experience. The result is something that will appeal not only to Daniel fans, but to any artist trying to find their way.
Daniel Johnston is a prolific songwriter/artist who gained considerable notoriety in the last twenty years as an outsider, indie music genius, beginning with his fledgling self-promotion on the streets of Austin, Texas in the early eighties. Whether people were listening or not, however, Daniel continued to produce hundreds of songs and art pieces, compulsively expressing a frank, painful, and heart-rending account of love, life, and loss that strikes a chord in the heart of thousands who hear him. He has a remarkable following of fans, most notably the late Kurt Cobain who often wore Daniel's "Hi, How Are You" T-Shirt in public, Matt Groening of "The Simpson's", David Bowie, and an ongoing list of key figures in the music and art world. Daniel has produced over twenty albums, as many singles, and his music is included on numerable compilations, movie sound tracks, and TV ads. He has appeared on MTV, traveled the globe performing, exhibited his art around the world, including at the Whitney Museum of American Art, had several documentaries made about him - one a Sundance winner - and several books recounting his legendary life. From nightmarish tales of madness in mental institutions and plane crashes to his fairy tale achievements on MTV, Daniel Johnston has spent the last 30 or so years exposing his heartrending tales of unrequited love, cosmic mishaps, and existential torment to an ever-growing international cult audience.
All donations go to post production. We spent a week shooting with Daniel and have a ton of footage to weave into our story. Our hope is to bring Daniel's Spirit World to life: from editing, animation and music to sound mixing and coloring, this is a post-heavy project with a ton of potential. With your help, we can make it a reality.
Storyboard Art by @5NE3R (Sneer)
Daniel is kind enough to donate art and props from our shoot and the show at the Open Borders music festival. During production of the film, Daniel signed and drew on many exciting treats for us to reward for Kickstarter support.
HOW TO PLEDGE AND BECOME A BACKER!
- Step 1: Read through the pledge levels and rewards we're offering in the right sidebar of this page.
- Step 2: Click the large, green "BACK THIS PROJECT" button to the right of the trailer video at the top of this page.
- Step 3: Enter your pledge amount - and complete the steps for filling in your information. This process takes just a few minutes!
Special note: Your pledges aren't actually processed by Kickstarter unless the campaign is 100% successful. We meet our goal or we get nothing!
IMPORTANT LEGAL STUFF!
- Everything that appears in our project and related projects will be at our sole discretion.
- If you win the animation prize, its content will be at our direction and our sole discretion.
- Prize awards will be sent in as-is condition and whether or not they appear in the project is at our sole discretion. Prize awards will be mailed via ground shipping as soon as feasible once the requested funding has been obtained.
- In order to appear in the project, you must be a US citizen or have a valid Visa, not a member of any film-industry labor unions (such as SAG or AFTRA), over the age of 18 or with full consent from a legal guardian, and with a signed release or other legal paperwork that we may require.
- This project's fundraising campaign is subject to applicable Kickstarter rules/regulations, movie guild rules, and other applicable law.
- As is customary in the industry, we retain ownership and copyrights to all aspects of the project, including the short film, related films, artwork, copy, merchandise, and music, including any drawings or portraits of prize-winners.
- Making movies is a difficult and unpredictable business and artform. We cannot make any representations as to the project's quality or content, the completion date, the delivery date of the project or prizes, or even the realistic likeness of any animation or portraits. In short, we cannot guarantee everything will come together as originally planned, but we will be putting forth our maximum effort to create an amazingly entertaining film and send you unique prizes that come from Daniel Johnston's uniquely masterful and creative mind.
Thank you so much for your support!
Risks and challenges
We are dedicated to telling this story and bringing Daniel's Spirit World to life. Any additional funds we receive will go towards making this film a better, more animated project. Our schedule is in place to make the best movie possible. There are always setbacks during post-production. Between additional shoots, animation and sound design there's a whole lot that can set us back so please be patient, this is a huge project for a small group of indie filmmakers.
At this point we don't know when or where the film will premier. We will update you as soon as we know more! Our gifts are ready to send out to you as a thank you for your donations. The digital downloads will take some time so please be patient.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (26 days)