About this project
Parva is a revolutionary new polyphonic analog synthesizer that combines the classic warmth of an all-analog signal chain with the modern convenience of digital control in an elegantly designed tabletop package.
Parva is the most affordable polyphonic analog synthesizer on the market.
A combination of modular design, smart sourcing, and selling direct has enabled us to spend more on quality components and domestic manufacturing while still offering Parva at an amazingly affordable price.
- ANALOG From the oscillators and wave-shapers to the voltage-controlled filters (VCF) and snappy OTA-based voltage-controlled amplifiers (VCA), Parva's signal path is 100% analog. There's no DSP here.
- DIGITAL Parva's digital controls enable you to save and recall patches instantaneously, change parameters via MIDI, and route LFOs and envelopes to more than 40 destinations in the modulation matrix, all without the hassle of patch cables.
- POLYPHONY Parva can be configured for up to eight note polyphony. Extremely flexible voice assignment allows you to stack as many voices as you like for more complex sounds, split the keyboard up to eight ways, or both in any combination. Parva's polyphony support even extends to aftertouch control.
- CONTROL With its smooth analog potentiometers, Parva gives you direct access to all of the most commonly used parameters. Plus, each section of the synth has additional settings displayed on a high-visibility OLED, so the perfect patch is never more than a click away.
- CONNECTIVITY Parva is the first analog synthesizer to feature a USB Master port, which allows you to connect any class-compliant USB MIDI keyboard — or other controller — directly, without the need for a computer. Of course, standard MIDI DIN in and out connections and a "normal" USB port are also included, as well as individual outputs for each voice, and a stereo headphone jack.
- CONSTRUCTION From the aluminum enclosure to the custom-machined aluminum knobs on sturdy panel-mounted pots, Parva was designed with working musicians in mind, and built to last. Each unit is hand-assembled in Austin, TX.
Parva can be configured as an expandable monophonic synthesizer, or as an eight-note polyphonic, eight-voice multi-timbral synth.
Each voice contains the following:
- 3 Digitally-controlled analog oscillators
- Sawtooth, triangle, and PWM waveforms
- New Feature: Variable-width saw waves
- Tunable +/- 5 octaves
- Hard Syncable
- Independent level controls
- 2 serial-connected multi-mode filters
- 24db or 12db low-pass or high-pass modes
- 12db bandpass mode
- Filter FM
- 4 4-stage (ADSR) envelopes
- Exponential curves for punchy attack and natural decay
- Linear mode also available
- New Feature: Loopable envelopes
- Routable to >40 destinations
- 4 LFOs
- Sine, sawtooth, triangle, and square waveforms
- Random sample-and-hold
- New Feature: Stepped LFOs
- Free-running or key-synced
- Routable to >40 destinations
- Polyphonic Aftertouch
- New Feature: Individual 1/4" stereo line-level outputs for each voice
- 1/4" left and right main outputs
- Stereo 1/4" headphone jack
- MIDI DIN input and output
- USB MIDI port
- USB Master port for direct connection of USB MIDI controllers
Risks and challenges
Manufacturing hardware is a complex and expensive undertaking. We've developed a production-ready prototype and have received quotes from multiple PCB and metal fabrication houses. We also have a team in Austin ready to begin assembling synths as soon as the parts are produced.
We've designed Parva to be as easy to build as possible -- the modular voice-card architecture simplifies manufacturing and assembly, and other than the enclosure and knobs, all of the components are off-the-shelf industry-standard parts with multiple sources.
In addition to his years of electronics design experience, Brad Ferguson has overseen factory production of boutique amplifiers and effects pedals, and has managed worldwide supply chains of electronic components for a Fortune 500 multinational.
Based on our planning and experience, we are confident that Parva can be produced and delivered within our estimated timeframe.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)