MONUMENTAL™ is an epic miniatures boardgame of civilization, conquest and expansion, for 1 to 4 players EXCLUSIVE to Kickstarter.
Accédez à la traduction en français de la page du projet en cliquant ici.
This project is KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE and will not be available in retail. (Please check the “Kickstarter Exclusive?” section for more details).
- A civilization deck-building game
- Unique “cross-tapping” game mechanics
- Modular board with hex-shaped tiles for replayability
- Detailed soldier, hero & city minis for each civilization
- 1-4 players
- 90 minutes
The Core Box
The Core Box of Monumental includes all the components of the game except for the miniatures that come with the Army box (see below). The Core Box includes the cards for each civilization (starting cards: buildings, knowledge, warlord, cultural policies), the cards for each era (Classical, Medieval, Modern), plus all necessary terrain hexes and markers to play the game.
Each civilization starts the game with 21 cards, including 13 common Building cards, 1 unique Building card, 1 unique Knowledge card, 1 Warlord card, and 5 Cultural Policies.
Also, the following cards form the central row and are common to all players : 15 Classical cards, 12 Medieval cards and 8 Modern cards in the central deck, plus 30 advanced Building cards (Laboratory, Archery Range and Workshop).
The Core Box also includes 1 rule booklet + 1 scenario booklet with preset scenarios as well as 1 Civilization booklet with details on each playable civilization of the game. These scenarios feature various suggested maps, but if you want to build your own maps with the terrain hexes, it’s up to you! For instance, the “Clash of Titans” scenario features a small map that encourages players to attack each other, while the “Quiet Pastures” scenario is a much larger map where players can live their life without fearing an aggressive neighbor.
The Core Box is also designed to store all the non-minis stretch goals components. Its specific tray is designed to ease the setup process thanks to separate boxes for each type of cards.
The Army Box
The Army Box is designed to store all the game’s minis, as well as the stretch goals. This means that minis from other civilizations can be placed in the army box as well.
Each civilization comes with 20 highly detailed soldier miniatures (30 mm) as well as a bigger Warlord miniature (50 mm) to lead them into battle. Each civilization also has its own Capital miniature to mark its capital city on the board.
We already have planned several stretch goals including new game components such as new hero packs (including one miniature per hero and a new card type acting specifically), new cards (wonders, technologies, etc.) but also some surprises... Stay tuned for more info!
MONUMENTAL™ is a massive board game for 2 to 4 players where you’ll compete with your opponents to lead your prestigious civilization through the ages. Assemble your military forces to conquer new territories, focus on scientific research to enhance your civilization’s abilities, build breathtaking wonders to harness their unique advantages, and develop your cultural policies to guide your people to victory. The fate of your civilization is upon you!
Each civilization has its own deck of cards, as well as a warlord figure and soldier miniatures. On each turn, you’ll be able to draw and activate cards, combining their effects to develop your civilization and conquer the world. But you’re not alone in this race, as your opponents will try and outrun you as soon as they can. A game of Monumental plays over different eras, each of them featuring new cards to acquire and use. At the very beginning of the game, you control a small town in some remote country that nobody has ever heard of. Yet by the end of the game, thanks to the many cards that you will acquire, all will admire your monumental city, the jewel of a glorious nation!
As war is inevitable, you’ll need to lead your troops to combat when necessary. Fight the barbarians to loot their resources, then wage war against your opponents! Each civilization comes with 20 finely sculpted unique miniatures that you’ll be able to deploy on a richly illustrated modular game board to take control of the world. After all, war is nothing but the continuation of politics with other means, as they say…
Not a warmonger? Then maybe focus on Knowledge to enhance your cards’ abilities and gain more resources. Build Libraries, Laboratories and Colleges to educate your people. Then use this knowledge to gain powerful cards that will allow you to do more actions in a single turn. Another solution would be to focus on Culture: various actions you take in the game will develop the culture of your empire, which in turn allows you to deploy special cultural policies with permanent advantages.
And of course, what would be a civilization without its wonders? The Great Pyramid, Stonehenge, the Great Wall… all have powerful in-game effects that will allow your empire to rise to glory. Building wonders is another way to assert your dominance over your opponents in Monumental, and a great way to show your greatness to the world.
The path to glory will not be simple. You need to find the proper balance between all these possibilities to achieve victory… and this will take time. But after all, Rome wasn’t built in one day!
Go big… Go Monumental!
How to play?
Check our pre-campaign Facebook posts to have a quick overview of the game!
- Monumental: the Game Board
- The Cards of Monumental
- The Cities of Monumental
- The Cards of Monumental: Buildings
- The Cards of Monumental: Knowledge
- The Cards of Monumental: Wonders
Please note that we are currently working on the graphic layout of the rules. However, you may already access the prototype PDF file (which is absolutely not what the final files will be ;) ) of the current status of the CORE rules. Please note also that, despite the fact that these rules have been thoroughly tested, they may still evolve during the campaign tweaking and fine tuning process.
Add-on Civilization: Mughals
Led by the famous Akbar the Great, the Mughals are ready to reveal the power of their civilization to their opponents! Their special Knowledge, State Administration, allows them to have better control over their civilization deck and they can easily produce culture thanks to their unique building, the Burial Tomb.
The Mughal civilization comes with a civilization deck of 21 cards (including cultural policies), a capital miniature, 20 detailed soldier miniatures and one Warlord miniature, Akbar the Great.
Add-on Civilization: Aztecs
Fear the ferocious Eagle warriors of Montezuma! Dedicated to the glory of their Sun God, Aztecs will go as far as sacrificing their own units for the glory of civilization, and to gain gold and resources. Luckily, their Herbal Medicine Knowledge can bring them back from the dead and into combat! Underestimating the Aztecs would be a grievous mistake.
The Aztec civilization comes with a civilization deck of 21 cards (including cultural policies), a capital miniature, 20 detailed eagle warrior miniatures and one Warlord miniature, Montezuma.
Add-on Civilization: Atlantis
Coming from the depths of the ocean, the Atlanteans wait for the right moment to rise and surge through the world. They may cross or conquer sea regions and can strike where nobody expects them. Control of the sea allows them to gain gold easily, and they are not to be treated lightly! Their warlord is the legendary Atlas, King of Atlantis.
The Atlantis civilization comes with a civilization deck of 21 cards (including cultural policies), a capital miniature, 20 detailed soldier miniatures and one Warlord miniature, Atlas.
Add-on Civilization: Amazons
Charging through hills and plains on their swift warhorses, Amazons are fierce women that show no mercy when it comes to battle. Their queen Hippolyta leads them to combat and nothing can stop their military force. Ride with them to victory, … or against them, at your own risk.
The Amazon civilization comes with a civilization deck of 21 cards (including cultural policies), a capital miniature, 20 detailed Amazon miniatures and one Warlord miniature, Hippolyta.
- TRIC TRAC: “Designed specifically for Kickstarter, so that players have a great deal of fun playing it.”
- THE GAME PIT PODCAST: “It's an interesting game, I enjoyed it and I'd like to play it again.”
- CANARD PC: “Nothing to say, civilization board game lovers feel at home”.
- SYFANTASY: “EXplore, eXpand, eXploit and eXterminate. Such an atmosphere reminds us of the best civilization games. As far as gameplay is concerned, there is a strong deckbuilding aspect with multiple strategic combos. And, best of all, Funforge decided to add minis to these mechanics, giving an extra dimension to the game.”
- GEEK MAGAZINE: “A deck-building and conquest civilization game that is innovative, dynamic and fun, playable in less than 2 hours - we recommend it!”
- UN MONDE DE JEUX/ LE MONDE: “We were lucky enough to play a few turns of Monumental at the International Game Fair in Cannes, and we quite liked the game mechanisms!”
- LE LABO DES JEUX:“Monumental is a true 4x game (eXploration, eXtermination, eXpansion, eXploitation) that do not keep cards close to its chest. With nice card illustrations and superb soldier and warlord miniatures, we were promised a classic, yet with a graphic identity of its own.”
- BORDEL DE NERDS: “Monumental plays with simple rules but features all the depth of a true civilization game... it could open the genre to new players, beyond the usual expert gamers.”
- LES DRAGON NAINS: “We like the innovative game system and the relatively short games for a civilization-like.”
- CARNET DES GEEKERIES: “Meet us at Kickstarter to fall for Monumental!”
- EXTRALIFE: “I liked it a lot […] A very dense and rich game.”
My name is Matthew Dunstan, and I’m a research scientist and game designer based in Cambridge, UK. I started designing games about 8 years ago, when I was still living in Australia, and to date I have had 11 published designs. Monumental is my second game with Funforge following the release of Professor Evil and The Citadel of Time last year. Monumental is a fitting title for the game, considering it is the most ambitious of my designs to date!
While the origin of Monumental isn’t as old as the Pyramids or Stonehenge, it is still one with many twists and turns, a journey that started over 4 years ago. At the heart of Monumental is a new mechanic I call ‘cross-tapping’, where you deal cards from your deck into a 3 x 3 grid, and you choose 1 row and 1 column of cards to use on your turn. In this very simple system, you already have all the tools for some very satisfying combos, and every turn you are presented with engaging and interesting decisions.
I was intrigued by deck-building games, which are interesting by the fact of them offering a random selection of cards from your deck each turn, and then you have to make the most of what you have been dealt. But the interest is not really in the playing of the cards – once you have a hand your choice of actions is mostly automatic. I wanted this feeling of getting a new set of opportunities each turn, but with some juicy decisions as to how to use these opportunities. What do you need to do right now, and what can wait until later? Do you pull off a small combo now, or wait and hope for something even better? Hopefully this tension and excitement permeates through Monumental from its core mechanism.
Funforge has done an amazing job bringing my design to life, immersing you in the world of mighty armies, feats of technological advancement and towering wonders. The choices you make in Monumental will ultimately tell the tale of your civilization...what will you be remembered for?
Pledge levels will be available in English or French. You’ll have to choose the language of your pledge in the Pledge Manager, after the campaign completion.
Les niveaux de pledge seront disponibles en français ou en anglais. Vous devrez choisir la langue de votre pledge dans le Pledge Manager, à l'issue de la campagne.
Shipping will be charged after the Kickstarter campaign completion.
We will collect all information through the Pledge Manager in order to dispatch your pledge to the most accurate of our international shipping hubs.
Here are the initial estimates for the shipping costs depending on your area of living. Please, keep in mind that these costs may rise depending on the evolution of the campaign (unlocked stretch goals which will increase the weight of the parcel) and on the potential add-ons you would add to your initial pledge during the Pledge Manager phase.
- USA: 20€ to most states
- EUROPE: 20€ to France, Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg. 20-30€ to the rest of the UE countries.
- CANADA: 30€ to most cities
- LATIN AMERICA: 50€ to most countries.
- BRAZIL: 95€.
- ASIA: 20€ to China and Hong Kong. 35€ to most other countries.
- OCEANIA: 20€ to Australia. 45€ to New Zealand.
- FRENCH TERRITORIES: 50€ to Réunion, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Mayotte, Guyane.
- REST OF THE WORLD (all unlisted countries): 115€ to most other countries.
We cannot ship to PO Boxes domestically or internationally, and to the following countries: Cuba, Iran, Burma (Myanmar), Sudan, North Korea and Syria.
Please note that these prices are NOT including the possible brokerage and/or custom fees and/or local taxes that may apply to your country, these fees are at the customer's charge (i.e. you).
The decision of making this project a Kickstarter exclusive is the result of a long and precise thinking.
In short, we had the choice of offering a « regular » game at a « regular » price or a fantastic game at a fair price.
We decided to go for the second option as we believe that this game desserves the best from our publishing efforts. Notably we have put a lot of hard work for months into the testing process but most and foremost into the production works, hiring dozens of stellar artists to turn each of the card artwork into a masterpiece. This is also true regarding the mini pre-production process for which we aimed to fantastic sculptures and unique (and expensive) design choices such as for the Capital cities. These are just some examples of our commitment into making MONUMENTAL™ a unique experience for you.
We are used to publish games for ten years now and we know fairly well the distribution network and how it works. Should we chose to let this game go to the regular network, it would have been financially unsunstaible for us because of the cascading margins of the classic distribution scheme.
For the very same reason, we do not offer any retailer pledge as it would mean offering the game at roughly 50% of its KS price which simply means for us to lose a lot of money each time a unit would be sold and this does not make any sense.
- Game Designer: Matthew Dunstan
- Publisher: Funforge
- Art Direction: Philippe Nouhra
- Artworks: Paul Mafayon, Georges "Gorg" Bouchelaghem, Fajareka Setiawan, Agri Karuniawan, Asep Ariyanto, Maerel Hibadita, Tey Bartolome, Justine Cruz, Wyn Lacabra, Raph Lomotan, Brian Valeza, Chang-Wei Chen, Andreas Rocha, Marco Gorlei, Hendry Iwanaga, Philippe Nouhra, Charles-Victorien Kaing, Grafit Studio, Ivan Sevic, Roman Tishenin, Piotr Dura, Eugenia Firs, Jordan Albro, Orion Vang
- Lead sculptor: Charles-Victorien Kaing
- Additional sculptors: Alfonso Gonso, Nicolas Pessina
- Translator & rules editing: Antoine Prono, Gersende Cheylan
- Publisher Testing: Philippe Nouhra, Antoine Prono, Claude Amardeil, Thomas Baggi-Sani
- Community Manager: Charlotte Noailles
- Assistant Community Manager: Romain Malardé
Funforge social networks
- Official FB page: @MONUMENTALboardgame
- Funforge FB page: @Funforge
- Twitter: @funforge
- Instagram: @funforge
- To spread the word! Your help is precious #monumental @funforge #kickstarter #ks
Risks and challenges
FUNFORGE is a well-known international publisher, producing high-quality games since 2008. We have published dozen of games worldwide, and our titles have received many awards.
We are working with numerous suppliers and partners in the USA, in Europe, and in Asia for many years, and the quality of our games is internationally recognized.
After 3 succesfully fullfiled KS campaigns from which we learned a lot, and hundreds of thousands of games delivered to distributors and retailers, manufacturing and shipping are a well known story for us.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)