Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on May 11, 2012.
About this project
*Above is a piece I did of a homeless man busking near Portland State University
Breaking down barriers one day at a time.
This project is all about breaking down barriers and misconceptions that society has formed about art, music, dance and theater. These perceptions are what guide the media and the world to tell us what these forms of expression should be. On January 12th of 2007, world renowned violinist Joshua Bell performed one of the most difficult violin solo's in the world at a busy subway in Washington DC. Few noticed, and even fewer cared. Like many, he joined a group of amazing artists who have enjoyed Busking throughout America including Bon Jovi, KT Tunstall, Tracy Chapmen and many more.
The perception of quality has been based on whether they have certain achievements: a record label, are they being displayed at a prominent gallery or heard in a famous concert halls. We see these talents only based on the social status they give us. My project is designed to show the world that art is everywhere and is for everyone, not just those who can afford it.
For this project, I will travel to six US cities known for street performers. I will then photograph them creating their art. Using the photographs from the trip as a template to accurately depict these performers, I will then take those photographs and turn them into high quality unique paintings all using a digital canvas. The digital medium is still not widely accepted and I am trying to change that by showing people that my work is no less artistic then those who use oils, and acrylics as their mediums.
With your pledges and support, I will be one step closer to showing the world not only the incredible talent that street performers have, but that those of us who choose digital mediums for our art are just as creative and important to society as those who choose traditional mediums.'
This project will end with a wonderful holiday show, featuring all the pieces from the collection (the special edition pieces will be displayed but not available for sale). The event will occur during the 2012 winter holiday season (depending on availability of venue). The event will have one of each piece on display and will be part of the limited run for the pieces. The special edition pieces will be displayed on high resolution digital picture frames.
(capturing the essence of Jazz these two were busking in front of Skidmore Fountain in Portland, Oregon)
Recognition will be given to all pledge levels on my website and in the special edition coffee table book produced only for my kickstarter pledges.
Here is what your money will go to:
New and updated equipment:
- Additional camera body,
- Updated computer to handle the increased work load of creating these pieces in a shorter amount of time,
- High quality art printers enabling me to produce Giclées at home. (This would allow me to reduce the price of my art for everyone, not only those who have a lot of money)
Travel: This is a very expensive under taking and I am not a wealthy person. A portion of the money will go to:
- Travel expenses
- Food (because we all need to eat)
- Car if needed
Final production, shipping, and other costs:
- The left over money will be used to print and ship these unique pieces to all my supporters.
- It will also cover the cost of processing fees that kickstarter and Amazon need to keep their lights on.
The Art Show: Costs are high for an event like this
- The venue, a place where the pieces can be displayed and hold over 100 guests.
- Cost to cater the event
- Cost for custom invitations
- Cost to hire a band for the event
The cities I am going to travel to are:
- 1) Seattle, Washington (June 8th-15th 2012)
- 2) San Fransisco, California (June 15th-22nd 2012)
- 3) Las Vegas, Nevada (June 22nd-29th 2012)
- 4) New Orleans, Louisiana (June 29th-July 6th 2012)
- 5) New York City, New York and (July 6th-13th 2012)
- 6) Chicago, Illinois. (July 13th-20th 2012)
*Dates are tentative and subject to change dependent on project funding.
Thank you all for your support! With your help, we can break down barriers and help to give representation to all those street performers who go unnoticed.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (30 days)