Frost Unity2HTML5 Toolkit (Canceled)
Frost Unity2HTML5 Toolkit (Canceled)
Create HTML5 web games from within the wildly popular and powerful Unity environment.
Create HTML5 web games from within the wildly popular and powerful Unity environment. Read more
Over 2.5 million registered Unity developers cannot be wrong. Unity is both powerful and versatile, with an vocal and enthusiastic user community. Why not use it to also create HTML5 games and have the best of both worlds?!
Unity is a cross-platform game engine, visual editor and framework that is used to build ‘native’ games for iOS, Android, Windows Phone, and numerous other platforms.
Unfortunately, Unity’s power does not extend to HTML5 as there is currently no way to build content for that platform. There are other solid frameworks that can be used to create HTML5 games such as Construct 2, ImpactJS and PlayCanvas, but none combine power, versatility and ease of use with the strong support for which Unity is famous. At Frost.IO, we are leveraging our extensive experience to carefully craft the perfect mix that is the Frost Unity2HTML5 Toolkit!
Go Forth and Deploy Everywhere
Your HTML5 game or application can be deployed to multiple distribution channels including the Chrome Web Store, Amazon Appstore, Windows 8, Firefox Marketplace, Kik, Facebook, Playstation 4, Xbox One and Clay.IO for maximum audience exposure. You no longer need to box yourself into the tight restrictions, long development cycles and high user-acquisition costs of ‘those other app stores.’
Check out our Labs Page for a peek behind the scenes at a work-in-progress version of the Unity2HTML5 Toolkit including:
- A video demonstration of the development workflow from Unity to HTML5, and
- A playable HTML5 game generated from the toolkit
Our tiny team has been working for the last few months to prove that our framework is viable and performant on devices and browsers ranging from desktop to mobile. We now want to accelerate that effort with help from the Kickstarter community!
There is no need to load a single, monolithic runtime into your game - the dependent modules are detected and only those are loaded at runtime.
The FrostOneJS Runtime will be made available as open-source on GitHub. We actively encourage the community to contribute to its development.
The Frost Unity2HTML5 Toolkit, when added to your Unity game project, will export to web formats when a HTML5 Build is initiated:
- GameObject and Prefabs
- Sprite, Meshes, Textures, Sprite Atlases and Audio Clips
- Collision Shapes and RigidBody Components
- Game Scripts
- Type inference
- Anonymous types
- Generics Lambdas and Anonymous Delegates
- Constructor and Method Overloading
- Get/Set Properties
Our HTML5 render engine is targeted for 60 FPS and utilizes WebGL for blazing GPU-accelerated speed on browsers that support it, falling back on Canvas 2D when a WebGL context in unavailable.
We are sticklers for performance, which is why we are tuning our FrostOneJS Runtime to run well on browsers and devices across desktop and mobile devices. In addition to minimizing processing time per render loop iteration, we utilize Web Workers to take advantage of concurrency on multi-core CPUs. GC-related hits to the frame rate are largely avoided with object pools. Typed arrays and packed sprite atlases are used to help minimize the memory footprint at start-up time.
The Basic Toolkit, will be provided free and without royalties for all games created with it. It works in conjunction with Unity’s latest 2D features including Sprites, Sprite Packing, 2D Physics and Collisions. Use this to easily create scrolling platform games, top-down shooters, racers, puzzle games and more.
The planned features for the first public release are:
- Exports: Scenes, Scene Hierarchy, GameObjects, Prefabs, Sprites, Sprite Atlases, Textures, 2D Collision Shapes, Audio Clips
- 2D Render Engine optimized for WebGL with fallback support for Canvas
- 2D Sprite Animation and Animation Events
- 2D Physics Engine (Box2D)
- Audio Engine supporting both Web Audio API and HTML5 Audio
- Input support for Keyboard, Mouse and Touch
- Profile Settings for various HTML5 Targets: iOS Safari, Desktop Chrome, WebView, etc.
- Tutorials, Documentation and Sample Projects
The Pro Toolkit, which is planned to sell for $2499 USD per seat and royalty-free, includes all Basic Toolkit features, and adds:
- Particle Systems (2D & 3D)
- Built-in Unity Shaders (2D Sprite and 3D), RenderTextures, BlendModes
- 2D Skeletal Sprite Animation with integrated Unity editor
- Input support for Gamepad
- 3D Render Engine
- 3D Meshes
- 3D Collision Shapes
- 2D & 3D Unity Animation / Controller Support
- 3D Physics Engine
- Basic Shadow & Lighting
- Selection of Starter Kits for 2D & 3D games
- Custom Shader support
- Camera & Accelerometer support
- Publish Plugins for Amazon Appstore, Chrome Web Store, Clay.IO, Kik, and more.
- FrostBox Game Services. Host your HTML5 games, connect to Score, Leaderboard, Data Storage, Social and Multiplayer services.
Risks and challenges
Our engineers have been in the games development industry for 20 years, from the largest developer/publisher to tiny indies. We've created workflow tools, back end services and games for platforms ranging from PCs to the latest mobile devices.
Our Unity2HTML5 Toolkit has already been in active development for a six months, and we have a functional workflow to prove it; capable of building a simple Unity project, with arts assets and scripts. The end result run wells in both desktop and mobile environments as you can see by our early live demo.
Having proven the tool chain works well, we now need to build out features in both the tool chain, cross-compiler and FrostOneJS engine.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)