This project's funding goal was not reached on June 2, 2013.
About this project
WHY WE WANTED TO DO THIS
Ok, so first of all I wanted to thank you again for taking the time to hear about our story. There has been a massive amount of work that has gone in to it, and WE ARE SO CLOSE! We just need YOUR HELP. We have big dreams for this story. The truth is that we want this book eventually to be released worldwide in many different countries and languages. Right now we just need to get these illustrations complete and to have it self published.
I am honored to work alongside the world renowned artist J.E. Larson. We have put a lot of time, energy, and money into creating this story and making these characters come to life.
With your help this book will be FULLY illustrated with extreme attention to detail and lively images that children of all ages will enjoy.
This book will include 30 full color illustrations done without the use of any computers. The cover, binding, and the back of the book will also be created by J.E. Larson.
ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE PAGE YOU WILL FIND SOME STUFF WE WANT TO GIVE BACK TO YOU!
This book will become a reality because of YOU. We are so thankful for all your help and support and it's only fair that we give back to you as you are the ones that will make this a dream come true. We want to be very generous with you all and want you to be a part of this books future Because you are it's future!
PLEASE "LIKE" THE FROG AND HIS FRIENDS ON FACEBOOK IF YOU CAN!
CLICK HERE: https://www.facebook.com/FrogInTheTree?ref=hl
Anything you can give will get us that much closure to getting this into the hands of kids all over the world.
UPDATE: HOW DO I GET A COPY OF THE PRINTED BOOK?
Now obviously this Kickstarter Campaign is to raise the funds for the illustrations to bring this book to life. We have had a TON of inquiries about how we can get this book into your hands. So, what we will do is contact EVERYONE who pledged ANYTHING as soon as the book is published.
****ANY DONATION OF $100 OR MORE WILL GET YOU THE ACTUAL BOOK AS SOON AS ITS PUBLISHED "Dates will vary depending upon completion date of illustrations and publication"****
But FIRST what we need to do is get these illustrations, that is the hardest part, the publishing is not an issue as we already have the company we are publishing with. So, if you can help us get these illustrations, we will be that much closure to getting the book in your hands to enjoy.
WHY DIDN'T YOU USE COMPUTER ILLUSTRATIONS?
That is a good question. Now, we have nothing against computer created art at all, there is tons of books out there that look fantastic, however, we wanted to create a children' book done in the old world style, using the same techniques that our favorite illustrators used dating all the way back to the 15th century.
It takes a MASSIVE amount of time and hard work to create these illustrations when working with physical tools, and if you screw up an illustration while creating it, there is no erase tool, so, you throw it away and start again. It takes countless hours of tedious work to create each one of these hand made illustrations, and we think it pays off in the finished product.
I grew up on an old farm in upper Michigan, we didnt have computers, cell phones, or video games. I spent my childhood reading the old classical childrens stories when they were done with real pen and ink, wood cuts, hand coloring, and meticulously created.
There is just something special about any piece of art that is created by the hand of the artist, each piece is unique, one of a kind, and meticulously created.
WHAT THE STORY IS ABOUT
Obviously the title will give you some insight as to what the story is about, however, there is a lot more to it then just a frog who lives in a tree.
I will keep it brief as I do not want to give the story away just yet. It is written like a poem, a fable you could say. It is a story about a frog who runs away from home as he is teased for being very different than everyone else. He feels lonely, sad, and an outcast and so he burrows himself atop the branches of an old magical tree. But something happens to the frog while he is hiding up so high away from the world.
With the help of a small crow that had fallen from her nest the two embark on a wild, adventurous, and magical journey.
This story was written to help children understand that it is ok to be yourself. We all look different, feel different, have different ideas, and it's ok to accept the differences of ourselves and of others.
First of all I wanted to make the book because I haven't seen anything like it out there, but most importantly for it to be used as a tool by parents to enlighten, entertain, and inspire there children.
To teach kids to be courageous, kind, and to know we are not perfect, but we can achieve whatever we can in this life as long as we follow our hearts.
OVER 100 PRELIMINARY SKETCHES AND DESIGNS JUST TO CREATE THE COVER
WHAT WE PLAN TO DO WITH THIS BOOK.
Our plan for this book is HUGE. We want to start with the release of the book in the United States & Canada, however, we don't want to stop there. Our goal within 1 year is to have it released World Wide.
We are also going to have it submitted as soon as the Illustrations are complete and we have it self published to the following Competitions:
The Independent Publishers Book Awards
Benjamin Franklin Awards™
Children’s Book Award Contests for Self-published Authors
The Golden Kite Awards
The Moonbeam Children’s Book Awards
The Mom’s Choice Awards®
The Royal Dragonfly Book Awards
IF WE ARE SUCCESSFUL WE WILL BEGIN WORK ON ILLUSTRATING THREE OTHER UNRELEASED NOVELS "1200 PAGES WORTH"
Ok, so we are new to Kickstarter and this is our first campaign, however, if this goes well it will OPEN UP MANY NEW OPPORTUNITIES TO GIVE YOU EVEN MORE ! I have FOUR OTHER NOVELS that are unreleased, and if we do well here today, then we will begin work on the others as soon as we get the Illustrations completed for this one.
WE HAVE EVERYTHING RIDING ON THIS CAMPAIGN AND NEED YOUR UTMOST SUPPORT TO ENABLE US TO KEEP CREATING FOR YOU.
CHOOSING THE ILLUSTRATOR
This was a VERY TEDIOUS PROCESS!! As I stated in the video I had over 300 Illustrators contact me to be a part of this project. I had to go through each individuals portfolios to narrow it down, I do not know how many countless hours I spent reviewing all the submissions, but lets just say it was a lot!
Around 70% of the 300 Illustrators who contacted me were digital artists, and for this project I wanted it to have a classical feel to it. Now, some of the digital artists works were mind blowing, some were even very well known and had worked on multi-million dollar projects, however, it just didn't fit this kind of a story.
I was lucky enough to receive a submission from J.E. Larson. I saw something very special and unique in his work. His art was like no one else that submitted and truly stood alone.
**********UPDATE: ANY PLEDGE OF $20 OR MORE WILL GET YOU EVERYTHING INCLUDED IN THE PERTAINING PACKAGE PLUS AN ENTIRE DIGITAL MUSIC ALBUM FROM MY WEBSITE www.paulwatersmusic.com ********
ABOUT THE ILLUSTRATOR
J.E Larson is an internationally known artist with an extensive range of capabilities. He has worked on Published Alice in Wonderland Works, Work for Wired Magazine, and countless other successful authors. He is also one of the NICEST guys I have ever met in my life. We are absolutely honored to have him on board for this project and many others to comes.
J.E. Larson is host to numerous unrelated titles, some of which include barbering, burying and broomstick-watching – and on occasion, chimney-sweeping, crayoning, and hiding in bell towers – but most notably, illustrating. When not confined to the shadows of an ivy embraced abbey or the attic of a confectionery, he attempts to compose to paper visuals of a nonsensical nature with a disposition of mystery, monstrosity, and the macabre. Other times he pretends he is a pirate. An interest in the visual arts was instigated many years ago when he was visiting a rookery while abroad in Romania. It so happened that during this time one of the birds engaged him in conversation, and he having penned a quick sketch of the Parachute Jump – for a visual representation was politely requested – was told by the fowl that the depiction had been very fine. This gracious bit of praise influenced further experimentation and has continued to the present.
HALF A YEAR ALONE IN CHARACTER DESIGN..
We went back and forth so many times on these characters to refine them to what they are now because we were striving to capture the image and colors of them to a "t" and this consisted of hundreds of emails, phone calls, meetings, etc. Changing the look of the frog, the bird, the trees, the forest, the colors, different mediums, styles, needless to say it was a lot of work!
THE FROG IN THE TREE SEQUEL !
We don't just want to stop here with this book, our goal is to create numerous stories with the Frog and his little Crow friend. All of these will focus on different aspects of what we need the little ones of the world to learn at an early age. We would LOVE to make this into a series, and with your help today we will be able to begin another book soon for you.
WHAT WE WANT TO GIVE BACK
So, we are VERY appreciative of your help with this, more than we could ever say. We want to give you a lot of different options for prizes and gifts for your contributions, as it is only fair. Below you will find just a few extras that we will send your way for different pledges:
- $1 PledgeEVERYONE who pledges even the minimum $1 amount will receive there name in the title credits of the book upon publishing. We APPRECIATE YOU no matter how much you can help! :)
- $10 Package: Along with getting your name printed in the physical book and E-Book version you will also receive a personal thank you email from us thanking you for your much needed support and generosity.
- $20 Package: Your name in the Credits of the book, along with a personal thank you email and my previous novel "e-book"
- $25 Pledge:Your name if the credits of the book, Personal hand signed Thank you letter delivered through the mail with 2 Prints signed by Paul Waters the Author
- $50 Pledge: Your name in the Credits of the book, Personal hand signed letter, Hand Signed Print of the actual cover & Digital copy of my latest novel "The book of answers" Kindle Version or Email
- $100 Pledge: Your name in the credits of the book. Personal thank you letter with "2" Hand Signed Prints from J.E. Larson the illustrator, a copy of my latest novel for Kindle or e-books, as well as an additional autographed illustrated print by J.E. Larsen the illustrator PLUS A COPY OF THE ACTUAL BOOK UPON PUBLISHING DATE.
- $200 Pledge: Your name in the credits of the book, a personal hand signed thank you letter "mailed" including "4" prints from the book, a copy of my previous novel e-book Copy of the actual book upon publishing date complete, PLUS any Womens, Mens, or childrens shirt from below
- $250 Pledge: Your name in the credits of the book, a personal hand signed thank you letter "mailed" including "4" prints from the book, a copy of my previous novel e-book, PLUS any Womens, Mens, or childrens shirt from below Copy of the actual book upon publishing date complete PLUS The Frog in the Tree Coffee Mug
- $350 PLEDGE: Your name in the credits of the book, a personal hand signed thank you letter "mailed" including "4" prints from the book, a copy of my previous novel e-book, PLUS any Womens, Mens, or childrens shirt from below The Frog in the Tree Coffee Mug,Copy of the actual book upon publishing date complete PLUS THE FROG JUICE THERMOS
- $500 PLEDGE: Your name in the credits of the book, a personal hand signed thank you letter "mailed" including "2" prints from the book, a copy of my previous novel e-book, PLUS any Womens, Mens, or childrens shirt from below The Frog in the Tree Coffee Mug, "2" Copy of the actual book upon publishing date completeof the actual book upon publishing date complete PLUS A PERSONAL PHONE CALL FROM THE AUTHOR PAUL WATERS
- $1000 Pledge: Copy of the actual book upon publishing date complete Your name in the credits of the book, a personal hand signed thank you letter "mailed" including "2" prints from the book hand signed by the illustrator and the author, PLUS any Womens, Mens, or childrens shirt from below "Or the Sweatshirt" The Frog in the Tree Coffee Mug, Personal Phone call from the Author Paul Waters PLUS: An Original Hand Signed Original Sketch from the Illustrator J.E. Larsen with a hand written thank you note addressed to you "Not to be included in the actual book"
- $2000 Pledge:"10" Copies of the actual book upon publishing date completeYour name in the credits of the book, 4 Hand Signed Prints, Any Shirt from below, Frog in the Tree Coffee Mug, Personal Phone Call with the Author Paul Waters, Hand Made Illustration done made for YOU by J.E. Larson personally signed with thank you letter, My Previous Novel E-Book, PLUS AN AUDIO VERSION OF THE BOOK ON CD WITH A PERSONAL RECORDED THANK YOU
- $5000 Pledge: Your name in the credits of the book, 4 Hand Signed Prints, Any Shirt from below, Frog in the Tree Coffee Mug, Personal Phone Call with the Author Paul Waters, Hand Made Illustration done made for YOU in FULL COLOR by J.E. Larson personally signed with thank you letter My Previous Novel E-Book, audio version of the book with a personal recorded thank you."10"Copies of the actual book upon publishing date complete PLUS I WILL WRITE AN ENTIRE STORY FOR YOU AND INCLUDE YOU AS A MAIN CHARACTER! I will have you let me know what you want it to be about, or, I can create it on my own for you.
- $10,000 PLEDGE THE GRAND DADDY OF THEM ALL !!! And YES we will do this! Your name in the credits of the book,20 Copies of the actual book upon publishing date complete. Every Illustration in the book printed on high quality paper ALL Autographed by the artist, Any Shirt from below, Frog in the Tree Coffee Mug, Personal Phone Call with the Author Paul Waters, My Previous Novel "The Book of Answers" E-Book, audio version of the book with a personal recorded thank you. I will write a story for you and use you as one of the main characters. I will have you let me know what you want it to be about, or, I can create it on my own for you. Hand Made Illustration done made for YOU by J.E. Larson personally signed in Full Color.
- PLUS WE WILL PERSONALLY TRAVEL ANYWHERE IN THE U.S. Including Canada and Hawaii with NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. "If Overseas we do require plane travel and hotel" WE WILL COME ALL THE WAY TO YOU AND HAVE A PERSONAL READING OF YOUR BOOK "the one I am writing for you" ALONG WITH THE FROG IN THE TREE BOOK! WE WILL ALSO TAKE YOU TO DINNER One Request: No Frog Legs Please!
+++YOU CAN PICK AND CHOOSE WHAT YOU WANT AS LONG AS IT'S OF THE SAME VALUE AS YOUR PLEDGE. ALL ITEMS ARE CUSTOM MADE,ONE OF A KIND, AND NOT AVAILABLE IN ANY STORE+++
~(( Please Scroll down to see images of just some of the gifts you will receive with different pledge amounts ))
Custom Made High Quality Hoodie
All sizes Available
"Choose White or Heather Grey"
"FROG JUICE THERMOS"
A custom made Coffee/Tea Thermos made especially for you
Frog in the tree Coffee Mug
"Goes Great with Frog Juice!"
Custom White Shirt
Choose Kids or Adult "Any Size"
Womens Cap Sleeve Shirt
"ALL SIZES AVAILABLE "ALSO COMES IN RED & WHITE"
CUSTOM WOMENS TANK TOP
"Available in many different sizes"
Your very own "Feeling Froggy"
Underwear Boxer Shorts!
I mean who wouldn't want these!
"Available in all sizes"
A Frog in the Tree Custom hat in all sizes.
"Save a Frog eat a Chicken" Cooking Apron NEVER BEFORE SEEN!
Custom Made Infant Body Suit
"Available in Green, White, Blue, or Pink"
Children' Frog in the Tree Puzzle
HAND SIGNED PRINTS FROM THE ILLUSTRATOR J.E. LARSON
*** SUBSTITUTE ANY FROG IN THE TREE HAND SIGNED PRINT FOR SOME OF J.E. LARSONS OTHER PRINTS BELOW "Included with pertaining packages"***
The only image that is not available for mailing is the first photo below as it is a part of another book J.E. Larson is currently working on. It is shown here merely as a representation of his work, all other prints are available to you.
PLEASE "LIKE" THE FROG AND HIS FRIENDS ON FACEBOOK IF YOU CAN!
AGAIN THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
Risks and challenges
I know the genre, the audience and am confident that we "along with your help" will make this a success.
I have been writing for a decade and have faced many challenges along the way, however, there is always a solution to any issue that may arise.
With any project or idea there is always challenges, believe me we have had many along the way, however, we have found that there is ALWAYS away to fix something. Sure there will be risks in doing this, heck, if there wasn't then it would show were not trying to do something big with this project.
When dealing with any printing house there is always the risk of it taking a bit more time to get the full amount of copies produced. We have thought of as much as we can prior to creating this project so we would be ready for whatever the world throws at it.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
In order to FULLY enjoy this book we want you to enjoy it with the FULL Illustrations. So, we can't really go forward with physical printing process until we get the funding for the Illustrations and then to have it illustrated.
HOWEVER, ANY DONATION OF $20 OR MORE WILL GET YOU THE E-BOOK DELIVERED 7 DAYS AFTER FUNDING!!! I REALLY WANT TO SHARE THIS BOOK WITH YOU ALL
ANY DONATION OVER $20 WILL GET YOU THE FULL STORY THROUGH E-BOOK!!!
JUST AN UPDATE!!!!!!
AND WHEN THE ILLUSTRATIONS ARE DONE I WILL SEND YOU ANOTHER COPY WITH FULL ILLUSTRATIONS FOR FREE !!!!
- (33 days)