This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Thu, October 25 2018 6:01 AM UTC +00:00.
Bunnies and Burrows 3rd Edition
Something wicked this way hops!
It's not easy being a rabbit. Dangers abound in a hostile world of forests, fields, and farms. You and your woodland companions — rabbits and friends of rabbits — are a tough band of protectors and explorers, ready to take on the challenge. This tactical role-playing game views the world from a unique angle, with different goals and approaches than any kind of traditional role-playing game. Rich and complex mechanisms allow you to cover any angle of rabbit life — including wargaming — if you choose to expand the game beyond the basics of role-playing woodland animals in a world where nature is red in tooth and claw.
Frog God Games has partnered with Dr. B. Dennis Sustare and Dr. Scott R. Robinson to return a venerable and influential piece of tabletop roleplaying games to print. This tactical roleplaying game weighs in at approximately 200 pages of full color adventure in the style of Redwall and Watership Down.
Featuring brand new, full color art by artists Darlene, Moa Wallin, Maggie Vandewalle, Faith Burgar, Terry Pavlet, and others, this book will be beautiful. It also contains a map of the known world (okay, the world is pretty small when you are a rabbit) and printable tactical maps and animal tokens for various encounter types and scenarios.
It even teaches you how to count to 1000 (any number greater than four).
It is also versatile, allowing play either as a storytelling-focused game or as a tactical (and perhaps brutal) battle series between our plucky rabbits and voracious predators! After all, anyone who has read Watership Down knows that at times a rabbit’s life can be short and filled with peril.
The book will be a perfect-bound softcover — but wait, there’s more! If 300 backers purchase the rulebook, it will be upgraded to hardcover for everyone who gets a physical book, free of charge!
A History of Rabbits in Roleplaying
Bunnies & Burrows (B&B) is a role-playing game (RPG) that features animal characters contending with enemies and hazards in a world of nature. Published by Fantasy Games Unlimited in 1976, the game centered on intelligent rabbits. It introduced several innovations to role-playing game design, being the very first game to allow players to have non-humanoid roles, and the first to have detailed martial arts and skill systems. Fantasy Games Unlimited published a second edition of the game in 1982, and the game was modified and republished by Steve Jackson Games as an official GURPS supplement in 1992.
As rabbits, player characters are faced with dangers mirroring those in the real world. The only true "monsters" in the game are humans, but there are many predators, traps, and natural hazards. The characters' position in the food chain promotes an emphasis on role-playing and problem solving over combat.
Originally published in 1976, only two years after the first role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons was published, this original edition is now long out of print. The game was inspired by Richard Adams' fantasy novel Watership Down, and the players were given the opportunity to take on the role of rabbits. As such, the game emphasized role-playing over combat, and according to Steffan O'Sullivan, "You're playing a rabbit, after all — how much combat do you want to do?" David M. Ewalt, in his book Of Dice and Men, commented that Bunnies & Burrows "pushed setting even farther" than other early RPGs like Dungeons & Dragons and En Garde!, as the "player characters were intelligent rabbits and had to compete for food, avoid predators, and deal with internal warren politics”.
$1 or more—Baby Bunny
You will receive a free PDF of Bunnies and Burrows Lite (introductory rules).
$25 or more— Bunny Scout
You will receive a free PDF of Bunnies and Burrows Lite (introductory rules), and a PDF copy of Bunnies and Burrows, including all free PDF stretch goals.
$40 or more—Bunny Warrior
You will receive a free PDF of Bunnies and Burrows Lite (introductory rules), and a full color softcover Bunnies and Burrows 3rd Edition book, including all free stretch goals, including the free upgrade to hardcover at 300 backers at $40 or higher!
SHIPPING COST IS NOT INCLUDED. All shipping fees are calculated and charged using BackerKit.
$41 or more--Foreign Legion Lapin
You will receive a free PDF of Bunnies and Burrows Lite (introductory rules), and a full color softcover Bunnies and Burrows 3rd Edition book, including all free stretch goals. This does not include an upgrade to hardcover, but should significantly decrease those pesky, gigantic shipping costs. If you are an overseas customer and want the hardcover, you must pledge at a different level. Likewise, if you want the physical softcover modules and maps, you need to order them at a different pledge level as well, as that will necessitate shipping from the US.
SHIPPING COST IS NOT INCLUDED. All shipping fees are calculated and charged using BackerKit. These will be calculated based on the print-on-demand supplier’s actual charges to Frog God Games. (Australia, UK, and EU only)
$100 or more—Bunny Warlord
You will receive a free PDF of Bunnies and Burrows Lite (introductory rules), a full color softcover Bunnies and Burrows 3rd Edition book, and all printed and PDF stretch goals (excluding tapestry maps and limited edition printings of the book), including the free upgrade to hardcover at 300 backers at $40 or higher!
SHIPPING COST IS NOT INCLUDED. All shipping fees are calculated and charged using BackerKit.
$350 or more—Night of the Lepus!
You will receive a free PDF of Bunnies and Burrows Lite (introductory rules), a full color softcover Bunnies and Burrows 3rd Edition book, and all printed and PDF stretch goals (excluding tapestry maps and limited edition printings of the book), but including the free upgrade to hardcover at 300 backers at $40 or higher! This reward also includes automatic entry into a Bunnies and Burrough’s (ok, bad pun) game run by Dr. Sustare or Dr. Robinson at the North Texas RPG Con in 2019! For this pledge, one must attend the convention at their own cost.
SHIPPING COST IS NOT INCLUDED. All shipping fees are calculated and charged using BackerKit.
Limited to 4 backers
$1300 or more-- Temple of the Rabbit
The Temple Pledge gets you an invite you to join the Froggies (and a Rabbit or 1000) at North Texas RPG Con 2019 in June. At this event, we will pay for:
· Your convention badge
· Your hotel room
· Your meals and beverages
All you pay is your transportation to and from the convention! Shipping is also FREE, anywhere in the world! Ask any of our fans that have bought this pledge before, it’s truly a wonderful experience!
You will receive a free PDF of Bunnies and Burrows Lite (introductory rules), a full color softcover Bunnies and Burrows 3rd Edition book, a limited edition printing of the 3rd Editions (UNLOCKED) and all printed and PDF stretch goals, including the free upgrade to hardcover at 300 backers at $40 or higher! Additionally, one tapestry map (of your choice) is included.
This reward also includes automatic entry into a Bunnies and Burrows game run by Dr. Sustare at North Texas RPG Con in 2019!
Limited to 2 backers
So what is new and different?
In this new edition, you can still play as a rabbit, but you also have the option to play as a raccoon, squirrel, chipmunk, skunk, porcupine, opossum, jackrabbit, or armadillo, each with their own characteristics and abilities. Many aspects of the original game have been enhanced here. A full, logical system of herbalism is presented, forming an analogue to the magic systems in other fantasy roleplaying games. Predatory behavior is expanded to include the pursuit phase as well as the final combat. The bestiary presented is greatly expanded over the original version. We have worked hard to provide an ecological feel in the game, and to outline a wide range of habitats to explore. There are introductory adventures included, and guidance on how to create your own adventures and run a campaign. We provide a good variety of play-aids, and have created a series of mini-games that are great fun all by themselves, but can also be incorporated into the campaign itself. We hope you enjoy it.
Only the Gamemaster who will run the campaign needs to read this entire rulebook, for the players can begin creating characters and starting play without knowing the details, learning as they advance. But all the players will find that they do better with a deeper understanding of the rules, especially those that directly pertain to the profession they choose for their character.
This book is organized into three main parts. Traits and Characteristics is a description of the eight traits that form the basis of each player’s character, equivalent in a way to the genetic makeup of the character, followed by the skill improvement that comes with experience. In this part you will learn how to create a character, the special abilities of that character, and what role each trait plays during the game. No matter what profession you choose, you will find that all the traits are useful to you during play. Multiple classes of rabbits are available, for example:
Mugwort the Fighter
“Clearly the strongest rabbits should rule the Warren, and that is why being a Fighter is the best. Fearlessly we rush into every battle, prepared to give our lives to protect the Warren. There is nothing like the satisfaction of ruthless claws, bites, and rips, watching our foes collapse before our onslaught or flee in terror. We can take on the most powerful foes, secure in our knowledge that our fighting tactics and massive damage are likely to win the day. Why, any mate would be honored to breed with one of us, as our kits are also likely to burst with strength.”
And some are even mystical:
Moonseed the Seer
“Have I met you before? You look familiar, but we may have never met ... yet. Sometimes I see things that have not come to pass, and sometimes they never do. It is difficult to describe. I will not tell you who your mate will be; you must discover that for yourself.”
Players also may elect to create characters from one of eight additional non-rabbit species!
The second part is Playing the Game. Here you will learn how the game works, though we urge you to start playing and learn through experience as guided by your Gamemaster. The rules of pursuit and combat are in this part, as well as sections on food, pests, diseases, and all the other things that are part of the life of rabbits.
The third section is For The Gamemaster, which explains how to run a campaign and design adventures. As the Gamemaster, you can decide the form the campaign takes, limited only by your imagination. Where will the rabbits live? What quests or challenges do they face? Will you have a campaign that stresses exploration, develops story lines, or is a continual battle to survive? You can decide, and you can tailor your campaign to meet the needs and desires of your players. Bunnies & Burrows is equally well suited to experienced roleplayers or to beginners, even those to whom this will be their first RPG endeavor.
The third part is followed by several appendices that the Gamemaster will need as reference material. There is one on herbs, a bestiary, and various player aids. Also included are detailed encounter tables and a 35,000 word bestiary of friends and enemies you can encounter in the game.
Stretch Goals and Add-ons
· $12,000 — FUNDED!
· $15,000 — FUNDED! Player Reference Cards will be added to the book and as a free PDF to all backers! These are full-color, printable cards that have individual illustrations for each bunny class.
· $17,500 — FUNDED! Free player maps added to all books and adventures, both in print and PDF!
· 300 Backers at $40 or higher — All main rulebooks are upgraded to hardcovers from softcovers at no charge to you! This also unlocks the collector edition book. The Collector's Edition Book is FREE ONLY to backers at the $1300 pledge level. All other reward tier backers will need to add the Collector's Edition Version in Backerkit as an ADD-ON.
· $20,000 — FUNDED! A set of Player Reference sheets will be added as an appendix to the books and as a free PDF!
· $22,500 — FUNDED! Black Adder’s Honeycomb of Herbal Lore will be added as an Appendix, and the Battle Maps/Tokens softcover folder will become available as an add-on.
· $25,000 — FUNDED! A Quick Reference Guide to Herbs, Properties, Preparations, and Effects will be added as an Appendix.
· $27,500 — FUNDED! A Quick Reference Guide to the Bestiary: Predators and Neutral Animals will be added as an Appendix.
· $30,000 — FUNDED! Add poster map of the “Farm and Forest” to all hardcover books for free (and as a PDF to PDF books)! Extra poster maps can be added on for $7 each.
· $32,500 — A Handicap Markers for Combat Tactics Card will be added to the book as an appendix and to the Battle Maps/Tokens softcover folder.
· $35,000 — ???
So I have the rules… now what?
$100, Library Bound Hardcover Collector Edition (unlocked when 300 hardcovers are sold)
A beautiful leatherette, foil-stamped edition with ribbon bookmarks, done in a limited hardcover edition of 100 copies and signed by the authors.
Adventures for use with Bunnies & Burrows
Also available as add-ons are four B&B adventures intended to be used “out of the box," meaning you can run them right away with little preparation time. Ready-to-use adventures provide an excellent way to introduce the logic and mechanics of Bunnies & Burrows to players new to roleplaying in general and to players familiar with traditional fantasy RPGs in medieval settings. You will find no armored knights, no hooded clerics, and no staff-wielding wizards in this game. What, you may ask, can rabbits even do? In real life, rabbits are fascinating creatures with surprisingly complex behavior. But the bunnies of B&B can do much more than familiar rabbits! The Fighters have combat tactics that make them a match for fearsome predators, the Herbalists have access to plant lore that creates a world of virtual magic, the Empaths can heal and deal damage by laying on paws, and... well, you’ll just have to see for yourself what else is possible.
All of the adventures presented here take place in a protected valley on the seacoast known as Coneylaeth. There are rivers and streams, ponds and marshes, oak woodlands and pine forests, farmland, hills and mountains, and even a small town. Our intention is to provide additional B&B adventures in the future that are situated in this same world. Adventures include:
· $10 softcover, $4 PDF - The Garden Raid is an introductory adventure that can serve as a tutorial for basic game mechanics and offers common challenges players may face in the game. It takes place in late winter, when the snow and ice lingers and the first buds of spring are appearing. The central premise is a familiar theme in fictional works featuring rabbit characters, from Peter Rabbit to Watership Down: a raid to collect vegetables from a farmer’s garden. It is designed for one to several players with newly-created, beginning-level characters. We recommend that new players use this opportunity to create new characters from scratch for their first use in this adventure. The Garden Raid also features several of the Mini-Games featured in the full set of rules of Bunnies & Burrows, 3rd Edition that can be played separately or embedded in a larger roleplaying campaign.
· $13 softcover, $7 PDF - The Fairy Ring of the Nibble Onions is a complete three-act adventure that may span several gaming sessions to complete. Like The Garden Raid, The Fairy Ring of the Nibble Onions is designed for low-level characters and is well suited for new GMs who want to try their hand at running a more complex adventure. Set in the full bloom of spring, it contains a collection of colorful NPCs that serve as allies and adversaries for your party of rabbits, and all the necessary maps, lists of valuable things to discover, alternative outcomes for critical choices players may make, and a rich storyline to add depth and color to the game. The Fairy Ring of the Nibble Onions also introduces an Act and Scene format to facilitate ease of use while advancing the storyline with little preparation by the GM or players. Just follow the steps outlined in the section titled Using this Adventure and you should be playing within 15 minutes. The different Acts and Scenes also can serve as convenient break points, providing players a chance to grab snacks or pause the adventure until another evening.
· $10 softcover, $4 PDF - Shadow Deep: Escape from Fox Island is a shorter one-act adventure that we refer to as a “One-Shot". This is an adventure designed to be completed in one game session. Shadow Deep is intended for mid-level characters, which may be characters that players have advanced from previous play, or selected from a collection of pre-made characters provided at the end of the Adventures appendix. This adventure is set in high summer, and features enemies and challenges that are more dangerous and difficult than The Fairy Ring of the Nibble Onions, enabling players familiar with B&B to hone their skills and gain more experience. It is situated in the same rabbit world and shares some NPCs with the other adventures.
· $10 softcover, $4 PDF - The Mound of the Basking Vultures is the final adventure offered here. This is another One-Shot adventure intended to be playable in a single gaming session. It is designed for low-to-mid-level characters. Set in autumn, and suitable for a Halloween-inspired evening, it features a horror theme complete with a mysterious hound, a gloomy vulture, strange moaning, and a ghost.
· Veteran GMs should feel free to expand beyond the limits of these adventures and to include events before, during or after the Acts provided here.
More Add-on Items
· $16 Battle Maps/Tokens softcover folder – Collection of 10 battle maps and 1 full page of animal tokens printed on cardstock. No PDF is offered (they are free as a stretch goal as a PDF). This reward grows with added stretch goals. Unlocks are $22,500.
· $7 Folded Poster Map of Farms and Fields – Hexagon gridded poster map of “the known world” showing a wilderness and farm area for your bunnies to roam about in (at their own peril!).
· $150 72" x 71" Tapestries of the cover art or the “Known World”.
Digital Reward Shipping
We will email the instructions to groups of eligible backers with instructions on how to access PDF pledge rewards. This is a three-step process that is completed using our web store. You will have to create a customer account on the Frog God Games website to get your PDF; it's how we keep track of everything. The Kickstarter PDF files are 'purchased' at zero cost by backers (as they are paid for after the Kickstarter) at the Frog God Games web store using a coupon code. That code we will be sent via email to backers or will be provided through Backerkit. This process gets you your correct reward, ensures your future access to your reward files, and allows us to track project fulfillment.
Physical Reward Shipping
When the Backerkit site for this project is ready, you will receive an email. This is a separate communication than the Kickstarter survey. In that email you will receive the link to the site where you will be asked to verify your shipping information, your pledge rewards, and checkout through their system. Your Kickstarter pledge amount does not include shipping. It is during Backerkit checkout that your shipping cost is calculated and charged.
Risks and challenges
Frog God Games has been in business since 2010, and has fulfilled numerous (20!) Kickstarter programs in the past. As with any crowdfunding program, the time-lapse between payment and delivery of a final product is subject to various risks, including the failure of a supplier, damage in shipment, disruptions within a company, invasions by carnivorous space rabbits and changes in the prices of materials and shipping. Experience gained over a number of projects makes us confident that we have contingency plans for the ordinary, foreseeable issues that might arise.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter