Recently Deceased : The Making Of BEETLEJUICE
The Making Of BEETLEJUICE  Behind the Scenes documentary about the ghost with the most: BEETLEJUICE
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Sun, March 31 2019 6:18 PM UTC +00:00.
Fred China, a French filmmaker and huge fan of Tim Burton’s Beetlejuice, has teamed up with producers Adam F. Goldberg (The Goldbergs) and Lee Leshen (Back in Time, Ghostheads) to make a feature-length documentary film entitled : “Documentary For The Recently Deceased: The Making of Beetlejuice”.
The Beetle-Team is proud to launch this new crowdfunding campaign to help us make the documentary for all fans of Tim Burton's iconic film, Beetlejuice!
Wait.. What ? You didn't hear about the documentary yet ?
The film will cover all the aspects of the Beetlejuice production: from filming in East Corinth, Vermont, to the stop motion and special effects work, as well as a series of exclusive interviews and rare behind the scenes archives acquired by the director Fred China over the years.
What will you see in the documentary ?
- Interviews with cast and crew,
- Behind the scenes photos and videos,
- Rare production archives such as concept arts, blueprints...,
- Tour of East Corinth, Vermont,
- Interviews with people of East Corinth who were there for the filming,
- Meet fans that create great stuff about the movie,
- Meet Props Collectors,
- Meet Tom Spina, who worked on restoring the props, 30 years later [LINK],
- Meet Kyle Lambert, our poster designer.
We may add more content in the future.
The documentary will also feature never-before-seen archive footage, including stop-motion sequences digitized in 2K especially for the occasion.
You will also enjoy an original soundtrack that will especially be scored for the documentary by Alexandre Poncet [SOUNDCLOUD].
Thanks to the contributors of the first campaign [LINK] in August 2017, we were able to complete the first round of interviews all around the west coast of the USA.
This is who we have met so far :
- Maree CHEATHAM [Actress, "Sarah DEAN"],
- Deborah PALMER [Actress, "The Magician Assistant"],
- Tom DUFFIELD [Art Director],
- Jane JENKINS [Casting Director],
- Cheryl CARASIK [Lead Person, Set Decoractor],
- Jane O'NEAL [Still Photographer],
- Oscar winner Robert SHORT [Creature Designer],
- Pete GERARD [Mechanical Effects Supervisor],
- Mark Bryan WILSON [Puppeteer],
- James BELOHOVEK [miniature production],
- Max CERVANTES [Special Props, Animatromics Effects],
- Michael W. MOORE [Special Props, Animatromics Effects],
- Jack JOHNSON [Illustrator, Concept Artist].
We had so much fun meeting with everybody. They shared with us all their memories about the movie, and, sometimes, their treasures (photos, props...). It's wonderful to see how they love the movie and its legacy.
Who are we going to meet in the next interviews ?
We are still working on contacting future guests but can already announce that we are going to meet :
- Larry Wilson [Writer, Producer],
- Oscar winners Ve NEILL & Steve LAPORTE [Makeup Artists],
- Joerg FIEDERER [Special Effects],
- Susan KELLERMAN [Actress, "Grace"],
- Carmen HUBIS [Extra, "secretary"],
- Charles SCHNEIDER [Extra, "Hangman"],
- Dale BRADY[Puppeteer ],
- Jim AUPPERLE [Stop Motion],
- Rick KESS [Miniature Production].
We have more people to meet but, for now, we are not able to share their names.
The documentary is still in production, as very often, we are at the mercy of our interviewee's schedules, but the estimated release date is 2020.
We will take every opportunities to make a better documentary so production might take longer and the release date be pushed back if we can meet more guests or acquire new content.
Follow us on our social networks for the latest news !
How will we use the money ?
Every cent of your generous donation will be put to good use, to make sure we deliver you the best documentary possible.
- PRODUCTION & POST PRODUCTION - This includes many different areas: Travel from France to the USA, Canada, UK and Amsterdam, at various dates in 2019. Accommodation and transportation. Insurance. Camera and lighting equipment. Small marketing piece... and maybe some unexpected expenses during the trip!
- REWARDS & SHIPPING - Being collectors ourselves, we love to have cool products when we back crowdfunding projects. It was very important to us to offer fans many rewards. Most of the products will be made in France.
- KICKSTARTER & VISA FEES
KICKSTARTER DOES NOT ALLOW MULTIPLE PLEDGES. IF YOU WISH TO RECEIVE MORE THAN ONE ITEM IN EXCHANGE FOR YOUR DONATION, PLEASE USE A DIFFERENT EMAIL ADDRESS TO MAKE A SECOND PLEDGE.
The rewards will be made and shipped once the documentary is done.
We are lucky to have Adam F Goldberg as our Executive Producer. He nicely offered some very cool exclusive rewards for our Kickstarter. This is a unique opportunity !
KICKSTARTER DOES NOT ALLOW MULTIPLE PLEDGES. IF YOU WISH TO RECEIVE MORE THAN ONE PACKAGE IN EXCHANGE FOR YOUR DONATION, PLEASE USE A DIFFERENT EMAIL ADDRESS TO MAKE A SECOND PLEDGE.
Fred China is a "multi-hat" man. He is a professionnal photographer, graphic designer and he is the director/producer of the documentary.
A project he had in his mind for years ! He is a fan of Beetlejuice and films of the 1980s in general, This documentary is his “love letter” back to the film. Over the years, he came across never before seen pictures and videos, lots of it when he traveled to East Corinth. Fred had the opportunity to visit the village and meet people that were around during the filming in 1987. A community gathered on his webpage and now he has many followers worldwide, including fans who sent him rare documents from their personal collections.
Adam F Goldberg is a television and film writer and producer, best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series Breaking In, Imaginary Mary, Schooled and his autobiographical show The Goldbergs set in the 80s. Adam is also an immense Tim Burton fan and his dream is to produce a documentary about it.
Lee Leshen is the founder of Patchwork Media he founded in 2007. Leshen got his start in the movie business at age 16, interning at a casting agency for the movie that put Wesley Snipes in a sequined dress. After college, he ricocheted from the film industry to politics, and then back to film, where he worked in the production finance arena at Miramax Films and, later, partnership marketing at The Weinstein Company. In 2013, he began producing documentaries, beginning with the Back to the Future documentary "Back in Time" (2015), the Ghostbusters documentary "Ghostheads" (2016), as well as Be A Man (2016), the documentary from comedian Ray Harrington.
He is currently in post-production on the Nickelodeon documentary "The Orange Years," to be released in 2019.
Julien Dumont is a producer and director. He started in the traditionnal SFX industry (models, sculptures, animatronics...). He created with his associate, Kennocha BAUD, a studio in Geneva, Switzerland : DBFX. They work from concept design until the last stage of editing. His passion for the movies of the 1980s made him collaborate with Fred China on various projects.
Allan Mantilleri graduated from the SAE Institute as a Sound Engineer in 2014, since then, his career evolves in various topics all related to audio. From working as an audio technicien in a radio to being boom operator on fiction films and front of house sound engineer on live events, he is now the co-owner of Cornland Studio, audio and video production company based in Geneva Switzerland.
Alexandre Poncet has been writing for the magazine Mad Movies and Freneticarts.com. He has produced the documentary "Ray Harryhausen – Special Effects Titan" by Gilles Penso, and composed its original soundtrack. They teamed again on "Creature Designers – The Frankenstein Complex". Alexandre has also scored Sacha Feiner's "Un monde meilleur" and "Last Door but also the documentary "Derrière le masque des super-héros", original themes for the "Art of Marvel" and "Art of DC" by Art Ludique – Le Musée in Paris. He is currently in post-production of two documentaries : "Phil Tippett – Mad Dreams" and "Monsters and The Prophecy of Starship Troopers".
Kyle Lambert is an L.A. based Illustrator / Digital Artist, who is best known for his poster illustrations for the hit show ‘Stranger Things’. He works with some of the world's largest brands, including Apple, Adobe, Disney, Marvel, Netflix, NBC, Variety, Vanity Fair, GQ, Paramount Studios, Sony Pictures and Universal Studios. For more of Kyle's work, visit www.kylelambert.com
BEETLEJUICE ! BEETLEJUICE ! BEETLE....
No ! Noooo ! Don't call him !! He won't help us ! Only YOU can help us !
- You can definitely help us by spreading the word on your social networks.
- Did you back us on the last campaign or this one ? Tell the us about how proud you are to help this amazing project being a reality by sharing the image bellow and the link to the Kickstarter project or the documentary website address :) (you can download the full res image HERE)
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT !
Risks and challenges
Because our crew is based in France, all with day jobs, not only is it logistically challenging, producing and organizing the documentary when all its cast and crew live and work in wide-spread areas of the U.S., but it is also a huge financial challenge.
This is the very first documentary about the making of Beetlejuice.
We believe in our project. We believe in the fans of the movie.
We really hope to finalize this project in 2020.
- All gone!