About this project
From the creators of the bestselling game, Paperback, comes the next chapter in deckbuilding / word games - Hardback. As an aspiring, 19th-century author, you work to write your next novel, earning money and prestige along the way. Spend your coin on new, more powerful cards to improve your deck and write ever better novels. Be the first to acquire enough prestige to complete your masterpiece and be recognized as the finest novelist of the age!
- Play as Penelope Quill - Paige Turner's great-grandmother, writing novels in the 1800s
- All new illustrations from artist Ryan Goldsberry brilliantly capture the era - with some clever twists
- Wordsmiths can score big by discovering the perfect word from their hand of randomly drawn cards
- Strategic players can maximize the benefit of their cards by carefully crafting the perfect deck
- Hardback is for 2-4 players age 10 and up, and takes roughly 45-60 minutes to play
Hardback is the follow-up to Paperback, the award-winning word / deckbuilding game from Tim Fowers. Hardback is not an expansion - it's a whole new game. Fans of Paperback will feel right at home playing Hardback, though there are plenty of new strategies and mechanics to explore:
- Hardback has no dedicated wild cards - your starting hand offers significantly more variety - and you'll never draw a "worthless" hand
- Any card can be made wild by playing it face-down - keeping you in control of which cards to focus on
- In Hardback, you do not purchase cards to earn victory - instead, play letter cards that score victory each time they are used
- Hardback does not have a pre-configured offer row - setting up a new game is as quick as shuffle and go
- No "draw extra cards" cards - instead, use "ink" to press your luck and draw extra cards - but go too far and you might not be able to spell a word
- Persistent cards provide stay in play and provide benefit each turn - until your opponents force you to discard them by using your letter in their word
In hardback, there are four distinct card "genres", each with their own unique mechanics to compliment your play style:
"Hardback has some really intriguing plot twists that I didn't see coming... I'm really enjoying it." - Jonathan Liu, GeekDad
"Hardback is a great companion game to Paperback. The genre synergies let you focus your deck, ink lets you push your luck for potential big scores (and helps you use up spare coin,) and the persistent cards create a lot of combo opportunity. Hardback will easily rise up my lists of favorite word and favorite deck building games." - Suzanne, The Dice Tower @425suzanne
"Tim Fowers has done it again. Hardback continues the work that Paperback started: combining smart mechanics with a well-known genre to create a game that is really quite satisfying as well as incredibly accessible." - Gameocity
"I really enjoyed this game... if you enjoyed Paperback, this is like the next level. I think you'll really enjoy Hardback." - Kevin & Melissa, Tantrum House
"I found it to be a great mish-mash of different genres and felt that the deck-building, word spelling, and push-your-luck mechanics worked well together... this one was incredibly fun." - Vincent Paone, Dad's Gaming Addiction
Rahdo Runs Through It Gameplay Videos and Final Thoughts:
"The PYL 'ink' mechanism alone makes Hardback a must-have for Paperback lovers." - Kathryn, Backer 2685
"I was excited for the game but hesitant that it wouldn’t stand up to Paperback. I’m willing to say that this game is even better than its predecessor. Fans will find it refreshingly different… enough that they will still be able to play both games." - Jessica, Backer 96
"We enjoyed it as it was - both of us employed different strategies and we ended up with a really close game" - Garry, Backer 881
"Overall though we liked it considerably more than Paperback" - Roy, Backer 351
If you're interested in trying Print and Play, sign up here: Print and Play Survey
We'll be featuring quotes from some PnP players, so request your copy today and let us know what you think!
"Hardback takes the simple concepts from Paperback, and transforms them into a richer experience. Fans of the original should definitely check this one out." - Icarus599
- Help guide the development of this game. We listen to our backers and strive to implement their clever ideas.
- Once funded, our stretch goals will add more content and better components to improve the game for everyone.
- Backers receive the game at a discount compared to after the campaign.
- This game is not going to distributors. It may not be in your local store.
- Without your help, we won't be able to print this game and share it with the world.
- European copies will be sent from inside the EU to avoid VAT.
Risks and challenges
I will be working with my established partners for printing, shipping and fulfillment. I've worked with them during my previous Kickstarter campaigns for Paperback, Burgle Bros, and Fugitive. If there are any manufacturing issues I will address them. If anyone has trouble receiving their copy or has problems with parts in their copy, contact me for a replacement.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (22 days)