About this project
To stay up to date with all the news, updates, and exclusives sign up to the FTK Newsletter by clicking on the banner below:
Let's keep in touch, don't forget to follow us on:
- Add up the total of your selections and increase your pledge by the amount you wish to purchase by clicking on the "Manage Your Pledge" button. You don't have to change your tier.
- Don't forget to add shipping for any physical order. You only need to add shipping ONCE per order.
- Once the backer surveys go out you can choose how you spent your add-on money and other information (type of shirt, size, etc.)
- If you have any questions please message us!
Weave your own unique tales in an epic single or multiplayer RPG adventure that spans across the realms. Trek across perilous badlands, trudge through poisonous swamps, brave the high seas and shifting mystical forests. The land is in chaos and the odds are stacked against you. Answer the call and help bring peace back to Fahrul!
The King is dead, murdered by an unknown assailant. Now the once peaceful kingdom of Fahrul is in chaos.
With nowhere left to turn and stretched beyond her means, the queen has put out a desperate plea to the citizens of the land to rise up and help stem the tide of impending doom.
Set off with your make-shift party, either single player or online co-op, on an epic quest to find what answers you can. Brave the relentless elements, fight the wicked creatures, sail the seas and delve into the dark underworld.
In For The King, every turn matters. Discovering new locations is paramount to success. Choose to split your party up and cover more ground, or stick together for protection. A sound strategy can mean the difference between life and death.
Fight and die as a party in fast paced and brutal turn-based combat using a unique slot system for attacks and special abilities. Find and gather herbs for your trusty pipe to heal your wounds and cure your maladies. Set up safe camps or brave the horrors that nightfall brings.
Collect Lore and use it to strategically and persistently unlock the mysteries and mechanics of the places you find. Amass trinkets and treasure that will help you on your quest. But remember adventurer, you do this not for the riches or fame but for your village, for your realm, for the king!
Solo or Online Co-op - Control your own party or play with up to 3 people online. Travel and fight together or dare to set off on your own.
- Challenging Roguelike Adventure - A highly re-playable, unforgiving adventure designed to keep you guessing and on the edge of your seat.
- Turn Based Combat - A classic battle style with a unique slot and proficiency system. Choose your attack type, spend focus points, use items, and activate special abilities to defeat your foes.
- Living World - New challenges and horrors emerge at different times of day. Encounter weather and natural events that have a variety of effects, both good and bad.
Procedurally Crafted Map - The map, realms, and locations you encounter are different every play through. A unique set of fascinating locations will force you to adapt your play style every game.
- Persistent Lore - Collect lore and spend it at the town libraries to build a unique game experience. Unlock persistent game mechanics in the order of your choosing.
- Dungeons - Unique dungeons will require new strategies every time you play. Encounter deadly traps, enemies, and legendary treasure in unexpected ways.
- Persistent Weapon Crafting - Collect unusual resources and rare weapon recipes to craft powerful weapons over multiple playthroughs.
- Item, trinkets, curiosities - Find many different objects and items to use along the way. Some helpful and some come with a cost...
- Turn Based Exploration - Strategically spend action points to navigate through a dangerous landscape full of rewards and deadly encounters.
- Unpredictable Worlds to explore, uniquely generated each play through.
- Fantastical Realms are home to strange encounters, dangerous enemies, and untold mysteries.
- Sail the Seas and explore uncharted waters if you dare tempt what lurks in the deep.
- Towns, Cities, and Villages provide refuge to rest and resupply but beware of thieves who prey on adventurers with pockets full of gold.
Turn Based - Classic turn based JRPG battles with unique mechanics.
Fight Together - Keep your party within close range to join in each other's battles! Play online with friends and confront evil together!
Breakable Weapons - Armaments come in all shapes, sizes and types but a lack of skill can result in catastrophic failure, leaving your best weapon in splinters.
Special Attacks - Unleash the true potential of a weapon by attempting Proficiency and Power Attacks! Using our unique slot rolling system you must land a 100% successful roll to deliver such a blow. A failure can mean a total whiff, leaving your defenses wide open. Do you play it safe and chip away or are you feeling lucky?
Use Belt Items - There’s no time to dig in your pack when in battle so always be prepared for a fight by keeping your belt equipped with herbs, scrolls and other consumables. With so many items yet so little room, hard decisions must be made to ensure you have what you need at all times!
- Relentless Onslaught of unexpected perils, traps, enemies and treasure await in the many dungeons scattered throughout the land.
- Unexpected Terror awaits in the procedurally generated underworld.
- Explore the catacombs, dungeons, mines, cellars, crypts, and more.
- Discover what lies at the deepest levels in these underworld tombs if you dare. Treasure? Fortune? Horror? Death?
- Regular Citizens destined to become either great heroes or dearly departed.
- Speed, Strength, Fortitude, Talent, Awareness and Vitality will shape each character's adventure and fate.
- Proficiency Bonuses are unlocked when using a weapon your character is familiar with. But weapons can break forcing you to adapt your play style mid adventure!
- Special Skills a player holds may be the difference between life and death such as spotting hidden traps, rallying the party and gathering precious herbs in the field.
- Recruit Rescue and Unlock new character classes from many different situations during your play throughs. You didn’t think you would save the world all on your own, did you?
- Strange Creatures roam the various lands of Fahrul. From the Jungle Beastmen to the Lizardmen in the Swamps.
- Terrible Spirits and undead lurk in darkest corners of the underworld. You might be staring death right in the face...quite literally.
- Huge Varieties of evil creatures, wretched beasts, and corrupted men and women await unsuspecting travellers.
- Helpful Gods wait in sanctums throughout the world, devote yourself to a chosen deity and become their paragon. Having a god on your side will grant special buffs and possibly resurrection...just don’t abuse their power.
- Malicious Scourges have a profound effect when they enter the world, forcing adventurers to adapt or perish. The Old One will adjust the passing of time, The Legendary Assassin will stalk your party, and The Bandit King will seize control of shop prices, plus many more.
- Search and Destroy different haunts in game before they release a scourge, if you have the conviction that is.
- Weather and Nature affects your travel speed, health, and conviction. Paths will be blocked off by some natural events forcing you into costly detours if not properly equipped to deal with the chaotic elements.
- Be Prepared for sandstorms, rockslides, heavy rain, maelstroms, heatwaves, thick fog and much more. Certain items/abilities will help mitigate the ill-effects of unfavorable weather.
- The Fortunate may get reprise from the chaos in the form off nice days, favorable winds, refreshing streams, and more.
- Learn about the mysteries surrounding the King’s death and history of the world in small retainable segments found throughout the land.
- Gain precious Lore through combat, quests, and discoveries.
- Research new found locations and points of interest through Lore to unlock its features and buffs for all future play throughs.
- Improved Upgrades can be unlocked by saving and spending more lore, but beware those who would steal your lore through tricks of the mind or death.
- Create a unique set of mechanics with lore that will shape your version of Fahrul.
- Rare Herbs are used to combat what ails you. In conjunction with a favorite pipe, herbs such as Godsbeard, Panax and Hermit Grass can be found, bought and consumed.
- Unnatural Sweets created from dark magic will have a profound effect on you. Things like Black Candy are reserved for more extreme measures when grasping at survival.
- Arcane Artifacts such as scrolls, amulets and orbs can have a powerful effect on your character and foes.
- Use Your Pipe in moderation, most herbs can be consumed at any time, even during your off turn, but there is a cool down effect. Save it for when you really need it!
- PC, Mac & Linux Full Release For The King will be available for Windows, Mac and Linux. Available on Steam and also as a DRM-Free download. Backers can choose their preferred version when the full game is released.
- Early Access Be involved with development! Currently available only for backers choosing the Steam Key, but we're looking into giving DRM Free users early access too. Stay Tuned!
- DRM-FREE! Backers will have the option to choose between a Steam Key or a DRM_Free download when the full game is released.
- Consoles As stretch goals, we would love to bring For The King to PS4 and Xbox One. However this will most likely happen sometime after the initial PC and Mac release.
IronOak Games is composed of a core team of 3 individuals with over 27 years of combined industry experience in AAA and indie companies. The team is further bolstered by an ensemble of specialist contractors and part timers to fill in the gaps while keeping the core team lean and mean.
Can you really make a game of this scope and quality for $40,000? Well yes, and no. Over the past year, the three core members of our team have been working full time on For The King, in fact it’s something we quit our jobs to do. We will continue to work on this game with no income until it's released because we believe in this idea, and this is how we keep our costs low. This campaign is not to replenish our savings but instead to inject content directly into the game and improve it as a product. Any Kickstarter funding will be used to help pay for areas beyond our scope or expertise like an epic soundtrack, high quality sound effects, and custom animation.
We've already put over a year's work into For The King and have many awesome and unique features in place. But there's no shortage of great ideas that we could possibly include, and that's where our stretch goals come into play. A game like For The King is only made better from additional content and mechanics.
Given our 25+ years of combined experience in the game industry, we have an extensive list of accomplished people we can draw upon to help define this game. We're confident For The King will be fantastic not only because of our combined experience, but because we've proved out the concept already through a boardgame prototype.
Nearly 4 years ago, Colby began work on a personal RPG boardgame which still serves as the protoype for FTK. Blending tabletop mechanics with digital RPG mechanics into a fluent boardgame adventure, his creation garnered the interest of friends and the online community. After dozens of fun playtests and refining of the rules, he soon realized the next step was to take this game to the digital realm.
From this, For The King was born. From day one, maintaining the cooperative camaraderie was a core design pillar of ours, and as such, an online cooperative roguelike was born. We feel that this is a new type of roguelike experience that has yet to be fully explored.
So if For The King interests you, we're asking for your help to make this game possible. And it doesn't stop with your pledge. We want to hear from you in the comment section and backer forums. Your ideas, wishes, and concerns are a valuable resource. We want to build a new community of gamers to share in the excitement of this project with us.
Risks and challenges
Blinding Sandstorms, Chaos Rifts, and the Forest Beastmen all pose a risk and challenge. As for game development, there's a chance of unexpected delays that could push the release date back. Even though we're all experienced in game development, you can never foresee every hurdle or bump in the road. So there's a chance the final release gets pushed back so that we can deliver the game we all want.
Rest assured though, we will make this game. That's a promise. We have the personal savings to see it through to the end. But to truly make the game we dream of, we need your help. The money raised from this campaign will do just that.
Our dedication, experience, and love for the genre will see us through, thick or thin. Your help will make For The King as epic as can be.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (31 days)