It's been a while since the last update. I know I've left many of you wondering what's happening with the game. Throughout development I've always cycled between periods of extreme productivity and dry spells of little to no productivity. These past few months have been the longest period of such lack of productivity by far. Suffice to say I haven't really been working a whole lot on the game the last few months, and I've been avoiding updates because of it. That much is clear to those who have been asking. It's very difficult to explain why I've been like this. It's not because I don't want to finish it, but it's because finishing the game has been a source of extreme anxiety for me, so much so that I've been ignoring what I need to do and finding other things to distract me. There are much more complicated personal reasons that tie into this as well, but that's the gist of it.
However, I'm finally getting back on track as I've put substantial time this past week getting into the swing of things. I want to assure all of you that I'm putting 100% of my love into the game still, and that it will not be a rush just to finish the game. This game has always been my baby, and I want to see it out there in the world with all of you playing it. I'm doing my best to pull myself out of the rut of the last few months. That being said, I know I've made a similar post like this before, and I don't want to lose trust again. I don't expect many of you will be happy if this sort of things happens again. This will be the last time.
In order to make things more transparent of what's left in the game, here's a general breakdown of everything left before the game is finished:
- 7 more level reworks (the final levels of the game) and their animated backgrounds. Currently have 39 levels done.
- Going back and doing a final pass over previous backgrounds, especially the earlier levels
- Story paintings - pieces of the story as you complete the game which appear every few levels
- Final ending cinematic (already mapped out on paper)
- A few more menu options, with a UI to navigate already completed levels
- Implementing PlayStation controller support (it maps differently than xbox controller)
- Polishing animations with the rabbit/owl and various doodads
- Custom sound design - still using mostly free sounds found off the Internet. Elliot is still working on it.
- The final 3 songs of the soundtrack have been recorded but not been finalized. Should be done over the next month or so hopefully
- Final, various amounts of polish - very general, tends to be little things
- Making sure things work with Steam
- Once the game is done putting together the digital/physical artbook for the backers who ordered one
This is actually quite a short list, and there's not a whole lot left to do. It will still take at least a couple months of solid, dedicated work, and so from now on I plan to do biweekly updates on the 1st and 14th of every month (starting February 14). I'm also considering maybe streaming development live on Twitch for the non-sensitive parts of game development. I may aim to do that once a week, but I'll have to think about that more. Would anyone actually be interested in that?
I hope the new year has been going well for everyone. I can't believe it's almost February already. Feel free to leave me any comments and questions - I'll do my best to answer them. Until next time!