I’ve always been interested in the idea of magic as the act of tapping into the unknown for insight, or to influence an event or initiate change. Not in a movie or fairy tale way, but in a way that utilizes awareness of yourself and your surroundings, and focused intention. For me, tarot is a great tool to achieve these things. With a background and training in art, creating a deck seemed like the perfect way for me to infuse my own symbols and associations into something functional but also aesthetically pleasing.
The imagery used in this deck comes from a deep seeded love of nature, and a reverence for the natural cycles happening around us all the time. My parents are hunters, fishers, foragers and gardeners, and this lifestyle taught me to look closely at nature all through my childhood. I found things reflected in plants and animals that I was experiencing myself: struggles, successes, drives, relationships.
For a few years I’ve been looking for a way to share these ideas with the public. In art school I knew these were underlying themes I wanted to pursue, but spent a lot of time experimenting with various artistic processes, and culling my own index of symbols and imagery. While the symbols reference narratives related to my childhood and family, I feel they offer a universal message that others can relate and attribute their own meaning to.
My goal for this project is to create something that others can use to influence their lives in a positive way, to provide insight and awareness. It was also a way for me to really learn the art of reading cards and become familiar with their messages, something I'd been looking to accomplish in my own spiritual practice.
Special Limited Edition Drawings
The Empress tier includes the deck, book, and one original line work drawing of the card of your choice. These are on a first-come basis, as there is only one per card. Once you've made the pledge for this tier, you can send me a message or comment with the line work that you'd like to claim!
The following original line work pieces have been claimed:
- The High Priestess
- The Empress
- The Devil
- The Lovers
- The Tower
- The Hermit
- The Hanged Man
- Wheel of Fortune
- The Moon
- The Star
- The World
- Ace of Pentacles
- Two of Pentacles
- Seven of Pentacles
- Eight of Wands
- Ten of Swords
- Ten of Cups
- Ten of Wands
- Page of Cups
- Knight of Swords
- Queen of Pentacles
- Queen of Wands
- Queen of Cups
- Queen of Swords
- King of Swords
Here are a few examples of what the original line work looks like. The materials are micron pen (fade proof ink) on acid free pen paper.
Stretch Goals Now Available!
We’ve reached our base goal of $6,500, which means the most basic version of the Forager’s Daughter tarot deck can be printed. To make the deck even better, there are now seven stretch goals that can be unlocked.
- Unlocked! $15,000: All backers will receive a 3x3 inch die-cut sticker, designed around the aesthetic of the Forager’s Daughter tarot. Images in the Updates section!
- Unlocked! $22,000: All backers who pledge $55 or higher will receive a box upgrade from standard tuck box to a two-piece rigid box.
- Unlocked! $30,000: All backers who pledge $55 or higher will receive a hand printed reading cloth. Size may vary, but looking at 21 x 21 inches.
- Unlocked! $38,000: Expanded version of the guidebook. This means more detailed descriptions, and a section about the creation of the deck. Available for all backers who pledge $55 or higher.
- $45,000: Hand printed tarot bags will be available for all backers who pledge $55 or higher. The bag will be big enough to keep your deck and rigid box safe!
- $50,000: Card backs will feature a gold foil stamp of the Forager’s Daughter icon and border design. Available to all backers who pledge $55 or higher.
- $60,000: Book covers will include a gold foil title and icon embellishment. Available to all backers who pledge $55 or higher.
Please double check that your shipping and email address are correct so that you receive updates and your package on time!
Risks and challenges
This is the first tarot deck I've ever created, and my first large-scale project with public backing. I've worked for a year on the card designs, to make sure they are unique, thoughtful, and carry the distinct message of each card. So the hard part is actually done - You can see examples of the cards in the story, and all that's left is to print and ship them! The real risk is if the project does not get funded, in which case everyone's money will be refunded. However, I've been working on promoting the deck, and have a solid list of interested folks, so I feel positive that it will make goal and move on to the next phase.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)