This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Sat, May 11 2019 11:26 PM UTC +00:00.
The chicken on its way to freedom! Satphone-blocking camels! Lost motorcycle loves! Dashcam youtube heroism! Zombie shopping carts! Car-jacking cats! Desert thunderstorm peril! Coffee addiction! Belief addiction! Handmade blues mayhem and sheer delight!
FLYING TADPOLE'S TRAVELLING BLUES BAND...
..."splits off players on demand", is how the song goes. Flying Tadpole [FT] is the alter ego of Tim Fatchen [TF], so why can't FT have alter egos too? So here they are, performing in a row. And having and making a row, too.
Pianos, cigarbox guitar, bass guitar, tams, sticks, reverby Strats, voice and backing all travel together for sheer mayhem and pleasure. A loose and comfortable handmade vibe! 15+ tracks! 47+ minutes!
...BLUES BAND? BLUES?? REALLY???
The Blues can bring you joy, ease your pain, make you feel good while still being the Blues. This bunch of manic 12-bar, ragtime, poppy and even Blues/Surf songs will have you laughing and cheering--it's the only way to survive disasters and miseries, people!
HEY, WAIT...ONE-MAN BAND? SOLO??
Nope. Recordings are all what we, us, call "sequential-live": it's Flying Tadpole playing or singing the lot, with lotsa different hats on.
But although Flying Tadpole (FT) can split off as many new personalities as there are tracks available, it's the physical Tim Fatchen (TF) actually doing the playing and singing, and he can only manage three tracks at once.
So a full recording needs some tracks done in order. Or disorder. Second takes on any track are rare, because you lose the freshness and immediacy of the blues when you try to cook the raw stuff.
HANDMADE! LIVE! REAL!
And while FT and his band members may be loopy, there are NO LOOPS! Got that? NO LOOPS! Proper handmade music. And the cigarbox guitar is handmade too. By us. I mean me. One of us anyway. So is most of the bass. And the sticks. And the recording. And the production.
"SO WHY SHOULD I BACK THIS?"
Because you deserve a shot of good-time bluesy music! You deserve a good belly-laugh! And if you back it to success, future generations will thank you for it too, not just this Band! Don't believe us? Read on...!
HAVE PEOPLE ACTUALLY LISTENED TO THIS SCHIZOID MADNESS?
Yes indeedy! Most songs have been run as demos or sketches through the February Album Writing Month and Fifty Songs in Ninety Days songwriting challenges. Here's a fraction of what people said in those challenges!
- This just gets funnier and funnier as it goes. I'm almost crying laughing so much. Fantastic! (valeriecox)
- This reminds me so much, in feel, of the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band. Especially the harmonies/ comments. (berni1954)
- You do an excellent job of writing and playing music that sounds like a house is being torn apart. (billwhite51)
- Once again, you have made me laugh out loud! I love the bass line and the parallels to to old-timey gospel music...(flutterby42)
- You for sure know how to wrap a total disaster into groovy music! (karan)
- Frightening story, but with the bouncy piano and guitar it seems kinda fun. Before I listened, I was expecting a traditional blues thing, but it turned out that be much more wonderful. Great song! (jsini)
- Nice 30s feel and great storytelling. (kissinginpublic)
- Tight like a midnight jam after the St. Paddy's day parade...the howly bgvs and loose lead cigar box are lovely. (ductapeguy)
- ...this is one goofy blues outing. the piano is raising hell while the guitar stabs its way through the progression like a blind man with a walking stick. love the two voices with their high and low mockery of harmony (billwhite51)
- ...a sad tale and a great addition to the pantheon about songs of love and love lost and motorcycles. I love the loose vibe of the band. (ductapeguy)
- What a sad cautionary tale! Heartbreaking... but super fun with a surfy carefree feel. Hooray for the Strat!! (zecoop)
- For me it's a great ragtime piece. The "sound" of the production is perfectly fit. The overdubbing of one-takes fit perfectly. Great work. (ustaknow)
- A schizophrenic cacophony of good sounds and great fun! I’m partial to every single player in the band (sheilerk)
How can you resist? It's all great stuff! Good music, good blues, good stories, it'll clear your mind and give you belly laughs, or just simple enjoyment at the wry miseries and offtarget blues-i-ness. Back us!
ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH TO PLEDGE MORE THAN $AUD 25 WILL FIND THEMSELVES GETTING THE ODD SPECIAL EXTRAS IN ARTWORK OR MUSIC OR MORE.
...and now for all that serious stuff Kickstarter demands!...
Risks and challenges
SONG RECORDINGS EXIST BUT SOME REMIXING AND TWEAKS STILL NEEDED
The songs are all written. Some will need re-recording to improve clarity. (Percussion! We have difficulties with live percussion! But this is hand-made not loopy music and we persist with handling hand instruments!) Most will need remixing and re-mastering. The Band uses TF's studio in Dunn's Mill. Mount Barker (1844)--the room's big enough to fit them--but it still needs time and some expense.
IT'S LO-FI, IT'S MEANT TO BE LO-FI!!
These songs are and will stay lo-fi, in keeping with the concept of handmade schizo blues. Lo-fi does not mean crap recording. Well, okay, there will be the odd noise that can't be engineered away post-recording, but that goes with the live/sequential one-shot/unpolished mayhem of the whole concept. If worried, go listen to Flying Tadpole on Spotify, okay?
CD, DIGITAL & LEAD SHEET PRODUCTION AND DISTRIBUTION
Actual production of physical CDs and their delivery will be contracted out to the service Flying Tadpole Productions have used and found totally reliable and trouble-free for the eight (8) CDs they've issued through them over the past five or six years. The digital delivery components we normally do direct, either through dropbox, bandcamp.com or through email where necessary.
No lead sheets or legible lyric/chord charts exist, only roughs on odd bits of paper. It'll take some time to complete the lead sheets. That's why the July 2019 delivery date.
LIFE AND DEATH?
There is always the possibility of Life getting in the way, or an irately vengeful tree falling on us collectively, but other than that there are no real risks here. It's not as if any band member can actually leave... And the product is almost all in existence already. Which is, of course, why the low target! This kickstarter is to get it "out there", not to start from scratch.