FLOTZ: Evolve your way to play
FLOTZ is a brand new role-playing game. FLOTZ is set in a sci-fi future. FLOTZ is an adrenaline Action RPG!
FLOTZ: Evolve your way to play
FLOTZ is a brand new role-playing game. FLOTZ is set in a sci-fi future. FLOTZ is an adrenaline Action RPG!
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Sat, June 1 2019 10:10 PM UTC +00:00.
One evening 15 years ago, 6 friends were about to meet each other, as they had been doing every week for a long time, to continue the adventure of a classic RPG. Three of them did not show up because of a mishap, the most classic of clichés.
Clearly the adventure had to wait another week, and the evening was wasted... or not?
"Well guys, we can go home, or we can invent a new game" the first suggested
"Impossible", the other two answered in chorus
"No seriously, I've been thinking about it for a while ... it takes less preparation, more speed, more action ..." the first insisted
"... I want to roll more dice ..."
" That’s the spirit! "
FLOTZ was born.
FLOTZ is all this, adrenaline, speed and interaction; it's rolling a lot of dice all together and respecting few simple rules; it's a desire to be together, for fun and excess.
FLOTZ is an ACTION RPG! A new thing of its kind, a different concept than everything you have ever seen or played with.
Flotz is a new role playing game with a sci-fi flavour, amazingly adrenalinic and utterly entertaining. Its fingerprint is three-fold:
- A role-set, easy and accommodating, capable of delivering great satisfaction to noobs as well as to expert players. You can play Flotz for an entire evening with a “quick and dirty” campaign or otherwise choose a party session with many smaller missions embedded in a unique and complex story-plot.
- An innovative dice system based set of rule (FullDiceSystem), permits players to roll an enormous amount of dice leaving each player in ecstasy for the damage or benefits he/she can deliver with it.
- A very unpredictable and customizable progression will build up your character. There are no levels, classes, races, gender or special abilities. Only mutations, drugs, cybernetic implants, powerful weapons, super fast vehicles, exoskeletons, a huge range of lethal and useful gadgets...will let your characters alive in a pitiless universe.
Are you ready to evolve?
Check out our FACEBOOK page! We daily update!
FLOTZ isn't a game for grognards: action rules the scene. Acting is important, but not fundamental.
- FLOTZ isn't a game for faints of heart: you'll die...a lot. Get on with it!
- FLOTZ isn't a game for refined players: excess and exaggeration are the basis.
- FLOTZ isn't what we think it might be, but what we want. Every party choses its own interpretation. Versatility is pivotal!
IF this idea will be pledged thanks to crowdfunding, we will deliver a 150 pages manual with hard cover. It will be unexpectedly horizontal A4, to facilitate reading charts and numbers (of which there are plenty)
This manual will be all you need to invent and play your next adventures!
In the manual all the followings will be present:
- All the descriptions of the main characteristics of your players (of your “reborns”)
- Character sheet (of which we want to realize the digital and interactive version)
- The mechanism of FDS, our statistical dice system
- The detailed sheets for all the weapons present in the game (melee weapons as well as guns, more than 30!!)
- More than 20 Drugs and 15 mutations will be described at length, essential to modify the results of each fight in every moment
- Descriptions of all possible biological changes that will enhance your alter-ego
- More than 20 Cybernetic implants ready to be connected to your body and all the possible upgrades you can install, will be present so that you can customize your personal and unique death machine
- The characteristics of the five main Extra-bike models, cars space crafts and their military equipment will be present ready to be driven and carried through space -time and extraterrestrial planets
- The entire equipment arsenal will be depicted and described, plus, 5 special artifacts from other galaxies will be present
- Six Exoskeletons with their characteristics will be presented
- Fights with all the particular cases you will be likely to face will be explained and exemplified (e.g. multi-weapon fights, fight with vehicles…)
- Death and mutilations will be explained within the rules of the game (a big chunk of it ahahahahah!!!)
- Health packs and every stuff to heal you party will be there to help keeping you alive
- Hacking will be explained too!
- In the manual you will find lots of game session examples, tips and details of any sort to make it smarter and easier to grasp
- Letting aside on of the main dishes...our artist , Alberto Besi, who joined the team and our ideas inventing and drawing an incredible set of images with an unique and unparalleled style
Thanks to one of our collaborators, Phd in physics (quantum physics-no kidding! ) we managed to create a dice system that let players throw a lot of dice giving so much pleasure and satisfaction during the game that is hard to resist the temptation to fight even if it seems totally purposeless. FDS has been developed, studied and tested with the precise idea to surpass a set value coming from simple additions and intuitive rules. As an example, to hit during a melee fight you will need to exceed, with your strength value DiceToHit, the value obtained summing your opponent HARDNESS and REFLEXES. DONE. Same thing for every other fight with guns, each weapon has a specific ‘to hit’ value with which you will need to surpass the DISPERSION and HARDNESS values summed together. Easy, isn’t it?
The simplicity of FDS is its own strength: few sums, tons of dice. LOTS OF FUN!
In Flotz too, the Master exists. He/she will create your adventures filling the story with obstacles, adversaries, uncharted worlds and credits to be accumulated! In the Manual there will be many hints and small tricks to help the Master guide the party through the adventures in a good game session. The Master will serve the purpose to let the parties have fun, remembering always that excess, gore and some sprinkle of insanity are essential ingredients in every game session. FLOTZ isn’t a game for those who prefer precise manners and impeccable personification of the characters: FLOTZ wants blood and showers of bullets.
Here there are no experience points. There are no "levels" . Characters are all created from the same "primordial soup" and can evolve based only the player's choices. Drugs, mutations, upgrades, cybernetic modifications: you will decide how to evolve your character! But be careful: any attempt to modify can also involve risks!
Every character in Flotz is the outcome of chance and the most ruthless genetic engineering. All the players will learn which GENETIC PROFILE theirs characters possess to determine the initial statistics and their resilience to mutations. Every genetic profile is associated to a precise MUTAGENIC VALUE which will determine the resistance of the subject to future mutations. You could start the game as an unbelievably well endowed humanoid, but extremely resistant to mutations, or on the other hand being a sub-optimal organism with an incredible genetic potential. Everything could change with drugs and upgrades!
In FLOTZ there are 5 characteristics:
- STRENGTH: will determine your ability to hit during fights and your lethality on short distance. Strength is divided in these sub-stats: DiceToHit (DTH), Damage, Mutilation bonus, Shock bonus.
- RESISTANCE: will determine your ability to resist to wounds and shocks. Resistance is divided in these sub-stats: Hardness, Recovery, Shock resistance, Hp Bonus.
- DEXTERITY: will determine your agility on the battlefield and your promptness to escape from enemies. Dexterity is divided in these sub-stats: Reflexes, Movement, Double Melee Weapons.
- INTELLIGENCE: will determine how good you are at guessing unknown equipment functioning, as well as your ability to learn to drive vehicles and use weapons. Essential for those who want to sneak in security systems to overcome such kind of problems. Intelligence is divided in these sub-stats: Neural Abilities, Hacking, Vehicles, Double Fire Weapons.
- TEMPER: will determine your ability to persuade others and to remain cold blooded during massacres. Temper is divided in these sub-stats: Persuasion, Morale, Sixth Sense, Courage.
Every characteristic is intertwined and connected with the others and their evolution tree make the characters unique.
The first die roll determines the basic characteristics and the mutagenic factor. Each d20 value has a specific result for stats. Higher starting characteristics will also mean a higher MF, which will prove disadvantageous for future mutations.
After the initial d20, each player will roll 4d4 and divide the result at will into the previously determined characteristics. A maximum of +4 can be added this way. MF doesn't change (this time!)
From lethal melee weapons (laser blades, energy gloves) to the deadly gatling guns. Plasma rifle, EMP pulsers, from missile launchers...to the powerful artifacts native from distant planets such as Darres’ BLADE or neutrinos charged rifle. Every weapon will be followed by a technical data sheet with all the intrinsic characteristics and stats and eventual peculiarities. Every character will be able to try to ameliorate each weapon with dedicated upgrade to make it even more catastrophic.
DRUGS AND MUTATIONS
Fights in FLOTS are lethal and extremely violent. Nobody can survive with ease to a shower of bullets from a gatling gun or to a single shot from a laser cannon. Luckily medical industry created incredible ‘cocktails’, that modify so deeply the body of those who use them to make them recover and, sometimes, survive. Drugs (injected with special bio-derma or simply by jubs) induce a temporary alteration of the characteristics (sometime permanent!) . WATCH OUT THOUGH….there is always the chance that things don’t work out so smoothly...MUTAGENIC factor (specific to every single player and linked to each genetic profile) will play a very strategic role.
Both players could try to evolve, but Bella has an advantage due to her lower MF. Failure means a lot of damage and Ben, with his higher MF, might decide not to risk it (this time)!
In Flotz there are SO MANY DRUGS!!
Let aside substances that can modify the body of the user, within FLOTZ characters will rely on a vast range of cybernetic upgrades which will make every part of the body a complex and hyper technologic machine. From the eyes to the brain, from the arms to the legs and finally to the torso: each single body part can be boosted to potentiate even more your own stats or to hosts new and incredible upgrades! Shields, mechanic arms, turbines... anything can make you more resistant and give you more chance to survive out there!
To install a bionic limb, first it will be necessary to understand if the intervention will be successful and the limb will not be "rejected". Then player will proceed to synchronize the upgrade with the character's brain. Each synchronization failure will have a -1 on the limb bonus (in this particular case the FORCE). Even if the limb does not have any bonuses (due to unlucky rolling or low intelligence of the character), it will still be possible to install weapons and upgrades at a later time.
Unbelievably fast Extra-bike, magnetic levitation cars or vehicles with atomic propulsion. Spacecrafts will let you reach unknown lands: in FLOTZ you have the possibility to drive and equip a huge number of vehicles, each one of them with specific and unique characteristic and a ad hoc arsenal. A dedicated fight and movement system will let you duel at crazy speeds on hard streets in the most remote planet or in the deep and infinite space letting your engines scream ...as well as your enemies.
After launching the "engine power" die, you'll discover your movement speed on vehicle. This value can be changed by the character's intelligence stat. To brake, you must overcome the engine roll, with the "brakes" dies. If you fail, the vehicle will proceed in a straight line at the speed previously launched, risking the crash and a lot of damage.
Chases and shootings will be frantic and fast but equally dangerous!
Heart of the game is the fight. In FLOTZ you will find brutal, frenetic and potentially deadly fights. Rules are simple and extremely ductile: After choosing you own action, initiative of the participants to the fight will be determined with dice-roll (initiative depend on each player weapon and his/her Reflexes stat), after that you will resolve ‘to hit’ throw and eventual wounds (lots, actually…. tons of wounds!) and it will be clear if survivors will have the guts to keep fighting. The most clever, the most powerful and the best equipped: only those who managed to evolve in a unique manner will overcome every opponent.
In this first scenario (very, very, very simple) Ben wants to hit Bella, bare hands. The result depends all on Ben's Strength value and Bella's Hardness and reflexes. Damage all depends on Ben's Strength value. Simple, fast.
When you use a melee weapon (sword in this case), stats of the weapon and Strength are added together, increasing this way the probability of hitting and damaging. In these examples speed values of the various weapons are not taken into account. Furthermore we add shock probabilities and mutilation (if weapon allows it)
From a great range (100mt), Bella could hit Ben with her laser rifle. As you will notice, in this case Bella's strength values are useless! Everything depends on the weapon stats. It doesn't take much strength to pull a trigger ;)
These are just basic examples to show how FullDiceSystem impacts on combats. Upgrades, bionic claims, drugs, mutations... everything can change every single feature of both your weapons and character!
In FLOTZ death is not so rare. Fights are tough and a bad choices can be fatal. Even in this case, though, technology helps you and thanks to that, you character can come back to life with special machines. Coming back to life however is neither cheap nor devoid of consequences: it will make your character weaker. Every death brings you closer to termination: when a single characteristic or the whole of you wounds reaches zero, the character is terminated and must be discarded. HANDLE YOU CHARACTERS WITH CARE!
We looked for and wanted badly an artist with not only a well known experience on this subjects but also the will to join and promote our vision. Alberto Besi is exactly who we needed: we worked closely with him to make perfect lots of details and concepts which have been translated with extremely detailed drawings. It is not just ability and skills: it is most of all study and dialectic. In particular Alberto wanted to create vehicles and weapon capable to give FLOTZ the soul we were seeking for.
EVERY material we will realize (from the PDF to the manual) will be exalted thanks to the incredibly strong visual impacts of Alberto’s drawings.
We want to create a manual with a unique and powerful art direction. Pages will be decorated with high-resolution illustrations created by our artist and will give the manual an amazing look. Its format, a useful A4 horizontal, will be perfect for reading the tables in the game.
Our design will allow you to access all information you need quickly and immediately, moving in an unprecedented visual environment. Minimal, essential, super cool.
This is the version we imagined for the character sheet. We will also create a completely digital and interactive version that will allow you to have columns that automatically add up the values, saving you even more time!
We really hope to conquer you with our ‘effort’: we put in FLOTZ all we liked from those many RPG we played (we are from the THAC0 generation ..just to be clear...).
Anyway the manual isn’t all we thought for our game: new weapons, new vehicles, new upgrades. And then planets with specific peculiarity changing the characteristic during the game, new alien races...
Basically in the pot there are all the ingredients to make you sessions even more engaging and juicy. Help us to realize them all!! Go check the FUTURE EXPANSIONS REWARDS session!!
Edoardo Santamato: Inventor & Project Leader, “MUNCHIA”
Edoardo invented and developed FLOTZ in every part. His dad, to make it simple. He owns an advertising agency (invasionecreativa) and thanks to his art director, Benedetto Papi, managed and developed the graphics and the art direction that characterize FLOTZ manual. He followed for some of his clients other Crowdfounding campaigns and he decided to give birth to FLOTZ because it was in the drawer for too many years!
"I've seen things you people wouldn't ... it isn’t new... is it?"
Alberto Santamato: Co-inventor , "BINJO"
Alberto is the ‘mad scientist's of the group. PHD in Physics (for real..check on google if you like), he developed and took care entirely of the ‘numbers’ of the game, DICE, CHARTS STATS, GAUSSIANS, probabilities and those thing the other are less familiar with. Sometime his mind is elsewhere ..thinking to photons or thachions, but numbers have no secrets for him.
"With how many dice you want me to kill you??"
Stefano Capponi: Project manager, "The ACCOUNTANT"
Stefano is the analytic mind of the group. He studied and developed the KICKSTARTER campaign: budgeting, timescale, planning. He followed the complex iter with the printer and shipping company. Since many years he works as marketing manager of a big international company and he gave all his competence and accuracy to the project.
"Give me money and I will raise the world. Anyhow a laser gun is just as good."
Stefano Bergamino : Project manager "JENA"
Stefano is the perfect support, not only during the game. He has long experience in the marketing of electronics for vast markets and he has a set of skills that makes him ductile for the instant service. He developed along with the other Stefano the planning of the project and the graphic parts of it. Essential with his continuous support of positiveness and optimism.
"My balls! It is my turn to blow everything up!"
Alessandro Santini: Creative Developer. "DOC"
Alessandro is the physician of the group. But only in real life. In the game he is the one who is always looking for the smarter and most creative way to solve a situation. Alessandro rewrote and ameliorate lots of the many rules in FLOTZ and also he took care of the future development of the manuals. A brilliant mind who most often found ways to simplify the rules.
"I've run out of ammo. Now I will go for warheads"
"And now? I have to kill you."
Help us to unlock everything we have in mind to make FLOTZ more and more unbelievable!
FLOTZ is an italian project that we present in two languages: Italian and English.
If funded, you're going to choose your version with a BackerKit survey.
Estimated shipping costs:
Here our shipping costs: you'll receive FLOTZ manual in a specially made cardboard box in order to prevent the product from being damaged during transport. Our shipping partner works with all the most important top players.
Risks and challenges
Our challenge is to share our passions creating a complete NEW RPG. We decided to start a Kickstarter Campaign to raise enough funds to realize our project, using all our efforts, in order to share a great new game with you all. We are sure about the quality of our rules and settings.
We need you to create the manual and the PDF. To pay translations, editing, art, designers. To print this incredible manual with high-standard and to ship to you.
Everything could go wrong... we know it. But we are putting in this project every single drop of our great passion and knowledge! We won't disappoint you!