Hello - my name is William Gray, also known as FloorCharts, and I'm excited to welcome you to my world of props, posters and charts used by your elected leaders every day. I've been archiving them for more than five years and due to popular demand, am finally putting a select few into a book - all for you!
(Yes, that is current Vice President Mike Pence celebrating Garfield's birthday when he served in Congress. Jim Davis, creator of the orange cat, is from Indiana.)
FloorCharts is the only online archive of its kind dedicated to exhaustively cataloging the charts, props and posters of the U.S. Federal Government.
Starting in November 2012, I spend my free time loading up thousands of charts every year at www.floorcharts.com, tweeting @FloorCharts every day and generally staying glued to C-SPAN (FULL DISCLOSURE: C-SPAN had no role in the creation or production of this work. All opinions or errors are mine only).
I am the unabashed expert on all things props and posters in Congress and am proud to have garnered plenty of coverage both in the press and online for my work - including being one of TIME Magazine's "Top 30 Tumblrs to Follow."
The Washington Post dubbed me the "poster boy for 'fair and balanced'." BuzzFeed called the props "absurd" and even Rachel Maddow couldn't resist getting in on the action. Oh, and NPR decided to highlight these quirky "stars of Congress" too. And, for your Capitol Hill junkies, you can usually find charts, posters and props in Roll Call every month.
I'm nonpartisan and unbiased, sparing no elected lawmaker, candidate or staffer as they spend tens of thousands in taxpayer dollars on poster-board props all aimed at getting your attention.
You already pay for the charts and posters - you might as well get the coffee-table book for your trouble.
The FloorCharts book is the ultimate gift for the political junkie in your family, office-mate who cannot stop tweeting about politics or best friend who needs graphic design inspiration.
- Do you work on Capitol Hill? This book is for you - or will be a great gift for a departing chartist on staff.
- Are you a journalist? #MakePoliticsFunAgain.
- Do you teach PR, government or journalism? I promise your textbooks have nothing like this and I'm only charging 1/10th of what they are!
- Looking for the perfect stocking-stuffer for the people in your life who will not stop talking about politics or turn off Fox News or MSNBC? They need this book and will not be able to put it down.
The FloorCharts book is chock-full of more than 30 pages of charty goodness, showcasing from "A to Z" how lawmakers want your attention and the lengths they will go to get it.
In addition to coverage in the Washington Post, Politico, BuzzFeed and dozens of other news outlets, FloorCharts was also awarded a no-strings-attached "Awesome Foundation" grant to continue work on the archive. I am proud to bring this fresh, creative endeavor to a whole new audience!
Get your copy now before it is too late.
- This is what it is all about - a political junkie's dream! The FloorCharts book is a carefully curated selection of charts, props and posters that lawmakers have used - and that I have collected: from A to Z.
- I am still finalizing the design. I believe simpler is better. Here is how the shirt might look:
The "International Chart Day" Poster
- You will select one chart or poster from the inaugural "International Chart Day" Gallery. The list of choices can be found here or here. First come, first served - e-mail or leave a comment with the number you want when you buy at this tier and I will lock it in. (These were prints of HD C-SPAN screencaptures of Congress using charts - not the original posters that appeared on the floor.) *LIMITED SUPPLY*
- Every one of these posters was used in an art exhibit and transported to and from apartments, Congress and other offices. They are slightly dinged (as one would expect) but not *damaged* at all. Examples include:
The One and Only Donald Trump Poster
- I have one - count'm, ONE - printed poster of President Donald Trump that I am rewarding at this Kickstarter level. You know that you want it to forever grace your home or office!
STRETCH GOAL: $5,000
- If I raise at least $5,000 I will create a FloorCharts: Trump Edition Book dedicated to the props, charts and posters used by - and featuring - President Trump and his administration. You have to see them to believe them and I have more than enough to accomplish this task.
Who am I?
I am William Gray, the founder, curator and tweeter behind FloorCharts. By day I work in political communications and in the evenings I stay glued to C-SPAN, board games and books of all sizes.
***If you're an international customer and really want a copy of the book, leave a comment and I'll reach out to you separately. Shipping costs will vary widely but I aim to please.
(Full disclosure: C-SPAN had no role in the creation or production of this work. All opinions or errors are mine only).
Thank you for your support - I heart you all.
Risks and challenges
I am thrilled to announce that I spent the past few months meticulously curating charts for this book. I have already printed a test copy and am perfecting it, expanding it and soliciting feedback as I seek funding to make it bigger, better and chart-ier.
My campaign will end by mid-October and as long as all goes according to plan with the publisher, I will have these books in your hands before the holidays of December 2018.
My commitment to you is:
1) I will be transparent and communicative both here and on Twitter.
2) I will do my best to ensure the book is free of errors (political and spelling included) and the photos are all legible and viewable.
Thank you for your consideration in supporting my fundraising campaign for FloorCharts, the Book!
If you have any questions or comments, please contact me.
- (32 days)