I see you're from the future! Even though this is a time travel game, the project is already closed and unfortunately we can't go back in time to when it was open. Fortunately, once you're done checking out the project page, you can still get your very own copy of Legacy: Gears of Time and Legacy: Forbidden Machines on Amazon or from Floodgate Games directly! Have fun, and thanks for your interest in Legacy!
In the world of Legacy, the course of history is maintained by the operators of the Ancient Machine. As an Antiquitect, the machine binds you to the present while you travel back through time to ensure the technological advancements of the world remain intact.
The dark energy fueling the Ancient Machine, called Vesper, is growing out of control; eroding the timeline and causing it to crumble faster than ever. Restoring balance is imperative, to do so the Antiquitects must break their oath and create the Forbidden Machines; mysterious contraptions they were sworn to never bring into existence!
Experience the rise of powerful new technologies in Legacy: Forbidden Machines.
Legacy: Gears of Time is a strategic card game mechanically rooted in its time travel theme. Players take turns of 3 actions (such as travelling back in time, establishing and influencing technologies, or drawing cards) to ensure increasingly elaborate technology chains remain intact. At the end of each of 4 rounds (4 turns per player during a round) players score Legacy points for having the most influence over a technology, and for each time a more advanced technology depends on it; the highest scoring player at the end of the game is the winner!
Legacy: Forbidden Machines uses all the familiar rules and components from Legacy: Gears of Time and includes a new set of technology cards, many of them introducing the Activation mechanic. Players with the most influence over these technologies can activate them once during their turn to perform powerful game effects such as drawing extra cards, swapping influence cubes, gaining an additional turn, and many more! Several of the fundamental technologies introduce When Established game effects, giving a little boost to hatching your time travel plans when these technologies are established. Prepare for a whole new level of depth and strategy while you travel back in time to Build Your Legacy.
Legacy is a euro-style table-top card game packed with strategic depth, tactical control and meaningful choices. Each game is played in a fixed number of turns, and features an interesting blend of familiar mechanics such as hand-management, area-control, variable player order and scaling victory point rewards.
The art, theme and game play are non-violent and intended to be suitable for families and hard-core gamers alike.
- Number of Players: 2 to 4 players
- Ages: 13 and up
- Play Time: About 30 minutes per player
Please note - The Legacy: Forbidden Machines expansion is not a stand-alone game. Legacy: Gears of Time base game is required to be able to play.
The ANTIQUITECT reward level includes a copy of Legacy: Gears of Time along with the expansion if you'd prefer to get them together. Otherwise, Legacy: Gears of Time is currently available online (US - UK) and in retail stores world-wide.
Legacy: Forbidden Machines will be manufactured in a strong cardboard box with a cardboard insert to hold the following included components:
Technology Cards (79): Forbidden Machines is played with a whole new set of 36 unique technologies, with brand new card frames and full color art by Steve Maggart. Although compatible, these technologies are intended to be played as a wholesale replacement of the original set.
A new icon system has been incorporated into the design; each technology will have icons for its dependencies shown on the left. On the right is the icon for each technology it leads to. This helps a great deal with scoring and finding dependencies for technologies in your hand.
- Time Frame marker - The Season Splicer technology allows you to add a new timeframe to the left of the timeline which is represented by this marker. The new time frame works just as the others, with a capacity equal to its distance from the present day.
- Technology Capacity "X" marker - Indicates a capacity of ten technologies if the new time frame is added during a four player game.
- Failed Technology markers (12) - These tokens are used to denote which technologies are not successful during the round. This helps identify which technologies can be activated and expedites the end of round scoring.
- Reward Value Modifier tokens +1/-1 (7) - Two of the new technologies can modify the reward for another technology; +1 reward from Gilding Cannon and -1 from Rustifier. These will help indicate the change.
- Extra Turn token (4) - When activated, the ability of the Destiny Grafter technology awards a fifth turn to a player. That player receives one of these tokens as a reminder.
Character Cards (4): These serve as an aid to remind players of the actions available during a turn and are where influence cubes are stored. The art, name, and story behind each of the characters will be created in collaboration with 4 of the backers from this project; choose the BUILD YOUR LEGACY reward tier to be part of the game!
Rules Booklet: Full color rules booklet (referred to as 'The Machine Operator's Guidebook') explaining the new components and mechanics. All backers at the ANTIQUITECT level and above will be listed as a Kickstarter backer in the Legacy: Forbidden Machines rules booklet, the FUNDAMENTAL level and above will be listed in the downloadable pdf version of the rules booklet.
To dig deeper into what's new in Forbidden Machines, check out the rules booklet (draft - work in progress). If you're new to Legacy, be sure to also check out the full rules booklet to Legacy: Gears of Time here (pdf, 24MB).
As an extra Thank You to everyone generous enough to back this project, we're including some promotional components for backers at every level:
- Additional expansion-expansion Technology cards (5) - We came up with some pretty unique Activation and When Established abilities that didn't quite fit, but were still interesting and fun! These cards will be available as a promotional component, and are playable with all other Legacy: Forbidden Machines technologies. We'll reveal these throughout the project, so stay tuned!
- Kickstarter Technology card - It's back! This Technology card was previously included as a Kickstarter Exclusive reward for backers of the Legacy: Gears of Time project. It's still exclusive to Kickstarter backers, but has returned and is available for backers of this project. Note:This card is playable with the Legacy: Gears of Time technology deck, but is not compatible with the technologies in the Legacy: Forbidden Machines expansion.
Note: The illustrations will be completed toward the end of the project
With your support, I'll be able to send you some really cool upgrades!
Here's a preview of the Tech Tree Poster stretch reward
Here are some reviews and overviews for Legacy.
Legacy: Forbidden Machines
Wired's GeekDad - Travel Through Time
Craig Vollmar - Legacy: Forbidden Machines - Preview (Board Game Geek)
"Quick Review" and "How to Play" videos by GreyElephant Gaming (note: These were done using prototype materials, subject to change):
Legacy: Gears of Time
- Chris Kirkman (Dice Hate Me) "Game of the Year 2012" Runner Up
- Tom Vasel (Dice Tower) "Most Innovative Games of 2012"
- Undead Viking "Top Games of 2012" Honorable Mention
- Tim Norris (InD20 Group) "Top Game of 2012"
- Michael Fox (Little Metal Dog Show)
- Board Game Reviews by Josh
- Ryan Metzler (Dice Tower)
- Gaming Trent (BGG)
- The Game Gallery (Japanese)
- Synn Solis (Chinese)
- LFG.HU (Hungarian)
To add custom protective sleeves to your rewards, simple increase your pledge by the amounts indicated below for the items you would like to add. There's no additional shipping charge.
Floodgate Games was started by me (the guy in the video), Ben Harkins, in 2012. Our goal is to publish games that are fun and challenging, and so far this has been made possible through the incredible support of great communities such as Kickstarter, Board Game Geek, and all the fantastic people I've met at conventions. I'm looking forward to being able to publish an expansion to our first title with your help!
Whether you were a backer for the Legacy: Gears of Time Kickstarter project last year (thank you!), picked it up after (thank you, too!), or are brand new just now (hello!), I appreciate you spending your time checking out Forbidden Machines. If you choose to back this project, thank you in advance for helping make this game a reality; it means a lot to me, you're awesome!
If you have any questions comments at all, please don't hesitate to message me! I'd love to hear from you.
Track this project over at Kicktraq.com
Here are more cards from Forbidden Machines:
Risks and challenges
Many of the challenges of producing Legacy: Gears of Time will surely present themselves with the expansion. The main challenge will be the logistics of getting everything manufactured and delivered on time. Since my planned timing for publishing coincides with when many other publishers are having their titles manufactured in time for the big conventions, it is more likely there will be manufacturing delays.
My experience from a successful Kickstarter project for Legacy: Gears of Time will help immensely for being even more prepared this time around!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Technically, yes. However, the technologies in Forbidden Machines and Gears of Time have no overlap, so it probably wouldn't be very fun. The intention is to play a game through using one set or the other.
The mini expansion was included as a stretch reward during the Kickstarter project for Legacy: Gears of Time. It's a set of 10 cards (5 unique technologies) which you can add to your copy of the base game. It's available now through the BoardGameGeek promo store, check it out!
Support this project
- (33 days)