Fliwer takes care of your plants efficiently, using smart sensors and advanced technology, from your smartphone, tablet or PC. Read more
Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on November 1, 2013.
About this project
TechCocktail - "Use technology to become a better gardener".
Postscapes - "Enables a more refined level of control than traditional systems".
DesireThis - "Intelligent and sustainable care of plants".
GadgetReview - "Even if you don’t have a green thumb, plant care is simplified and made easy via Fliwer".
ChipChick - "Fliwer is a High-Tech doctor for your plants".
KillerStartups - "There’s a great product for sale and a platform with enormous potential"
Fliwer, the new way to comunicate with your plants
- You could communicate to your plants and know what they need as well as when and how they need it.
- You could have a personal gardener who tells you what tasks to do to have your plants in their optimal status or alert you if something goes wrong.
- Remotely control your plants from any device connected to the Internet.
- You could care for your plants based on knowledge instead of intuition.
- Optimize the irrigation and save water. Fliwer will water your plants only when they need it, thus promoting sustainability.
- The system is connected to meteorological services to take into account weather forecast in the maintenance of your plants.
How Fliwer makes it possible
Fliwer is composed of a group of devices that monitor and control all the parameters that affect plant's vitality: soil moisture, light, temperature, air humidity, fertilizer… By mixing all this information with our plant database and weather forecast, Fliwer will decide for you when to water your plants. This will save water and will keep your plants beautiful. It also tells when you should fertilize, prune, harvest or expect the plants to flower.
Designed to replace older irrigation systems that tend to waste resources by watering on a timed schedule regardless of whether or not your yard actually needs the moisture.
These devices are placed next to the plant and are responsible for monitoring their vital status and send all relevant data to Fliwer Online Platforms. All Fliwer devices communicate with each other wirelessly forming mesh networks (Smart Grid), which allow communication over great distances.
Fliwer Online Platforms are where you can communicate to your plants. You can see their status and control it in real-time. Through these platforms you will receive advice, warnings and alerts related to your plants. It is also possible to join the Online Platforms without owning any Fliwer devices.
Fliwer has a server with Artificial Intelligence algorithms that let us know what your plants need at any time. We can anticipate future problems, that may arise, in an effort to avoid them or diagnose common illnesses before they happen.
Monitor and control the vital status of the plant and it's environment.
Fliwer Sensor is an electronic device which is placed next to the plant or group of plants you want to take care of, and its function is to control the vital parameters and its environment via intelligent sensors. It can water its area with an irrigation valve, which is inside the device.
Fliwer is a fully scalable system, can be used to control a large area, an extensive cultivation, golf course or an urban garden either to control a concrete plant in a pot, planter, etc.
The difference between these environments will be the number of Fliwer Sensors to be used. For example to control a plant or several plants of a particular zone will suffice with one Fliwer Sensor. In contrast, in a larger area, the number of Fliwers will depend on the number of physiologically different zones that exist in cultivation. It is not necessary to place a Fliwer Sensor for each plant, but a Fliwer Sensor for each zone. Fliwer is capable of controlling several species of plants that lie in the same zone if they have similar physiological profiles. If the plants are not compatible, the system will send an alert, so you will recognize it.
Fliwer Sensor is resistant to water and environmental agents. Fliwer can control different species of plants generating a shared profile of maintenance. The different Fliwer Sensors communicate with each other wirelessly forming an intelligent network. (Smart Grid).
Light Sensor (Luxometer). It can measure the amount of light the plant is receiving. Every plant specie has an specific light requirements. Light is one of the most important environmental factors for plant care.
Air Humidity Sensor. An air humidity sensor is placed in the back of the device. It allows the measure of the environmental humidity. Every plant specie is adapted to a specific humidity. Those values with those of the other sensors let us estimate evapotranspiration. This sensor can be useful to avoid diseases, concretely fungal infections.
Temperature Sensor. The environmental temperature sensor measure temperature with precise accuracy and reliability. Giving important information directly related to the vital status of the plant. Each plant specie has its optimal temperature range.
Solenoid Valve. Fliwer Sensor has a Solenoid Valve integrated inside the device. This valve lets you water the area when it is needed with the information coming from the sensors, weather forecast and characteristics of each plant from our Plant Library. Fliwer Sensor can water your plants automatically, or manually through the Online Platforms.
The solenoid valve integrated on Fliwer Sensor can be used for Sprinkle irrigation. It can also be used to manage a drip irrigation system to save more water and fertilizer by allowing water to drip slowly to the roots of plants.
Soil Moisture Sensor. We have an advanced soil moisture sensor based on the volumetric water content (VWC). Soil moisture is one of the most important parameters to keep the plant healthy.
Electroconductivity Sensor. This sensor provides information on the level of fertilizer there is on the plant substrate. It provides information about when the plant needs nutrients. It also measures the level of salt in the soil to avoid salinity problems in your garden.
Fliwer uses long distance wireless technology. Fliwer Sensor communicates with other devices on the system network. The range can vary between 30m and 50m, but it can be incremented using antennas with more gain.
The best way to communicate to your plants by Fliwer system is the Fliwer Online platforms. However, another way is using the RGB Led indicator that is in Fliwer Sensor. The different statuses of the plants are shown using a variety of colors and levels. If you are in your garden or beside your plants you can have direct information using the Led indicator.
Fliwer Sensor includes a Li-ION battery ready to work at extreme conditions. This battery provides about a year of autonomy per charge. You only should charge his Fliwer Sensor once per year.
Fliwer Sensor has been designed and made to handle extreme conditions. Our engineers have done great work researching the best materials ready to endure environmental agents such as, high and low temperatures, sunlight, heavy rains, hailstorms, etc. Fliwer Sensor is waterproof, but it isn't made of O-ring seals to join the different pieces of it's housing because sometimes O-rings seals don't ensure perfect sealing. Instead of that, Fliwer is made using Linear Vibration Weldeding technology in order to join the different plastic pieces of Fliwer housing to create one final piece.
USB port allows you to charge Fliwer Sensor using the micro-USB connector that Fliwer Sensor has at the rear cover. Fliwer includes a charger and a USB cable, however, it can be charged by any USB cable of a computer or mobile phone.
Fliwer devices have OTA capability. Firmware updates are done directly "over the air" from our R&D center to your Fliwer devices. You will always have Fliwer System updated with the last functionalities and improvements.
Manage your irrigation system.
One Fliwer Sensor can be linked to each solenoid valve connected to the Fliwer Control. Its main function is to control the solenoid valves based on what the linked Fliwer Sensors collect, as well as depending on the information available in our information systems in the cloud (Weather forecast and the characteristics of every plant).
Apart from controlling solenoid valves, Fliwer Control can manage other peripherals like lights, fans, extractors... matching the electrical requirements of the device.
Depending on the voltage, Fliwer Control is available in two models: Fliwer Control 24V and Fliwer Control 9V, so it is possible to control solenoid valves of 9V or 24V.
If the power grid is available you must use Fliwer Control 24V. In places where the power grid is not available, you must use Fliwer Control 9V (we offer the 9V with a battery pack).
Connect all Fliwer devices to the Cloud
Fliwer Link is the device that will make it possible to communicate the Fliwer Sensors network and the online Platforms.
Fliwer Link is able to communicate to the nearest Fliwer Sensor wirelessly. The range between them is about 100m with direct line of sight.
This device will connect to the Internet via WiFi or 3G (mobile network). Fliwer Link is supplied with an AC adapter, but if there is no access to electricity, a battery pack can be ordered. Fliwer Link is available in 2 different models: Fliwer Link Wifi or Fliwer Link 3G.
Fliwer Link Wifi has been designed to share information from Fliwer Network to the Cloud with WiFi.
Fliwer Link 3G has been designed to provide broadband internet access to even the most remote locations, where traditional phone lines are unavailable
Fliwer Link also works as a charging station for the Fliwer Sensor devices via USB connection.
Fliwer Cloud, a smart system, processes all data received and generates the best maintenance tasks.
On one side, Fliwer has a vast knowledge base of many species of plants. For each of them we have detailed information. For example physiological characteristics, optimal conditions for its life, related maintenance of the plant (when to prune, amount of light to flower, typical diseases and how to fight them) etc.
Apart from the information related to the plants, the knowledge base is provided with meteorological data. We can use this information to benefit the plants and sustainability, as well as alerts in case of adverse situations or other information we can extract from several sources. (Plague alerts, experts opinions, data from plant investigation centers...).
All this information, together with the information coming from the Fliwer Sensors, is then processed by the Artificial Intelligence module. The Artificial Intelligence module allows the system to send tips and alerts, depending on all the information from the sensors, meteorological forecast, and the knowledge base (Plant Library). The Plant Library contains the characteristics of each plant and was created by expert biologists. It is constantly updated and on continuous improvement by the Biology department.
This information gives the Fliwer System a smart autonomy to work without your interaction if desired.
Fliwer Online Platforms
You can communicate to your plants from the Fliwer Online Platforms. In these Platforms you will be informed of anything happening to your plants, and you will have total control of them.
Fliwer Online Platforms are accessible from any web browser and by downloading smartphone apps for Android and iOS systems.
My Fliwer is your virtual garden. This Platform is the most advanced management system for gardens and plants. From there you can monitor and control your plants, manage the parameters that will control your irrigation or fertilization system, as well as add and register the new devices acquired. You will be provided with maintenance advice, alerts and notifications coming from our Artificial Intelligence module.
- Control. Check the needs of your plants at any time. Manage your irrigation system and have total control of your garden remotely.
- Interactivity. Upload photographs and give a nickname to your garden. Have your customized garden and act directly with your plants. Connect to the Online Platforms with your smartphone, tablet or PC.
- Recommendations. Artificial intelligence module manages and sends alerts, notifications and advice about the status of your plants. This module acts like a specialized gardener able to share his experience with you.
- Information. Check information about any plant in our Database. Have updated information of your garden and weather forecast of your geographical zone.
From the Community you can communicate with other users who have similar needs or problems to exchange knowledge on the cultivation of your plants.
- With our worldwide community you can learn, chat and share useful tips and much more! Be part of a group of experts, share doubts, and opinions.
- Whether or not you have Fliwer devices, you can join our Social Network.
Configure your Garden
One Fliwer Sensor can control an homogeneous zone with different plants. Each area should have similar amounts of light, temperature and soil.
Every sector is defined as a zone with different properties from the surrounding area. The number of different sectors will determine the number of Fliwer Sensors needed to manage your garden. A criteria to determine the sectors could be if a zone receives less direct sunlight from another, or if your garden has different types of soil.
Some examples of sector/area identifications:
If you have different plants on flower pots under the same conditions you can use just 1 Fliwer Sensor to manage it because it is Multi-plant. (Left picture)
Plant Species needs sometimes are different between them, for that reason if you have incompatible plant species you will need more than one Fliwer Sensor. The system will check if species are compatible and automatically will send notifications if needed. (Right picture)
On this picture there is a lawn garden identified as Zone 1, and a planter Zone 2. You will need 2 Fliwer Sensors to control this garden, one for the lawn and another one for the planter. Soil conditions of the planter are different from the lawn ones. You can also manage Drip & Sprinkle irrigation with Fliwer Sensors.
As the picture shows is not necessary to place more than one Fliwer Sensor on the lawn if it has homogeneous conditions because this two sensors will show the same results. The reward that suits best is Small Garden Kit.
If you have a garden that receives different sunlight depending on the zone you will need more than one Fliwer Sensor. For example, on the picture we have 4 zones:
- (1) Shady area.
- (2) Sunny area.
- (3) Vegetable area.
- (4) Planters area.
As a result, 4 Fliwer Sensors are needed to manage this garden efficiently. With Fliwer sensors of Zones 3 and 4, drip irrigation can be managed. Fliwer Control is also needed to manage irrigation system (sprinklers) of Zones 1 and 2.
- Fliwer system uses Smart Grid to build a Wireless mesh network.
- All Fliwer devices communicate with each other by Radio frequency (RF), including the Link. But the last one shares the information with the server and the artificial intelligence module via WiFi or 3G.
- It is an intelligent network that provides flexibility and it is self-organizing.
- Smart Grid allows the communication over great distances because all devices share the information to the nearest device.
- Fliwer Sensor is Multi-plant device. It is not necessary to place a Sensor with each plant, one device can control different plant species.
- One Fliwer Sensor can control a physiologically homogeneous zone with different plants. Each area should have similar amounts of light, temperature and soil in order to build a representative profile of the crop and take care of that area.
If Fliwer detects that one plant is incompatible with the plants on the surrounding area it automatically will send a notification to you.
- Fliwer System uses information provided by the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) to help gardeners and growers to determine which plants are more likely to grow in a particular area.
- The 2012 USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map is the standard by which gardeners and growers can determine which plants are most likely to thrive at a location.The map is based on the average annual minimum winter temperature, divided into 10-degree F zones.
- Depending on the Hardiness zone scale of your location and the one associated to your plant species Fliwer System will help gardeners care for their plants.
- For Europe and Australia Fliwer will use American Horticultural Society and Australian National Botanic Gardens information like AHS Heat Zones.
- Fliwer System lets you know if your plants are native to your region. Additionally, the system can recommend native plant species of their own Hardiness Zone if desired. Landscaping with native species is very positive for the environment and helps to integrate our gardens to the ecosystem.
- For additional information visit: USDA Hardiness Zone
We are enthusiasts of technology and our goal is to build a perfect system that will meet all customer requirements. We have seen unsatisfied customer needs on previous Kickstarter projects. We worked hard to build an integral solution for plant lovers and here are some examples.
Smart Grid (Please read the above section for information regarding Smart Grid)
Multi plant (Please read the above section for information regarding Multi plant).
Fliwer Link 3G & Smart Water Automotation:
- Fliwer Link 3G works using cell phone coverage. Using this method the system can work in places with no internet access.
- Fliwer System can manage automatically the irrigation of your plants. Using the artificial intelligence module, weather forecast and the information collected from Fliwer Sensors the system will water your plants at the optimal moment.
Non-main powered valves & Colours
- Regarding non-main powered valves there are two options. Water the plants using the solenoid valve inside Fliwer Sensor. Or use Fliwer Control 9V with the battery pack and control up to 6 solenoid valves.
- We have noticed the desire to have less noticeable products on their gardens or flower pots. Backers will have the option to chose between a range of colors once Kickstarter campaign has been successfully completed.
Micro Climate Measurement & (Led indicator + Artificial Intelligence Module)
- Fliwer Sensor can measure exact conditions in your garden, field, flower pot... It precisely measures Light, Humidity, Temperature, Soil moisture, Electroconductivity (Level of fertilizer). Fliwer Sensor works as a particular Weather Station.
- Once you have added your own different species of plant, Fliwer Sensor will start monitoring all the parameters and sharing the information with the Artificial Intelligence Module. The LED indicator will light up depending on the needs of your plants. You will also recieve notifications on the DashBoard of your garden (My Fliwer).
- Color Legend depending on the parameter: Light=Yellow, Humidity=White, Temperature=Red, Soil moisture=Blue, Electroconductivity=Purple.
We need your support!
Fliwer has over 2 years of R&D behind. All the devices and Online Platforms that you can see in the video are real, working prototypes.
First Drafts of the Industrial Designers, inspired in nature and for nature.
With your support, we can bring Fliwer to plants worldwide. While we are working on the final tests of development, your contribution will help fund to entering Production.
Diifferent evolutions of Fliwer Sensor device are shown below:
Here some evolution of the electronic of Fliwer to show how the electronics have evolved along with the rest of the sensor to the first drafts since some of the most advanced designs:
Thanks to a unique combination of competence in technological, innovation, and application development Branson is the industry leader in design, development, manufacturing and marketing of plastic joining, ultrasonic process and ultrasonic metal welding equipment.
For Fliwer, we have chosen Linear Vibration Welding, because it is the best option to ensure a 100% perfect seal.
If you like Fliwer, get yours today.
FLIWER vs MARKET
We have compared the functionalities of Fliwer with several products on the market. We tried to build each Fliwer device by combining the different devices on the market which have similar features. Here are the results:
Fliwer Link Wifi vs Market.
Fliwer Link Wifi is unique. We couldn't find any similar product available. Most of these products are used for professional agriculture where Wifi coverage is not available.
Fliwer is developed by an innovative and talented team, that is passionate about changing the way people experience Plant Care. We are experienced in developing innovative products, because we’ve tackled new technology projects of different scopes. We’ve designed and manufactured consumer hardware; we’ve built well-adopted software for different industries. Now we’re excited to build a product that can so radically change the way people Care & Enjoy their plants.
Marc Capilla is an R&D engineer with experience in different sectors of R&D departments such as Industrial, Consumer electronics and Sanitary. He has always been dedicated to the creation and improvement of innovative and high technological products. He has been working on Artificial Vision and Robotics fields and also, he has worked in the multinational Japanese Company SONY in the department of Technical Planning developing R&D project for SONY Bravia products at international level.
Marc Muntada is an enthusiastic R&D engineer who has worked in several high tech companies, such as Sony, Sharp and E2S. In Sony and Sharp he developed software and electronics for European Smart TV market. He also prototyped and proposed some of the new product line. In E2S he developed sensor networks for parkings and audio streaming products for shops, all of them based on embedded linux systems.
At the beginning of 2010, he began to research and prototype an automatic irrigation system for his kitchen garden. Some months later, together with Marc Capilla, they started to shape the project to become a mass market product, starting the fundamentals of the current company.
Our team is made up of:
- Biology Department (Biology & Agronomy Engineering).
- Electronic Engineers.
- Software Engineers.
- Telecommunication Engineers.
- Experts in Industrial Computing, Automatic, Computing and Systems.
- Robotics and Computer Vision experts.
- Experts in Finance & Marketing.
Risks and challenges
One of the most challenging parts of Fliwer project is manufacturing. For that reason we work with expert manufacturers, they have experience working with large companies.They are more than capable to produce all the products expected at any deadline. The manufacturers experience provides them the adaptability and flexibility needed for Fliwer Project.
We have already prototyped the product and it works, the technology is proven and we are on the final stage which is 'mass production'. We have an experienced team but high-tech products are difficult and problems will arise on order fulfillment. We know that we can deliver within the estimated delivery timeframe.
In terms of packaging we are testing different options. We want to know the most efficient transport dimensions. Having the final package as soon as possible is another one of our goals.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (30 days)