About this project
Python is a great programming language. It's free, powerful, easier to read than most languages, and has extensions available to do almost anything you could imagine automatically.
But how do you actually use it? There are tons of resources out there for learning Python, but none of them are very practical or interesting - instead, they go over each concept one by one, never tying anything together, but spending plenty of time lost in technical language, discussing the twenty different ways to accomplish each basic task...
I want to write an e-book that finally gives a concise introduction to everything you might actually want to do with Python.
We'll start with a quick but thorough overview of all the basics, so you don't even need any prior experience with programming. But the majority of the book will be spent building up example code to solve interesting real-world problems.
Python is fantastic for automating repetitive tasks that might otherwise take you hours - for instance, quickly gathering data from the web, or renaming hundreds of files. Some of the topics that I'm planning to cover:
- Collecting data from webpages (web scraping)
- Interacting with PDF files - reading data, creating PDFs, modifying pages, adding passwords...
- Interacting with Excel files (less functionality in OS X)
- Calling other outside programs from within Python
- Files - read/write/modify, unzip, rename, move, etc.
- Basic game development
- Interacting with SQL databases (internal and ODBC connections)
- GUI (Graphical User Interface) design - creating simple point-and-click programs that anyone can use
- Any other topics that you, my backers, are most interested in!
- Update: by popular demand, I'll be adding web application development
Be sure to take the two-question survey at PythonByExample.com to let me know what topics you want to learn most, so that I can really focus on the most relevant information as I continue to build up the course.
This is more than just an e-book; this is a full course that will include sample exercises and answer scripts to make sure that you can implement the concepts in practical ways on your own. I'll even include test files for practice - webpages for data scraping, PDFs to read and modify, etc... And anyone who gets the e-book via this Kickstarter will get free updates for life if I make any changes or additions to the course.
It's time to learn real programming!
Support this project
- (20 days)