About this project
Our Patent Pending FLEKS3D™ Build-Plate System makes it easier than ever before to have an uninterrupted, fluid 3D printing experience. We have tackled 3 major issues with 3D printing: releasing the print from the build-plate, a good grip on the build-plate for no warping and resetting the leveling of the build-plate between each print.
Still interested? Here is the long version of how we did it:
FLEKS3D™ Build-Plate greatly improves on the standard build-plate by providing easy removal of the 3D prints and interchange of plates for an uninterrupted 3D printing experience.
As amazing as 3D print technology is there are still many things that need to be improved upon. The most frustrating part is releasing the prints from the build-plate. When attempting to remove the part, you can often damage the part or hurt yourself.
For the Makerbot Replicator 2 the build-plate is entirely replaced with a thicker “base plate” and a thinner flexible “top plate”
The FLEX3D™ Build-Plate System for the Makerbot Replicator (5th Gen) and Universal Plates are placed on top of the current build-plate. For most standard 3D printers, It consists of a “frame” that is permanent and a “plate” that fits snug within the “frame” for of ease removal.
The ease of removing a 3D print is achieved by flexing the FLEKS3D™ Build-Plate. By doing so, the print releases its grip on the plate and simply pops off. This is without using any tools... or risking any bloodshed.
Video of FLEKS3D Universal Build-Plates 6x6" in-use
Another challenge with 3D printing is removing the build-plate from the 3D printer without disrupting the leveling of the plate. With standard printers, removing the plate involves mechanical actions that can disrupt the leveling. Hence the leveling of the plate has to be redone frequently. By having a frame that is permanent and a plate that is not mechanically attached, it is easy to remove the plate with the print without disrupting the leveling of the plate. We offer two plates in each set. This is so you can get straight back to printing without having to remove a print. We have found this to be especially useful when a print “craps out” and leaves the hard to remove first layers.
A continuous challenge with 3D printing is achieving good grip to the build-plate. Standard build-plates require tape or hairspray to achieve this. Our proprietary texture is an ideal surface to achieve grip for the print. No more need for annoying tape or hairspray.
In short, the FLEKS3D™ Build-Plate System provides a much more fluid and easy 3D printing experience with much less frustration.
With your help we can meet the minimum order that our manufacturer requires and provide the FLEKS3D™ at the best possible price
DON'T SEE YOUR SIZE? MESSAGE US. WE CAN ADD THIS SIZE IF WE GET ENOUGH REQUESTS.
The FLEKS3D™ has had extensive testing for PLA and ABS. We have not tried nylon. However, the principal is the same and should work as well as it does with PLA/ABS. Same is true for any other material
We have not done extensive testing with a heated bed. This is since our UltraGrip™ texture creates a very strong grip and a heated bed haven't been necessary to avoid warping. The FLEKS3D™ is made of a thermoform plastic with a melting point at 311 F or 155 °C. If a heated bed is used the temperature needs to be set bellow this.
Why FLEKS3D™ Build-Plate System?
- EASE OF REMOVAL OF 3D PRINT FROM BUILD-PLATE: The flexibility of the FLEKS3D™ Build-Plate makes it super easy to remove prints. We chose a highly resistant thermoset (plastic). This is because it is far more flexible and holds its form better than spring steel or other metals. We found that it is important to be able to flex the plate a lot for the really hard prints to remove. From our experience, just having a little bit of flex isn’t enough for the prints that are really stuck on the build-plate
- EASE OF REPETITIVE PRINTING BY HAVING SEVERAL EASILY REPLACED PLATES: The FLEKS3D™ kit comes with 2 plates. This makes it possible to interchange them for an uninterrupted 3D printing experience.
- ULTRAGRIP WITH THE PROPRIETARY TEXTURE: The FLEKS3D™ Build-plate features proprietary texture that makes tape and hairspray unnecessary.
- LESS DISRUPTIVE TO THE LEVELING OF BUILD-PLATE: Resetting the leveling of the build-plate after each print is tedious to say the least. This is not necessary with the easy removal set-up that the FLEX3D™ incorporates. This is because it comes with 2 easily removed plates that fit snug in the permanent frame.
- BEST PRICE: Let's face it you work hard for your money. We don’t want to have you break the bank. We have made a great effort to be able to offer the FLEKS3D™ Build-Plate System at the best possible price. This is so we can offer this to as many people as possible.
Risks and challenges
We have a fully functioning “manufacturing prototype”. What this means is that our manufacturer has already done a short run of the FLEKS3D™ build-plate. A "real prototype" is only a “proof” that concept works. The vast difference is that we are already set up for production with a dedicated manufacturer and are ready to go within 4-8 weeks of a successful campaign.
There are no risks with this product. We can have it in your hands within 4 weeks of a successful campaign.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)