The Ultimate Sleeper Hammock
An easily adjustable truly lay flat hammock, that allows you to sleep comfortably on your back, side or stomach.
The Ultimate Sleeper Hammock
An easily adjustable truly lay flat hammock, that allows you to sleep comfortably on your back, side or stomach.
Most hammocks are not adjustable, and they droop in the middle making your body curve in an unfamiliar way.
We re-imagined the hammock and solved this problem. “The Ultimate Sleeper Hammock” uses a patent pending hourglass shape with adjustable variable length end cross members and strap tension that allows you to control the hammocks curvature, enabling you to lie flat, or slightly concave up or down, depending on your body and preference. We believe this will change the way people enjoy hammocks.
We perceived a need for a hammock that was easier to sleep on, and more comfortable in general. We converted that perceived need into a vision for a better hammock. We have made many prototypes, but now we need your help in refining and optimizing this new invention to best meet your needs for the various adventures you all may have. We plan to use Kickstarter backer surveys to poll our sponsors and get guidance on various refinements for this new design, to make it better for everyone. Things like pocket sizes and placements, final dimensions, color combinations, and if all goes well and we meet our base funding request we will solicit input through backer polls on features to add as stretch goals. We hope you will be a part of our new hammock design project, and give us your preferences, good ideas and guidance, and we will make this a cooperative community development project that is informative, enjoyable and rewarding for all.
We have a little bit of bias of course, because we have tried the prototype hammocks. And they are unique. So comfortable, and adjustable, and open and airy, and cool! We believe that once you try it, you will agree that you have never experienced this level of adjustable curvature control and comfort in a hammock before! Please help us make this new hammock design vision a reality, so you can enjoy it too!
Our design is more expensive than most hammocks due to the use of high strength materials throughout (rip-stop fabric, high tension webbing and high stiffness cross members) but we have tried to keep the cost down as much as possible, so it is affordable especially for our Kickstarter backers as sponsors. Our rationale is that for less than the price of a one night’s stay in most hotels, you can be rewarded with the Ultimate Sleeper Hammock, and spend countless hours of rest, relaxation, and sleeping in it so you are ready for your next big adventure, and to discover your reality. And you can also feel rewarded with the satisfaction that you helped to guide and direct the final phases of this new design project!
- With the standard 3 cross members (12” long each) the hammock is made to lie-flat for most users
- With the maximum 4 cross members the hammock is stretched open at each end to raise that end (curvature center upward), and to allow the occupants to see out from side to side easily
- With the minimum 2 cross members the hammock drops the head and foot end (curvature center downward) for a slight inverse curvature, best for sleeping on your stomach
- Each setting is further adjustable by adjusting the hammock's tension with the quick adjustment end straps
- Adjustable lay-flat design with curvature adjustments
- Hourglass shape to raise center and lower ends
- Length-wise suspension webbing to support load from the sides
- Precision fiberglass cross-braces with couplers (Basic model) or machined aluminum cross-braces and couplers (Lightweight model)
- Integral end support straps with quick-adjustment loops. No tying or un-typing knots required.
- Included 12' tree attachment straps for a complete system
- Two pockets on each side (Basic Model), one inner and one outer - great for packing up the hammock system, or holding your beer, cell phone, wallet, valuables, or accessories.
- Durable materials, with high strength and low weight, allowing one or two occupants to enjoy for years to come
- Multiple color options: Outdoor Green, Royal Blue, Black, Race Car Red
- Lay-flat design is more like a bed than a typical hammock, allowing you to sleep more easily
- High tension suspension webbing along each side easily supports the occupant’s weight, using the unique shape of the hammock to allow adjustment to the curvature of your body
- Low tension hammock sheet made of rip-stop nylon reduces sheet tension, enhancing durability and compliance with each occupants’ unique curves while keeping the stress concentrations low. Your lower back/lumbar are flexibly supported and your knees are not stressed
- Quick set-up and tear down, with a simplified design integrating key features and no need to tie or untie knots
- The open design allows you to see out, talk, and enjoy any cool breezes – great for warm climates, and socializing
- High tension 1½” webbing wraps around each side and end of the nylon sheet (top and bottom) for strength and durability
- High strength cross member poles and couplers made of durable materials; pultruded fiberglass for the base model and aerospace quality aluminum (6061-T6) for the low weight model
- Double and triple stitched sewing with high tension thread using commercial grade sewing machines for strength and durability
- Injection molded end caps with fiber reinforcement for strength
- Our timeline shows the detailed events that led to our "ah-hah" moment
- We realized that lying flat is the best way to get a good night’s sleep!
- And to get a flat hammock, we considered the design of suspension bridges, like the Golden Gate bridge, and applied a similar concept
- High tension suspension webbing along each side to provide support
- High strength rip-stop nylon draped side-to-side between the suspension webbing to support your body with minimal tension, allowing the best compliance with your bodies natural curves
- We know everybody’s body is different so we designed adjustable cross braces that let you dial in the perfect combination for your body and preference
- Variable hammock end separation using adjustable end cross member lengths, to allow user selectable adjustment of the ends (head and foot end) sag versus the center sag, to modify the long axis curvature up or down
- We also noticed other hammocks have excess fabric that block out the view of your surroundings. To fix this, we cut away all excess fabric and use the spreader bars to open the hammock up so you can see out easily and enjoy your surroundings
- Other hammocks lack lumbar and under the knee support, which is crucial to having good sleeping posture, so we incorporated the high stress webbing with the lightly loaded nylon sheet that will comply to the natural curve of your body while on your back, side, or stomach
- We want to bring this product to the market so any and all adventurers can use it. And we want to include your guidance on preferences like pocket sizes, placements, color combinations, and features.
- Here is a photo of one of the prototype pockets suitable for an easy to find phone pouch. But do you want to hold an iPad too? Or need waterproof pouches, or shoe holders, or glasses, or food sized containers, or beer cans or bottles? And where would you like them placed? Become a backer/sponsor and you will have the opportunity to guide us in these decisions through the use of backer surveys we will send out.
- We designed the prototype “Ultimate Sleeper Hammock” in America and will keep the ongoing refinements and design and assembly in America as well
- Due to Kickstarter’s amazing community, we are offering our sponsors a reward of the “Ultimate Sleeper Hammock” in various configurations at a discounted reward amount for your generous support and sponsorship, as well as your guidance and support of refinements during the completion of the project, using backers input on the prototype design to improve it
- While our design is a premium item due to the high strength materials used, we want our hammock reasonably priced so it is affordable to everyone
- Our video and pictures shows some early prototypes, showing we were able to confirm the key technical challenge of making a flat hammock and giving us a baseline to show to help you understand this is truly a revolutionary and creative hammock design that is new to the world and offers a truly flat sleeping hammock.
- This initial baseline capability will be supplemented with additional design of features, dimensions and placement refinements (pocket sizes and placement, color options, sealed vs. open quick access pockets, etc.) based on an interactive process with our backers by using backer surveys and posts to communicate our Kickstarter backer communities votes and choices, and our decisions and progress.
- Prototype Hammock with integral end straps and quick adjustment rings, cross member tubes, and 12’ tree attachment straps
- Patent pending adjustment rings integrated for simplicity, weight reduction and quick setup
- Adjustable cross member poles for curvature adjustment, made from precision high strength fiberglass (base model) or aerospace aluminum alloy (light weight model)
- Easy and quick installation of cross members using integral end caps with retainers (soon to be injection molded with your help!)
- 1 ½”wide webbing wraps around all exposed edges of fabric sheet and is stitched through with a straight and zig-zag stitch. Do you like color coordinated thread on the webbing to match the nylon fabric? Or do you prefer just black thread? You will have a chance to help make this decision as part of one of our backers surveys!
- Get ready to fall asleep in a truly lay-flat hammock!
- 8’ long hammock sheet for even the tallest of users
- 15’ set up length (typical), plus two 12’ tree attachment straps for flexibility in site selection
- 3-4 pound total system weight (Basic Model)
- 2-3 pound total system weight (Lightweight Model)
- 15” long x 7” diameter carry bag with all parts included
- 400 pound rated at up to 2g acceleration, with an added margin of safety
We need $25,000 to help us get started, the minimum quantity necessary for efficient manufacturing. The following section shows our use of these funds and our projected budget in making a preliminary batch of 250 units of our Ultimate Sleeper Hammock.
We have obtained preliminary quotes on the raw materials, molds, and estimated labor hours and rates and determined a baseline budget for this project. The above pie chart totals just under $25,000 ($24,760) and is the basis for our request for an initial funding amount for that much. This first batch won't make much profit, but it will cover our costs and get us Kickstarted! An initial production volume of 250 units is the starting point where manufacturing starts to become efficient, and sales volumes above this level will make the manufacturing more efficient due to buying in bulk, and more efficient manufacturing processes and shipping. This is another reason why we need the Kickstarter community, to help us obtain an initial batch production that is efficient, allowing us to ramp up volume and increase efficiency. If we run into any capital limitations, we are willing to invest an additional $10,000 of our own funds to make sure we can fulfill all orders.
If our funding on Kickstarter hits more than our funding goal, we plan to add more stretch goal options that sponsors can consider and add to or include in their purchase, based on a total Kickstarter sales amount. We will solicit sponsors feedback on what to offer based on backer surveys prior to making offers, so our backers can help select the options they want. We will also prototype and show the items offered prior to making the formal stretch goal option offers. We want to include our backer community in the selection, design, and overall project lifecycle process.
- We Guarantee Delivery, or your money back
- 1 year Warranty against manufacturing defects
- We will provide weekly (or sometimes more often) updates for all sponsors
- We commit to providing an additional $10,000 capital out of our pocket if necessary to make sure we can fulfill all orders placed by our Kickstarter backers.
Risks and challenges
We have made several prototypes to help show our new concept, and convince our backers that we can make a revolutionary new quality hammock. But we are not done, and some risks remain during the final design, refinements and transition to manufacturing phases. Some of the main risks are as follows:
Cost Control - Our hammock design is more expensive to make due to the high strength materials used, making it a premium design. We have obtained quotes and projections on cost elements, but some risk remains. We have built in a modest risk mitigation budget, and will contribute extra capital if necessary, and will also optimize the design and manufacturing further to control cost.
Insufficient Capital - If we run into cost over-runs we are willing to provide up to $10,000 additional funds to make sure we can complete all rewards and fulfill all commitments
Manufacturing Delays - Since we will buying in bulk we may run into supply scheduling problems that we can not fully anticipate at this time. If this occurs, some or all of our shipments could be delayed. We will be sure to ship out to our backers in the order they place their order, so the early birds get the first shipments!
Minor Changes to Dimensions and Specifications - The final dimensions, features and placements will be determined in the final engineering design, and manufacturing steps as a part of this Kickstarter project process. It is possible some dimensions could change slightly, but we will notify all sponsors as we go so they are aware and can comment as necessary.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Environmental commitmentsVisit our Environmental Resources Center to learn how Kickstarter encourages sustainable practices.
- (60 days)