OUR PROJECT IS COMPLETE VISIT
Please visit www.backbottle.com to order
Innovation through frustration…
I am, to put it simply, insanely passionate about cycling. I love all aspects of the sport and I especially love coming up with ways to make my ride just a little bit better.
In my years as a cyclist I have completed plenty of long rides and sometimes find two bottles to be insufficient. This was the main focus of the BackBottle.
I am not trying to replace my bottles and cages. I don't want to bolt extra stuff to my bike and I will not wear a hydration pack. I needed a new strategy for extra hydration on long rides.
The BackBottle is a minimalist solution that even a maximalist could love. The BackBottle essentially combines a bottle AND a hydration pack. The BackBottle solved my problem of wanting additional, accessible water on longer rides.
As the design progressed, I realized that I was not alone in my thoughts. It turns out long routes are not the only rides where the BackBottle shines.
The BackBottle could have improved my ride while:
- racing cyclocross and being told “NO HAND UPS - AUTOMATIC DQ”
- riding shorter mountain bike rides and races
- trying and failing to get bottles or slowing down at support stations
- not wanting to use drink mix in hydration packs (N-A-S-T-Y!)
- avoiding asking your +1 "Will you sit on the road for a few hours and give me a bottle when I speed past?"
I designed it to do these things really well with no compromises.
- Fit comfortably in a back of a cycling jersey pocket
- Allow quick entry/exit and easy access while riding
- Stay in the pocket and not eject unexpectedly
The BackBottle technical specs:
- 18 ounces of capacity
- 3 ounces in weight when empty
- 8.5 inches long and 3 inches wide
- 53mm diameter opening (easy to add ice)
- wedged and ergonomic for easy one-hand operation
- manufactured from squeezable LDPE plastic
- made from recyclable components (packaging #3, bottle #4, cap #5)
- 100% BPA free
- 100% Made in the USA
- flat against the back to minimize roll
- raised ribs on the back are shaped to allow airflow
- top-shelf dishwasher safe
Benefits of the BackBottle
With the BackBottle you can GO ALL OUT!
- ride long-don't plan your day route based on refills
- take a drink from your jersey pocket as quickly as a regular cage
- stay aero longer and avoid slowing down for refills in triathlons
- keep riding - don't click-clack through gas stations with your bike outside waiting to be stolen, just keep hammering
- allows your eyes to stay on the road
- be your own support team (or support a teammate)
- reduce your waste by not buying refills on the road
- freeze the bottle and enjoy a cool drink while keeping your core cool
This is not my first Kickstarter and not my first product for dedicated cyclists. I created a product in 2013 called, Fix It Sticks, a totally unique design for a bicycle multi tool. When I had the idea for Fix It Sticks, I thought, “Maybe someone else has that same problem". Then we went on to complete two successful Kickstarter campaigns. Both were delivered on time and drama free.
I have stretched and paid in advance for the tooling and the production in order to make 100% sure I can deliver on this product.
This campaign is a way to quickly pay back the mold and initial order costs. Those expenses, for a tiny garage-based business like mine, are MASSIVE.
If the bottle does well, I can explore improvements like paying for my own lid mold (no one makes a bite/pressure valve cap in 53mm). Or moving to an insulated design. But first I need to see if anyone likes the concept of combining a bottle with a hydration pack.
The bottle will have an estimated MSRP of $12 at retail, but for Kickstarter backers I am offering a discount for the first bottle and providing bulk discounts as quantities go up.
I don’t like stretch goals or early bird specials - I don't like to treat my backers differently. I like you all the same, no matter when you find our campaign.
All USA backers ship for free! (intl shipping available for $9 per order)
1 bottle = $10
2 bottles = $18 (save $2.00)
MEGA DEAL - BUY 3 GET 1 FREE = $30 (save $10)
The Sticker: Meant to be placed where the seat tube meets the frame, it provides an area to record your measurements. If the post slips, you can get back to riding comfortably. Everyone gets a seat sticker!
The Fortunes: The Fortune Teller special is LIMITED to 30 backers. These lucky backers will craft a unique fortune to be distributed with the rewards. Every backer gets a fortune!
The BackBottle is not for everyone and it's not the only way to accomplish solving my original problems, but it is a very affordable alternative to try.
THIS IS THE END MY FRIEND.
Visit www.backbottle.com to order!
Risks and challenges
Risks and challenges:
Not many (I know everyone says that. I am however 2 for 2 on delivering on my Kickstarters).
I paid for the tooling($$$), the bottles, lids and packaging. I have confirmed 100% that the BackBottle functions as intended. I am certain you will get this product and you will get on time.
The point of this Kickstarter is about recouping those costs as quickly as possible for my little business. The amount I have wrapped up in this idea is significant to my business. I need your help to get the tooling ($$$) and initial orders paid back as quickly as possible so I can start creating more cool stuff for the cycling nut jobs in the world like me.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)