About this project
Our campaign is complete as of 7:00pm central standard time on 4-8-14, but it's not too late!
Fix It Sticks bike tools are available here: www.fixitsticks.com
Fix It Sticks manufacturers among the highest reviewed bicycle multi tools.
1 Campaign, 2 New Products
The Fix It Sticks Replaceable Edition and
The Fix It Sticks T-Way Wrench
Fix It Sticks-the only tools that are functional AND portable.
A little over a year ago I launched my first Kickstarter for Fix It Sticks Bicycle Multi Tool. I delivered on time. We have collected over 125 customer reviews on our website www.fixitsticks.com
Over 50 articles/reviews about Fix It Sticks offer high praise of our bicycle tools. Outside, Bicycling, Decline, Peloton, Road Bike Action, Velonews, Pez Cycling, Prolly, Fat Cyclist, Gizmag and many more including two extremely rare 5/5 reviews from Mountain Bike Action Magazine and TriRig.com offering a mountain and roadie perspective.
UPDATE>>>NOW WE EVEN HAVE EARLY REVIEWS OF THE REPLACEABLE EDITIONS:
Now I am back with two totally different designs and a plan to get them to you BEFORE summer riding.
The Fix It Sticks Replaceable Edition and an all-new design we call the T-Way Wrench.
Fix It Sticks Replaceable Edition
The Fix It Sticks Replaceable Edition offers unmatched strength, versatility, portability and functionality. Fix It Sticks unique design allows for a shop experience on the road AND at home.
Making this tool correctly required some new thinking. Most replaceable bit screwdrivers aren’t excellent. The Fix It Sticks Replaceable Edition performs better due to:
- Neodymium magnets for superior grab, reducing left behind bits
- Made in the USA with tight tolerances
- Innovation inside and out
Here is a cut-away prototype followed by my original sketch sent to my engineer.
The Fix It Sticks Replaceable Edition will be constructed of steel for toughness (aluminum does not work for removable bits). Two sticks and 4 bits come in at ~115g.
A set (2 sticks) ships with 8 bits (hex in 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, Phillips #2 & Torx 25). However, virtually any bit will work in our system. Fix It Sticks Replaceable Edition allows you to work on your motorcycle, boat, car, skis, snowboards, bow, gun or general household repairs with a single tool system that also travels well.
Whatever your need, there is likely a bit that will work and you don't have to buy it from me.
Each set also includes a sewn, recycled inner tube pouch, a clear plastic tube that houses the 4 additional bits. All rewards above $10 will get a Fix It Sticks seat post sticker.
The Fix It Sticks T-Way Wrench
The T-Way Wrench is permanently secured in the T-shape for those who want a true shop tool experience. It will save you money, time and space.
The T-Way Wrench offers replaceable bits on all 3 ends. Two short sides allow for amazing leverage. The long end provides exceptional reach. Torque or access, its your choice.
The T-Way Wrench weighs around 115 grams. This is a home/shop/trunk tool that allows you to build bikes, furniture, motorcycles, ect ect ect.
We are including 7 bits total for the T-Way Wrench. This design also works with any ¼ bit on the market.
Fix It Sticks Replaceables are made in the USA from super strong 4140 steel (CroMoly). Both tools pictured in silver are covered in a nickel coating to resist rust and abrasions as much as possible. Machined and assembled in Appleton, WI. All components of our packaging and assembly are sourced locally with the exception of the bits and magnets. Powder coating and plating is done locally too.
Designed to wrap around your seat post, it offers a place for the rider to write STACK and REACH measurements. Reference your STACK and REACH measurements to ensure you get things back on track if your post slips. If you don't know stack & reach, it's still a cool sticker.
Our designs provide more function for the space and dollar. If you travel for races, drive to the trailhead, provide ride/race support or just want to slim down your tools for any reason either tool will offer you a saving of space and money.
All Fix It Sticks tools are tough, versatile, compact and highly functional.
Fix It Sticks is re-imaging wrenches. Please join this garage entrepreneur in making these new tools come to life.
Please share this campaign with friends who share your passion.
P.S. If you still prefer the lightest weight, no moving parts and zero chance of lost bits, check out the original Fix It Sticks in aluminum at www.fixitsticks.com
What do you need the money for?
The initial launch on Kickstarter was wonderful and allowing those same backers early access to our latest development was a large motivation to return to Kickstarter. But I also need more money to keep growing and innovating. Starting a manufacturing company is expensive!
- Tooling - The replaceable tools call for new tooling for both production and assembly. Hundreds of prototypes of each version have been built by hand, but having the right tooling will help tremendously.
- Custom magnets - The best way to buy magnets is in very large quantities. The campaign also gives some idea of the demand. The magnets do come from overseas.
- Bit orders-Getting bits from overseas requires a pretty hefty commitment and this campaign will assist in securing a larger order of bits. We do have a pretty good supply of bits on hand already though.
- Packaging-I would like to offer a better overall packaging solution and need funds to get assistance in that world.
If we can hit $14,000, I will have no problem introducing this product and meeting demand. The flip side is important to think about too. Can I deliver if the campaign hit $140,000? The answer is YES, I just hire more help.
Bottomline…If you buy it, we’ll make it. Just like last time, I fully intend on meeting my timeline or beating it.
Order of events:
1. During campaign-Start producing pouches for the Fix It Sticks Replaceable Edition in advance of the campaign ending and assembling bit sets with our current on-hand stock.
2. After campaign-Pay for bits, packaging, production/assembly tooling and magnets with orders that are appropriate to the scale of demand.
3. Delivering rewards-Bits will take the longest 4-6 weeks (we do have some on hand to get started) also magnets take 2-3 weeks, pouches will be in hand and the tool bodies themselves are a 4-week (worst case) turn-around since they are made here in Appleton, WI. We will order these items prior to the campaign ending.
Thus, we are giving ourselves 8 weeks for delivery, but I am certainly hoping to beat that and believe strongly we will.
Thanks for riding with Fix It Sticks.
I hope to ride with you soon.
Risks and challenges
My last project delivered on-time. I expect the same this time.
However, even the best laid plans face challenges. I cannot conceive of a scenario that would prevent me from delivering, but I guess most KS projects say that.
At this point we are making prototypes by hand and if the worst/best case scenario is that I have to do that process thousands of times in order to deliver to my KS backers, then so be it.
Many Kickstarter projects are challenged due to overseas manufacturing and we DO NOT HAVE THAT PROBLEM!
Our ability to adapt and overcome is greatly enhanced by having nearly everything produced within 5 miles of my house in Appleton, WI.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
From the top flat to the bottom of a 1 inch tool bit in the tool it is 4.75 inches, so to the bottom of the hex cross member would be 4.25 inches.
steel+thirst+dash of get tough=open bottle
The silver looking ones are actually coated in Nickel, using an electrolytic method. They are plenty tough and should resist corrosion. The powder coating options will see the color added over the top of the nickel finish to provide 2 layers of protection essentially.
It is held in with an o-ring above and below the spinner. It is designed to be removed easily or adjusted. So there is no machined in "spot" for it.
The powder coating and the spinner could be an issue...I am getting a T-Way painted and will report those results in the comments section as soon as I know.
Will the spinner be painted on the powder coated options...No. then it would create an interference issue for sure. Also, I think having some color contrast on the spinner is nice. The spinner is a raw piece of aluminum by the way.
2 simple ways to accomplish this.
1. Get longer bits of course
2. It would be possible to use a Fix It Stick as an extension as well. So you could use a 6mm hex bit included in all sets, then insert the bottom of that into the long shaft of the T-Way Wrench, then insert the other side of the 6mm into the "top" of a Fix It Stick Replaceable Edition and then put your working bit in the bottom of that stick. This would give 6.75 inches of reach without the working bit in.
Support this project
- (33 days)