Hey, we're Beckah and Jill, the creators of Magical Boy Basil, and we want to get a print copy of Issue #4 into your hands!
Magical Boy Basil is an LGBT+ webcomic about undercover teenage magicians who fight monsters. (In order to maintain the balance of the universe, of course.) It's an ongoing series split into chapters, available to read online at www.magicalboybasil.com.
Issue #4 – "Play Ball!" features the fourth chapter of Basil's story. In this issue, a mischievous little baseball monster follows Basil to school. The creature might just be there for fun, but when Aaon Serge (lead magician and Basil's first crush) discovers there's a monster on the loose, Basil turns toward an unlikely ally for help.
Is that a talking platypus-?
We created Magical Boy Basil because we believe seeing LGBT+ characters in positive lead roles makes a difference in the world. Basil is the kind of protagonist we need more of in media today. He's empathetic, tenacious and kind but still just a kid trying to navigate real world problems and anxieties--all, most importantly, from a queer perspective.
Magical Boy Basil is full of humor and magical mishaps, but the heart of Basil's story is rooted in the truly human obstacles we all face. Whether it's standing up for others when no one else will or getting into trouble way over his head, Basil takes us through these challenges and works his way out. He never gives up.
We want to bring Issue #4 to print so that Magical Boy Basil can continue its positive impact on readers. Webcomics are a wonderful, highly-accessible medium, but holding a comic book in your hands makes the story real. The unique experience of reading comic books lead us to create Magical Boy Basil as a comic in the first place, so we hope to bring it full circle and get Magical Boy Basil into your hands!
This print run of Issue #4 features 3 different covers: an original Basil cover, an Aaron variant cover, and a Kickstarter Exclusive variant cover. Issue #4 contains 24 pages of full-color story and 4 pages of never-before-seen extra comics in the back!
This Kickstarter also funds a foil print,a woven iron-on patch, and tons of artwork and cameo appearances. All of these awesome creations (and more) are available in the reward tiers!
We currently offer two optional Add-on Rewards for this Kickstarter:
- At PDF only tier, there's a +$10 optional Add-On reward to include the PDF for issues #1, #2, and #3 as well.
- At all physical rewards tiers, there's a +$20 optional Add-On reward to include issues #1, #2, and #3 in PDF and hard copy!
Issue #4 Cover Art
- $6,000 - If we hit this goal, we'll create a Magical Boy Basil zine, a short spin-off story featuring characters selected by our Kickstarter backers! (That could be you!) A copy of the zine will be added to all physical rewards.
Risks and challenges
All of the story art for Issue #4 is complete and a printer has been lined up to take the job as soon as this Kickstarter is funded, but some of the remaining artwork is still in progress:
* Our foil print will be produced while the Kickstarter is underway.
* Inside sketches, character sketch art, and commissions will be produced when the comic books arrive in September.
* In the event we reach the stretch goal, zine artwork will be produced after the project funds come through. This should not affect delivery dates.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)