Music: "Avientu" by Jahzzar
Hey, we're Beckah and Jill, the creators of Magical Boy Basil, and we want to get a print copy of Issue #2 into your hands!
Magical Boy Basil is an LGBT webcomic about undercover teenage magicians who fight monsters. (In order to maintain the balance of the universe, of course.) It's an ongoing series split into chapters, available to read online at www.magicalboybasil.com.
Issue #2 - "A Place Like Tanglewood" features the second chapter of Basil's story. In this issue, Basil explores the mystery behind Tanglewood Manor and the equally as mysterious boy who used to live there. (Oh my!)
We created Magical Boy Basil because we believe that LGBT+ characters can inspire readers. We believe LGBT+ leads can drive their own magical adventures and overcome the worst that life throws at them. Magical Boy Basil is full of humor and magical mishaps, but the heart of Basil's story is rooted in the obstacles we all face. Whether it's standing up for what's right when no one else will or getting into trouble way over his head, Basil takes us there and works his way out. He never gives up.
We want to bring Issue #2 to print so that Magical Boy Basil can continue its positive impact on readers. Webcomics are a wonderful, highly-accessible medium, but holding a comic book in your hands makes the story real. The unique experience of reading comic books lead us to create Magical Boy Basil as a comic in the first place, so we hope to bring it full circle and get Magical Boy Basil into your hands!
This print run of Issue #2 features 3 different covers: an original cover, a variant cover, and a Kickstarter Exclusive variant cover. Issue #2 contains 30 pages of full color story!
This Kickstarter also funds a reversible foldout poster and a set of 3 stickers. All of these awesome creations (and more) are available in the reward tiers!
We currently offer two optional Add-on Rewards for this Kickstarter:
- At the $5 PDF only tier, there's a +$5 optional Add-On reward to include the PDF for issue #1 as well.
- At all physical rewards tiers, there's a +$20 optional Add-On reward to include an Issue #1 Collector's Pack, which includes the issue #1 PDF, an issue #1 comic book (your choice of cover) signed by the creators with an inside sketch by MBB illustrator Rebeckah Murray, as well as the issue #1 reversible foldout poster!
Issue #2 Cover Art
We're producing the cover art throughout the course of this Kickstarter. Check back soon for updates!
This Kickstarter ships anywhere in the world!
Magical Boy Basil is created in the United States, so there is a flat $5 shipping cost within the U.S. and a $15 shipping cost to all other countries.
Chapter #2 is an extra-long chapter, featuring 30 pages of story content. Our Kickstarter will cover the cost of printing this issue, but we would love, love, love to add concept art goodies in the back.
If we can reach $6,000 of funding (hey, Issue #1 did!), we'll add 4 pages of concept art extras in the back of the book, bringing our total print size to 36 pages + covers!
We unlocked another stretch goal! At $6,500 of funding, we'll be able to create a set of 4 buttons and add them to every physical rewards package!
Risks and challenges
All of the story art for Issue #2 is complete and a printer has been lined up to take the job as soon as this Kickstarter is funded, but some of the remaining artwork is still in progress:
* Chapter 2 is undergoing some color tweaking so that it looks its best in print. This clean-up process will be complete by the end of this Kickstarter.
* Beckah is producing the cover art for Issue #2 during this Kickstarter and it will be ready for print by the end of August. Stay tuned for updates!
* Our set of 3 stickers and full color commissions will be produced while the comic book is at the printer during September and October.
* Inside sketches and character sketch art will be produced when the comic books arrive in November.
All of this means that you can expect a delivery date for physical rewards in December! Stay tuned for regular updates through Kickstarter and social media.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)