About this project
THE FOURTH COLLECTION!
This is Fire & Bone's fourth collection. With the addition of these eight amazing new species we now carry more than 35 different animal skulls! You can see and purchase all of our previous collections here.
MINIATURE SKULLS DIRECT FROM NATURE
Fire & Bone makes tiny, true-to-life, animal skull reproductions derived from high-resolution 3D scans of original specimens, carefully miniaturized in a digital process, then cast in metal using traditional techniques. Each skull can be worn or displayed on their optional wood collectors base.
This is our fourth Kickstarter collection and we’re adding eight new species, including several of the animals that are most frequently requested by our backers. We’re also introducing an amazing new way to collect and display our incredibly detailed skulls and we've got two great new non-skull (!) pendants.
Like us, our incredible backers are passionate naturalists, miniature collectors, and animal lovers and we hope you get as big a kick at seeing and holding these tiny new skulls as we do.
THE NEW COLLECTION
This collection contains some of the most frequently backer-requested animals and we’re very excited to finally add them our collection: The White-Tailed Deer, with its awesome antlers, and the American Alligator, Wolverine, and Coyote, each with articulated jaws.
The clever Raccoon, the stoic Musk Ox, the wily Goat, and the elegant Sacred Ibis round out the collection.
DEER ANTLER & COYOTE CLAW PENDANTS!
We’re expanding our product range with two new necklaces; a White-Tailed Deer ANTLER and a Coyote CLAW. Both were produced using the same high-resolution process as our skulls and they possess the same level of natural detail.
NEW DESKTOP DISPLAY SKULLS!
For the first time ever, we’re turning the WOLVERINE, the MERINO RAM, and the GRAY WOLF into larger 3D printed display skulls that will make an incredible addition to any home museum. They measure about THREE INCHES in length and are available in bleached bone WHITE or matte BLACK.
3D SCANNING & MINIATURIZATION
Our process begins by digitally scanning real animal skulls. We work with a company that uses a proprietary 3D scanning process to digitally capture animal skulls in very high detail. We are thrilled with the level of detail we get from this method, which isn't possible with consumer-level 3D scanners.
We scale the piece down to a size suitable for collection or jewelry. Because we do this digitally and not manually, we retain an unprecedented amount of detail from the original skull.
To make the final pieces, we reproduce the miniature model in wax with a professional level high-resolution 3D printer. With our wax model we make a master mold which allows us to cast the skulls in any metal using traditional lost-wax casting. We work with a family owned foundry in the U.S. with decades of experience producing large production runs of small delicate pieces.
***If you'd like to pledge for multiple reward tiers, simply add up the total amount to cover each reward that you would like (be sure to add the appropriate shipping amount if it is an international order). Then, pledge the total amount, select just one reward, and contact us to let us know which additional rewards you are pledging for. We’ll keep track on our end and make sure you get everything you would like!***
FIRE & BONE AND KICKSTARTER
In putting together this fourth collection, we recognized what an amazing community Kickstarter has been for us. We get to test demand for new skulls, and we have a great platform for communicating with fans. If this campaign is successful, we will be able to keep acquiring more hard-to-get skulls for our collection and building this project together with you.
Even though we have made some great steps since we first launched – we now sell Fire & Bone through a couple world famous science museums, which is mind-blowingly cool – we are still primarily three guys who do this as a passion. Kickstarter lets us find people who share that passion.
Here are a few of the nice things people have said about our tiny animal skulls:
• "My bear skull with the cool articulated jaw just arrived! Exquisite! One of my favorite Kickstarter projects so far." - Nancy J.
• "Just got my Roe Deer and Black Bear in the mail...you guys have absolutely outdone yourselves! They exceeded all of my expectations - I cannot wait to wear such an interesting piece of jewelry. Anyone who's looking around and thinking about buying any of Fire & Bone's pieces, go for it! You will not be disappointed!" - Jennifer C.
• "I received my skulls and I just wanted to say that I'm still impressed every time I look at them. The quality is commendable - for something so small, the detail is incredible. They make a wonderful talking-piece displayed on the little stands I received with them." - Jake D.
• "My sabertooth cat arrived today. Completely, absolutely unequivocally love love love it & the fact it's from a real skull just makes it incredibly special! Thank you so much!" - Rebecca M.
• "These are gorgeous and unique pieces. I got my girlfriend a bear's skull from the first run and she absolutely loved it. I highly recommend this great project." - Gian D.
• "Just wanted to say how amazing my jaguar skull is! Thank you!" - Emma L.
• "If anyone here doesn't have one of these. Get one! They are amazing. Thank you so much for the Dire Wolf. I can't wait to be able to order more." - Alex K.
• "Have it. Love it! I wear it all the time and always get compliments on it." - Acacia S.
• "I’ve got their lion, grey wolf, and a gemsbok from their last KickStarter. They’re beautiful pieces." - @canisdemachina
• I have the croc and the jaguar and they are both incredibly beautiful! I'm in love! - @fancyunicornparty
We couldn't do this without you. Let us know what you think in the comments, and keep those skull suggestions coming!
-Jason, Chris, & Matt (and Taco)
(Our thanks to our friends at LAUNCHPACK for their help with this campaign!)
Risks and challenges
There can be production challenges associated with any manufacturing project (delays, equipment failure, theft, etc.), but we've been through this before and have a lot of confidence in our ability to fulfill this campaign in a timely fashion. We have built a strong working relationship with our foundry and are supremely confident in their ability to meet any level of demand.
Another unique challenge for us is that molds wear out over time. We have a lot of experience in jewelry design and metal casting, and we know how to plan for this.
As many people have discovered, 3D scanning, design, and printing all require expertise. We are veteran users of these technologies and have worked in many high-stress situations to develop great products. Fire & Bone is not just a passion for us, it’s totally in our wheelhouse.
Last, it's important to bear in mind the difficulty of getting access to more specimens for future castings - we definitely need your help to have a chance to scan more of these specimens.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (35 days)