About this project
UPDATE: A huge thanks to everyone who pledged to fund Syzygryd's FIRE! Because of you we will build twenty-four flame effects along Syzygryd's arms, a large central propane "poofer", and of course the fire vortex that will twist its way out of the central cube tornado. This also means that we're releasing a whole bunch of designs, documentation, and diagrams for how various parts of Syzygryd are being built.
But we don't want to stop there! Even though we've passed our pledge goal, you can still contribute money to this project, and you can still get awesome pledge rewards! There is no upper limit to the amount we can raise on Kickstarter.
- For each additional $83 we can double the output of our flame effects for one hour at Burning Man 2010. Our current propane budget covers 4 hours per night for 6 nights with infrequent firing. Only $332 to double the fire every night!
- For every additional $250 pledged, we can purchase a locally sourced, Burner-created controller board to sequence the light and fire. We need 15 of these controllers (total of $3750) for full computerized control over the lights and fire.
Thanks again for everyone's contributions! If you'd like to be even more involved in this project, contact email@example.com to find out how!
Syzygryd is a soaring metal sculpture measuring 60 ft in diameter and 13 feet high, spiraling out to three touchscreen-operated controllers that anyone can use to dynamically compose music. The interface is intuitive and visual, allowing anyone from a 5 year old to a 105 year old to become a musician. The sculpture itself consists of three curving metal “arms” which spiral towards the center of the space into a tornado of increasingly larger and larger aluminum cubes. The cubes are lit from within by 1.5 kilowatts of LEDs, and the lights are sequenced to the music as it is created. The entire sculpture responds to how you play it!
We need your help to fund Syzygryd's FIRE! We have almost ten years of experience building safe and beautiful fire art, and we are excited to add sequenced flame effects to Syzygryd. The fire will rise up from the top of the center of the sculpture, culminating in a 10 to 20 ft tall fire tornado.
The funding from this kickstarter will pay for propane fuel (LPG) hose, fittings, fuel regulators, solenoid valves, hot surface ignitors, custom CNC'ed stainless steel parts for the fire tornado, a water tank to keep our propane tanks warm and pressurized, and some of the propane required to run this project for six nights at Burning Man this August. Anything beyond our goal means more fuel for the fire!
Photo by Tom Cavnar
Regardless of the success of this Kickstarter, we will be releasing:
* Open-source collaborative grid sequencer in processing
* CC licensed sets of sounds for Ableton Live
If this Kickstarter is successful, we will also publicly release:
* Open-hardware fire tornado designs, including detailed CAD and DXFs ready for CNC cutting
* Flame effects ignition documentation, including HSI use and monitoring
* Detailed fuel system diagrams with explanations
* Omnigraffle & Illustrator templates for flame effect fuel system diagrams
* Spreadsheets and equations for propane fuel system design
* Free ignition systems workshop taught at BM10
* Free fire vortex salon w/ current tech presentation at BM10
Photo by Ed Hunsinger
Syzygryd is an honorarium project for Burning Man 2010, and we have been partially funded by the Burning Man Organization. We are very grateful for the funding we have already received, but our grant does not cover the entire project - we need your help to raise the remainder of the project budget and bring Syzygryd to fiery, musical life!
Support this project
- (55 days)