"Finding Our Way" is a feature length documentary giving a behind-the-scenes look at the work of Thistle Farms and the stories of the women who make up this community.
- LENGTH: 60-90 minutes
- SCHEDULE: Filming 2019 + 2020
- RELEASE: Nashville Film Festival (Oct 2020)
ABOUT THE FILM
Finding Our Way will provide a platform for women to share their stories. Through each story, the viewer will also become familiar with Thistle Farms, the history of the organization, best practices developed over the years and the unique challenges the organization faces.
This documentary will be a collection of stories from women taking the next steps towards growth and change in recovery. It’s set in the midst of an organization confronted with growth and change itself, especially when there is no model to look to for guidance. What does it look like to grapple with fear, hope and love in a community where tomorrow is unknown?
Finding Our Way is also an invitation to dream about ways we can transform our communities and how we each have a role to play in that process.
** This documentary is being made by Northman Creative in partnership with Thistle Farms. All contributions will go to Northman Creative for the creation of this film and are not tax-deductible.
- Share Thistle Farms unique perspective and work with the world
- Illuminate the roots of systemic injustice that Thistle Farms confronts and heals
- Serve as a guide for other organizations
- Invite viewers to be a part of the solution
JOINING THE CIRCLE
Everyday at Thistle Farms a small circle is formed around a candle that is lit as a symbolic light for the next woman who’s trying to find her way home.
My hope is that the investment made in creating this project will exponentially grow Thistle Farms' audience and its ability to be a force for healing and change in Nashville and beyond.
I hope you’ll join us.
- Ryan Camp, Northman Creative
ABOUT THISTLE FARMS
Located in Nashville, TN, Thistle Farms has 3 main focuses:
- safe & supportive housing
- meaningful jobs
- a lifelong sisterhood of support
Since 1997, Thistle Farms has been developing a free, holistic recovery model that creates generational change, one woman at a time. Since 1997, over 300 women have graduated with an 88.5% success rate 2 years post-graduation.
On average Thistle Farms saves Tennessee over $800,000 a year and its two-year program costs less than incarcerating a woman for the same amount of time. As the largest social enterprise run by survivors in the US, Thistle Farms is a model for over 35 sister organizations across the country and has built global partnerships empowering and employing women in Rwanda, Mexico, and Greece.
Northman Creative is a video production company that has been creating content for Thistle Farms since 2014. The documentary will be made independently and is not a Thistle Farms initiative but will be made in partnership with an executive team of survivor leaders who will help guide and shape the story. The executive team includes:
- Dorris Walker-Taylor - Director of Events (2012 graduate)
- Katrina Robertson - National Sales Director (2008 graduate)
- Shelia McClain - Director of Education and Outreach (2007 graduate)
- Regina Mullins - Entrepreneur (1999 graduate)
“Finding Our Way” will be directed and produced by Ryan Camp, the founder of Northman Creative. All proceeds will go towards the production, post-production and release of this project.
- Carolyn Snell - Artist and Tour Manager
- Rondal Richardson - The Community Foundation
- Sarah VanHooser Suiter - Ph.D., Community Research and Action, Vanderbilt
- Heather Davis - Former TF Director of Development and Community Engagement
- Justin McIntosh - VP, Creative & Marketing, Reba McEntire
- Kelsey Davis - Curator for Emerging Communities w/ Episcopal Diocese of El Camino Real
Risks and challenges
While the vision of this documentary is in place, what will unfold over the next 6-12 months is unknown. Because of this, the documentary is not on a strict timeline and won't be rushed at the expense of the final project. The goal is a release date of fall 2020, but that is subject to change.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)