Film's first voice in underground and independent film returns as a quarterly magazine available in digital, print and mobile editions!
IMPORTANT JUNE 11, 2011 UPDATE:
After much debate, we're shutting down this crowdfunding campaign to focus on its identical counterpart over at IndieGoGo (http://bit.ly/jLJfUh). If you've found your way to this project, and would like support or contribute, please do so at IndieGoGo.
ORIGINAL CAMPAIGN PITCH
Film Threat was founded over 25 years ago. From the beginning, Film Threat magazine dominated the print landscape as the source for conversation about independent and underground cinema. In 1997, the print era ended and Film Threat magazine focused its sights on the world wide web; FilmThreat.com was born. Since then, the website has continued the tradition set forth by the magazine; a lone voice shouting into the void of mainstream media, reminding the world that there is more to film than summer blockbusters and celebrity gossip. Alone... until now...
With your support, Film Threat will be returning as a magazine in 2011!
Why a magazine? Why not just stick with a website? Because there is an erratic collection of transient, ever-fluctuating, film websites requiring short attention spans to digest spliced information that is easily forgotten mere seconds after consuming. A magazine is a measured, engaged, focus on a topic of importance; a snapshot in time and a document of history that can be viewed and appreciated within its own historical context. Just as the old Film Threat magazine serves as a record of the careers of Richard Linklater, Quentin Tarantino and Kevin Smith as they occurred and were contextually framed, so too will the Film Threat magazine of today. It will provide a reference and history of our current filmmaking climate to the filmmakers and film aficionados of the future. There is value in our past; sometimes you need to use new technology to rediscover, enhance, and improve upon that which came before. We can provide meaningful content for those who appreciate independent and underground film; we will extend what and how we cover this world beyond the website.
Starting September 2011, in addition to the daily content available on FilmThreat.com, the new Film Threat magazine will be released as a quarterly, publishing each Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer, in both digital and print editions, and will include even more in-depth coverage on independent film, film festivals and the art of filmmaking. The digital edition will be available online at FilmThreat.com and as part of the new Film Threat app, optimized for iPhone, iPad, Android devices, Kindle, Nook and whatever technology comes along. The print edition will be available as print-on-demand, home delivery subscription and in very select retail outlets.
Film Threat Magazine returns this year, but we need your help:
In order to design, create and develop a year's worth of magazines (four issues) for both digital and print editions, as well as finish development on the Film Threat app, we need to raise $30,000 (or more). The money will cover all aspects of magazine creation, including payment to our team of writers for the magazine's content. Many other business are doing their best to stop paying their writers; we're trying our best to pay them more.
Please support the Return of Film Threat Magazine (in its various forms) today by pledging money to our campaign, and spread the word to anyone you know who loves movies, makes movies or even just wants something a little different than what is already out there.
Be Different, Be a Rebel, BE A...
PRESS AND OTHER MEDIA:
- "Detroit-Bred Movie Magazine Seeks a Return to Print" - Interview with 101.9 FM WDET in Detroit about the return of Film Threat magazine
- "Film Threat was the mag I was reading when I became a filmmaker..." - Quote from filmmaker Kevin Smith during Plus One Per Diem on Tuesday, May 17, 2011
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
- The Return of Film Threat Magazine - An extended explanation and FAQ about Film Threat's crowdfunding campaigns on Kickstarter and IndieGoGo
- Crowdfunding with Film Threat - a blog about Film Threat's crowdfunding campaigns on Kickstarter and IndieGoGo
- @FilmThreat on Twitter - Daily info and updates from Film Threat's owner and publisher Mark Bell
- Film Threat on Facebook - Friend, 'Like' and read daily info and updates from Film Threat
- Film Threat Podcast on Stitcher and iTunes - Listen weekly as Film Threat owner Mark Bell and contributing editor Don Lewis discuss a variety of topics concerning filmmaking, film festivals and the film community
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.