About this project
- Giving a voice to Baltimore’s voiceless through coverage of the workers at the Sparrows Point steel mill and residents of impoverished neighborhoods in one of America’s poorest cities.
- Holding city and other officials accountable by reporting on deals with favored contractors, tax breaks for big political contributors and regulatory concessions to major industries.
- Creating a forum for city planners and visionaries to re-imagine Baltimore, helping ensure that in the future it can provide the jobs and neighborhoods its residents need – without resorting to tax gimmicks and giveaways.
Now we want to expand the Brew’s coverage of the city’s spending practices and tax breaks, to make sure Baltimore uses its scarce resources for programs that benefit its people and not the politically-connected. And we want to make the Brew sustainable by tapping new income streams and eventually paying salaries. We plan to do this by:
- Expanding coverage to include online video and podcasts.
- Creating more interactive features with readers.
- Publishing special food, culture and lifestyle pages.
- Expanding school and neighborhood coverage.
So far, we’ve kept the Brew percolating with tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of donated time. With a bare-bones budget, we’ve broken stories, shaped the civic conversation and modeled a new kind of local media.
MEREDITH MITCHELL, the Brew's director of business development, is a founding member of Baltimore Bicycle Works, a cooperatively-run bike shop in Baltimore where she continues to work. Meredith brings to the Brew a Masters in Communication Studies from West Virginia University and work experience doing marketing and fundraising for Catholic Charities of Baltimore. Mitchell grew up in Towson, but for the last eight years has called Hampden her home.
How KickStarter Works:
If we don't make our goal by our deadline, your credit card doesn't get charged and we get zip, zilch, nada!
If you appreciate what we work so hard to bring you every day, if you want more, better Brew, support us today!
Fern, Mark, Meredith, Ben and the whole Brew Crew
PS: Thanks and a huge shout-out to Rebecca Yenawine and her amazing team at New Lens, the folks who produced our nifty video. Check out the great work they're doing making art, media and new career paths for city youth.
Yep, from $1 on up. We recommend "on up!"
You are welcome to use a pseudonym or simply write "Anonymous" as your username.
We (the brew) see you email addresses upon project success, but they won't be public. We need your email addresses to be able to contact you about your pledge gifts, but otherwise will not use your email addresses.
Support this project
- (45 days)