Skyteboard™ 3G is a beautiful quadcopter. Style. Portability. Performance. Designed by IDEO with 3G cellular, WiFi, and 1 lb payload. Read more
This project's funding goal was
About this project
Skyteboard™ 3G is the world's first Internet enabled quadcopter meaning that it communicates altitude and position over the web. The Skyteboard 3G is controlled with an iOS or Android device through a centralized neighborhood social network, Fatdoor.com.
Fatdoor.com was originally a venture backed company in 2007 that was funded by a CEO of PayPal, and professors in the Stanford University Computer Science department including Dr. Hector Garcia-Molina (Oracle board member) and Dr. Rajiv Motwani, one of the first investors in Google and faculty advisor to Sergey Brin and Larry Page. The assets of the original Fatdoor sold to Google in 2011. The current Fatdoor is a self-funded restart with the same name with the original CEO.
What does it mean that the Skyteboard 3G is controlled by the Fatdoor social network?
It means that multiple friends who are physically near each other and connected through the Fatdoor social network will be able to do things never before possible with their mobile phones and tablets, such as "fly together" through formation flights, and do amazing coordinated activities, such as mirror each others flights and record events from multiple angles.
The Skyteboard 3G features onboard 3G cellular, WiFi, and a payload capacity of 1 lbs. This allows you to add a GoPro Hero 3 Camera to compliment the Skyteboard 3G’s impressive internal Full HD camera, enabling two cameras on the single quadcopter. We hope to achieve a flight time of up to 15 minutes (and extended with an extra capacity battery). In addition, attachments to the Skyteboard 3G can be made with a 3D printer of your own, so you can design a payload extension that meets your wishes.
With foldable bottom rotors, the Skyteboard 3G is comparable in size to a skateboard, and is easily transported when not in use. It is designed in collaboration with one of the world's best design agencies, IDEO in Palo Alto.
We have already built functional prototypes of the Skyteboard 3G. The Skyteboard currently works via radio frequency control (RC), but we already have an iOS and Android app for the social network built (available now on iTunes and Google Play) for our social network. We also now have the Skyteboard coordinating with our mobile app over WiFi, and are about 2 weeks away from having the Skyteboard prototype communicating both its position and altitude with our backend database via 3G. We have a world class team from the world's leading institutions for aeronautics and robotics from Stanford, NASA, and U.C. Berkeley, complemented by experienced social networking software developers with a track record of creating amazing products such as Cafe Press and Trademarkia.
With more than sixty patents pending worldwide, the Skyteboard 3G is defining a new class of socially networked aerial vehicles. The Skyteboard 3G has a whole new shape and function - one that is designed to inspire users to think differently about safe and friendly neighborhood interactions and flights in the air. Please help us make the Skyteboard a reality by donating to our campaign today! Thank you!
Risks and challenges
To achieve the beauty of the Skyteboard™ 3G, there is a large fixed cost due to molding and tooling costs to create our unique shape. However, this requires us to incur significant fixed costs before we manufacture even a single mass produced Skyteboard 3G in tooling, machining, and molds. After these fixed costs, variable costs are the same as other comparable quadcopters. We will not compromise on the aesthetics of the Skyteboard 3G. For this reason, we have a goal of $300,000 in this Kickstarter campaign before we are ready to start selling Skyteboard 3Gs.
We also are working hard toward optimizing our design to increase battery life as much as possible, while accommodating additional weight and payload capacity.
This being said, the Skyteboard 3G is already built and being tested in low quantities in Palo Alto. We are working diligently on building amazing software to control, stabilize, and perform coordinated activities with friends with the Skyteboard 3G.
The Fatdoor social networking apps are downloadable now for iOS and Android, and we have a team that can execute. What we need is your support so that we can order molds and make Skyteboard 3G a product loved by thousands (not just a few of us!).
To appreciate the risks fully, please understand that Risks include:
1. Physical shape of Skyteboard 3G may change a bit for robustness and structural integrity of folding frame, aerodynamics and maneuverability. We commit to keeping general spirit shape of prototype the same this being said.
2. Software and communication systems are being developed and tested now, and control algorithms need further refinement. The Skyteboard currently works via radio frequency control (RC), but we already have an iOS and Android app for the social network built (available now on iTunes and Google Play) for our social network. We also now have the Skyteboard talking with our mobile app over WiFi, and are about 2 weeks away of having the Skyteboard prototype communicating position and altitude with our backend database through 3G.
3. FAA and regulatory rules and changes may affect the Skyteboard 3G in unforeseen ways.
4. Skyteboard 3G's final weight will affect payload capacity, we are trying to optimize for 1lb payload, may be slightly more or less. We are designing and committing to an ability to carry a GoPro Hero 3 camera in addition to the inboard camera.
5. We need to further optimize battery constraints. Battery time will vary based on that. We are committing to 10 minutes, but trying to achieve 15 min or higher.
6. Design, development, and usability testing of Skyteboard 3G control apps need further engineering, and this is being done now.
7. We are doing our best to achieve a November 2014 delivery date for the Skyteboard 3G so that our backers can receive one before Christmas this year. We may be delayed for between 3 to 6 months afterward depending on regulatory, manufacturing, and design delays.
In summary, we have a team that can execute, but there are risks to our project. We are trying to change the world by tackling very big problems and opportunities. We want our backers to fully and transparently understand and appreciate these risks, and only invest in us when they do.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Skyteboard T-Shirt. Free membership to the Fatdoor neighborhood social network + Fatdoor Connect broadcasting with Skyteboard.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Scale table-top model of the Skyteboard 3G designed for Fatdoor by IDEO. Free membership to the Fatdoor neighborhood social network + Fatdoor Connect broadcasting with Skyteboard.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
One Skyteboard 3G quadcopter : WiFi and 3G (basic plan), GPS, onboard HD camera, iPhone and Andriod app included. Free membership to the Fatdoor neighborhood social network + Fatdoor Connect broadcasting with Skyteboard.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
One Skyteboard 3G quadcopter : WiFi and 3G (basic plan), GPS, onboard HD camera, GoPro Hero3 second camera with mounting, iPhone and Android app included. Free membership to the Fatdoor neighborhood social network + Fatdoor Connect broadcasting with Skyteboard.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
- (60 days)