Iran Through Books 2017 at LA Times Festival of Books!
Help bring Iran through books to the LA Times Festival of Books at USC.
Farhang Foundation aims to promote Iranian art, culture & literature to the community at large. This two-day, free to public festival will help us give presence to Iranian books as well as books about Iran & books by Iranian authors. The event will be built around one central theme - celebrating books & promoting reading as a gateway to bring harmony and understanding to our diverse community in Los Angeles and Southern California. This year, we’re excited to announce that we will have books offered for recommended donation amounts to our visitors.
Did you know:
- Farhang Foundation started bringing “Iran Through Books” to Los Angeles Festival of books, starting in 2015. The effort was backed by people like yourself, who helped fund the event through a similar kickstarter campaign the last two years. We are excited to get ready for our third year at the festival this year. Please see our kickstarter campaigns for previous years at 2015 link and 2016 link.
- The Los Angeles Times Festival of Books is an annual program honoring the best of the world publishing community since 1996.
- The Los Angeles Times Festival of Books is the largest book festival in the country, attracting more than 150,000 book lovers each year.
- We will be hosting authors during both days of the festival to present their books and engage with their audience. They will offer their books, hold various presentations and workshops and most importantly, sign copies of their work.
- Similar to the previous years, the full list of authors will be announced over the next two weeks on this campaign. So watch closely!
- We will have books for you to flip through just like last years. What's new is that now you can take your favorite books home for a small recommended donation. The full list can be found below:
- Children's books: "Amoo Norooz and Other Persian Folk Stories"
- Children's books: "Rostam, Battle with the Deevs (Tales from the Shahnameh)"
- Children's books: "Rostam: Search for the King (Shahnameh, Persian Book of Kings)"
- Children's books: "The New Year's Goldfish: A Nowruz Story"
- Children's books: "Babak and Friends - A First Norooz"
- Fiction: "My Uncle Napoleon: A Novel"
- Fiction: "The Pomegranate Lady and Her Sons: Selected Stories "
- Fiction: "Women Without Men: A Novel of Modern Iran"
- Fiction: "Chicken with Plums"
- Cooking: "Pomegranates and Roses: My Persian Family Recipes"
- Cooking: "Joon: Persian Cooking Made Simple"
- Cooking: "Food of Life: Ancient Persian and Modern Iranian Cooking and Ceremonies"
- Autobiography: "Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return (Pantheon Graphic Novels)"
- Autobiography: "Funny in Farsi: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America"
- Autobiography: "Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood (Pantheon Graphic Novels)"
- Poetry: "The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám: Illustrated Collector's Edition"
- Poetry: "Sin: Selected Poems of Forugh Farrokhzad translation"
- Cinema: "A Social History of Iranian Cinema, Volume 1: The Artisanal Era, 1897-194"
- Cinema: "A Social History of Iranian Cinema, Volume 2: The Industrializing Years, 1941–1978"
- Cinema: "A Social History of Iranian Cinema, Volume 3: The Islamicate Period, 1978–1984"
And if you wonder whether there will be any surprises at the booth, we are glad you asked! - Farhang Foundation will give away tote bags, mugs and t-shirts to the first visitors to our booth (while supplies last).
This kickstarter event and all the work that goes into giving Iranian culture and literature its fair share at the Festival would be the outcome of contribution of many volunteers, organizers and supporters. Here is a list of challenges we see ahead:
* Raising sufficient funds to make the project possible
* Creating an attractive and interesting space to entice festival attendees to visit and engage with our booth
* Ensuring high quality of books on display to properly represent the richness of Persian literature, the beauty of Iran and the diversity of its authors, artists and architects
* Offering a diverse selection of topics and works to satisfy the literary taste of everyone in our audience
* Inviting celebrated authors to the festival on both days to interact with the attendees, to enrich their encounter and give them an opportunity to meet and converse with such literary figures