TAKE CONTROL OF THE WORLD
You were probably thinking that, with only 4 days to go, we should be done with announcements and partnerships... still need to know us a little more uh?
I'm going to talk about something very important, for few reasons:
- one more development platform integrated with the smARtBUS Open I/O, in less than 3 weeks
- it's a totally new concept of tools to be used to create the Internet of the things
- is probably the world's cheapest and easiest solution that allows to integrate remote features based on Internet in your projects
- we are one of the only two company in the world to fully support this technology and, for your reference, the first is Sparkfun, the market leader (and a big company with over 130 people of staff)
With this update we announce the full support of:
Many of you probably don't know yet this innovative product, so I will spend few minutes to give you an idea of how powerful it is.
The Imp is a very small device, using the same size and format of an SD card but is not a memory card. Inside this incredible small package you can find so much technology that's almost unbelievable, including a WiFi network card and a Cortex-M3 microcontroller.
Incredible, right? These are the features of Electric Imp:
- Super Small Form Factor
- WEP, WPA and WPA2 encryption
- Cortex-M3 core gives great performance combined with low power consumption
- 6 I/O - UARTs, I2C, SPI, analog in and out, PWMs, GPIOs... all selectable under software control
- No SDK to install, no JTAG pods, no long download times... you develop your code in a browser-based IDE
- Software that runs on the Imp is written in Squirrel, a C-like language
- Data passes to and from the service over a TLS encrypted interface
Why this product is cool?
Electric Imp connect to the Internet using WiFi and is totally controlled and integrated from the Cloud.
When you first open the package, all what you need to do is to download an App on your smartphone. The app for iOS is available for free on Apple's App Store and the one for Android can be found in the Play Store. With the app you can configure all the parameters to be used to access the Internet, including the login and password for the WiFi.
This done, your Imp is online and can connect to the Cloud server. Every Imp in the world has an unique ID so can be identified easily. The ID is not in the card but on the device that use it, so a card can be moved from a device to another one and will get the new ID.
When the card is online, all the programming functions are managed online, using a web based IDE. You can select what kind of functions the card should implement, write the code and all will be programmed into the card from the server, totally transparent for you.
What can we do with the Imp?
An incredible quantity of different things. Let's make an example: You can have two systems communicating over the internet, all up and running in less than 30 minutes!
All what you need is two Imp cards and the WiFi available in the two locations you want to connect. Then you will manage the settings online and all will be programmed to the devices automatically.
Electric Imp with smARtDUINO
Electric Imp connect to the physical world using control boards, named Impee.
We designed the smARtHOST IMPEE that allows to plug Electric Imp on the smARtBUS Open I/O and interact with all the other components.
The Imp can become a smARtCORE and use the 6 GPIOs to communicate with other boards. For example can work over the PSI or the I2C and control LCDs or Memory cards.
The Imp can also share the resources with another smARtCORE. For example a smARtCORE U, L or Z, can read multiple analog and digital or analog I/Os and transfer the data to the Imp, that will share over the internet. Or, another example, you can use two Imps to control from remote motors or relays.
Do you need more information?
You can check the Electric Imp's official website:
You can also find useful information and a lot of examples on the wiki:
How can you get the Imp?
From your personal page, of course!
The Electric Imp is already available to all our backers. We prepared two packages, for 1 and 2 Imps, that include the card and the smARtHOST IMPEE.
The price is very competitive, only 29$ for the single pack and 55$ for the double, that include 2 Imps plus 2 smARtHOST IMPEE!!!
This is a rare opportunity, because other sellers offer the Electric Imp at 30US$ not including any adapter and shipment!
The smARtHOST IMPEE is also available separated, for who already have the Imp.
The Electric Imp will be also available from our distribution channel smARtMAKER, with stock in all the warehouses in Asia, Europe and USA.