The Minimalist Deck: Helvetica is an ultra-modern deck of 56 playing cards printed on Bicycle paper by the US Playing Card Company.
As a modern design junkie and typophile, I have never found a deck of cards that fit with my personal design aesthetic. I wanted something that felt simple yet lush, clean but purposeful. When I couldn't find it, I decided to create it. This is The Minimalist Deck.
As a designer, recreating something as classic and timeless as a deck of Bicycle playing cards is both an incredible challenge and extremely rewarding. I pondered multiple combinations of fonts and glyphs before ultimately deciding on this combination. Then I changed my mind.
I went back and forth, switching between serif and sans-serif fonts, before finally giving in and designing not just this deck, but four decks of cards to make up The Minimalist Collection. Helvetica is the first in the series, and the goal of this Kickstarter is to produce 5000 decks. Once they are gone, they won't be recreated, and it's on to the next in the series.
Each deck of Bicycle playing cards contains 56 cards: 52 playing cards, 2 Jokers, and 2 gaff or ad cards.
- $12 gets you a deck, as long as it's one of the first 250.
- $15 gets you a deck as well, even if you aren't one of the first 250.
- $20 gets you a deck of cards and a signed and numbered art print of the Ace of Spades.
- $25 gets you two decks. Poker is much faster with two decks. I'm just saying...
- $30 gets you two decks, plus the signed and numbered art print of the Ace of Spades.
- $35 gets you a deck and a t-shirt. The shirt is super soft.
- $40 gets you three decks of cards.
- $45 gets you two decks and a t-shirt. Represent with pride!
- $50 gets you one deck of cards and an uncut sheet of Helvetica: The MInimalist Deck, straight from the USPCC factory. There are only 50 of these, and they'll be hand-signed and numbered. This is probably the one my mom will buy.
- $75 gets you six decks of cards. They make cool gifts for your friends.
- $100 gets the art print of the Minimalist Deck, seen below. This measures 40" x 21" and all cards are printed to scale. These will only be printed for this run on Kickstarter, and never again. These will be signed and numbered, and a limited run of 25. You'll also get one deck to accompany the print.
- $150 gets you a brick of cards (in layman's terms, this is 12 decks).
- $500 puts your name on one of the gaff cards. There is only room for five names. You'll also get 12 decks.
Where the Money Goes
The pledges from this project go towards printing and creating this one-of-a-kind deck of cards. The USPCC has all the files, everything has been approved, and they are ready to start printing. At this point, all we need is you to help make this happen.
The goal is to have everything shipped out by May. I need about two months to get everything turned around. I also happen to be getting married in May, so there is a slim chance that the decks won't be shipped until June. It all depends on how the wedding planning is coming along. :)
There are additional fees associated with each reward for international shipping. Please be sure to add these to your pledge if you live outside the USA.
I honestly can't thank you enough, even for just reading to this point. Seeing a tangible item come to life from my design is an absolute dream come true. Thank you for your support and for helping to make this happen.
Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/minimalistdeck
Risks and challenges
I don't foresee any real challenges at this point. The deck has been fully designed and on standby to be printed at the USPCC. All designs have been approved by the USPCC.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (40 days)