About this project
nanoSPARK Featured in:
Introducing the nanoSPARK!
Exotac is back. Just two years ago, you backed our fireSLEEVE. You helped us turn an ordinary BIC lighter into an elite piece of outdoor survival gear. Today, we need your help to introduce our latest firestarter: the Exotac nanoSPARK.
Being able to start a fire is crucial in any survival situation. The nanoSPARK easily generates sparks. Designed to function with one hand, aim the nanoSPARK towards your tinder and spin the flint wheel to ignite it. At times, finding viable tinder may be somewhat difficult. Conveniently, the nanoSPARK features a built-in tinder storage capsule. The capsule also has room for an additional flint or two. The nanoSPARK capsule is waterproof and keeps the tinder dry. If the flint wheel gets wet, a few strong blows will clear off the standing water and it's ready to light!
We have engineered the nanoSPARK to perform exceptionally in nearly all circumstances. Its design has been through a rigorous testing and redesign cycle to ensure it exceeds your expectations. The sparker feels smooth yet solid in hand thanks to its all metal CNC machined construction. The flint contained within the nanoSPARK is completely replaceable. The nanoSPARK is built for the long run. The Exotac nanoSPARK stands ready for a survival situation or your next rugged adventure.
Here at Exotac, we are committed to perfecting the art of firecrafting through engineered product designs. Our company was founded in 2009 by Rob, a Purdue Engineering Graduate extremely passionate about not only the outdoors but quality in design and manufacturing. From our humble beginnings, we have moved from his basement to our new manufacturing facility located just outside of Atlanta, Georgia. Our passion for creating super sleek and highly functional designs has fueled our continued growth. Engineering has always been at the core of our business. Today, our roots remain unchanged. We are Exotac.
- Lightweight (0.6oz) self-contained firestarter
- Waterproof tinder storage capsule
- Low friction brass flint wheel pivot design
- Easily replaceable flints (use Exotac flints for best performance but Zippo flints work as well).
- CNC machined aluminum ultimate durability
- Attachment point ideal for a lanyard or keychain
- Each nanoSPARK comes with 5 pieces of quickLIGHT tinder
- Patent Pending design
- Made in the USA
On the move?
The nanoSPARK is both ultra-compact and lightweight. It will fit perfectly in a backpack slot or in your pant pocket. There is a single attachment point for anyone concerned about losing the unit. Also the sparker is available in eye-catching colors. Try not to lose your sparker. It is portable and ready to go along, take your nanoSPARK with you.
CNC Machined Aluminum
Sleek. Elegant. Functional. A platform built from aluminum ensures that the nanoSPARK is completely sturdy yet lightweight. CNC machinery accurately cuts the aluminum into a very precise shape. The anodized aluminum looks and feels good.
You need your firestarter to work when you need it. That is why the nanoSPARK was designed to be waterproof. In the rain or if the sparker was dropped in water, the nanoSPARK will still generate sparks after a few strong blows to clear the standing water from the flint wheel. The tinder storage capsule is protected by a tight seal. The stored tinder will be 100% dry and available to use.
Every nanoSPARK comes with fives pieces of quickLIGHT tinder. QuickLIGHT is specially treated cotton designed to be waterproof and provide sufficient burn time to start a fire. QuickLIGHT fits perfectly into the tinder tray located within the nanoSPARK. Fluff the end of the quickLIGHT tab to increase its surface area. Then direct sparks towards the tinder to light it.
A sparker becomes useless once the flint runs out. We take pride in saying that the nanoSPARK was designed for the long haul. When the sparks start to diminish, change the existing flint with a new replacement unit.
Self Contained Flint Storage
For the adventurer who is constantly thinking one step ahead, this feature is for you. The storage capsule can hold one piece of quickLIGHT tinder and up to five replacement flint units. The additional flints fit perfectly under the tinder tray within the capsule. Since the nanoSPARK is 100% waterproof, any tinder and replacement flints stored inside the capsule will stay dry.
Made in the USA
Two years ago we launched our first kickstarter project and not much has changed. We still proudly manufacture and assemble all of our products in the United States. Our facility is in Winder, Georgia. That is exactly where our nanoSPARK is pieced together and comes to life. Our team is able to deliver the highest quality firestarter equipment because we manufacture and inspect all of our products first hand.
Where we are Going?
We will follow the forecasted production schedule as closely as possible. Any changes to this schedule will be announced via project updates. This is the life of the Exotac nanoSPARK for the upcoming months:
Late-April: Ready. Set. Go! The launch of our nanoSPARK kickstarter campaign. We have already begun production of the Aluminum parts. We will finish the CNC machining in April.
May: We will finalize the packaging design and start production of the packaging. The nanoSPARK will be anodized and enter the initial assembly stages.
June: We expect to receive packaging in Early June. We will finish assembly of the nanoSPARK and begin packaging them. We will start sending shipments before month-end.
July: Our team is thankful for all of your support. We will have all orders shipped by the end of July.
Note: each nanoSPARK includes 5 pieces of quickLIGHT tinder.
If any additional quickLIGHT tinder package(s) are included with the reward level, it will be stated in the reward description.
"Early Birds" take Flight
The trendsetters. The first comers. Our early birds. Reward limited to the first 175 backers.
(1) nanoSPARK in Blaze Orange
The "Right Color" matters
What is the perfect nanoSPARK color to match your gear? You pick the color.
(1) nanoSPARK -Pick between Orange, Olive, Gunmetal, or Black
The "Double" Pack
The pack for any backer who needs two. Gift one away and keep the other nanoSPARK for yourself. Or keep both nanoSPARKs. It's your call.
(2) nanoSPARK units -You decide the color combination
(2) Packages of quickLIGHT tinder (Each quickLIGHT package includes 12 pieces)
"Better in 3's" Pack
You know what they say: "Three is company". Throw one in your pack, put one in your vehicle emergency kit, and give one to a friend. Spark on!
(3) nanoSPARK units -You decide the color combination
(3) Packages of quickLIGHT tinder (Each quickLIGHT package includes 12 pieces)
The "Sparker Prep" Pack
Preparation. What makes you more prepared than a set of 4 nanoSPARKs?
(4) nanoSPARK units -one sparker of each color
(4) Packages of quickLIGHT tinder (Each quickLIGHT package includes 12 pieces)
Risks and challenges
There are always risks involved with the start of any new product. This is our second kickstarter project and our 7th machined product. With our nanoSPARK we identified areas that could become problematic and worked those bugs out pre-Kickstarter. We understand there may be other uncertainties later on with this project. Our team intends to address all troublesome areas with our customers’ satisfaction at the forefront. The following list identifies potential risks that will delay fulfillment:
1) While we have an excellent anodizer who we've worked with for years, coloration and finish is very subjective. Receiving product that doesn't meet our quality standards will need to be reworked. We have had zero rework in the last 12 months.
2) Assembly: This product has some tight tolerance areas that we quality check during machining. If some product slipped through that doesn't meet tolerance, it would delay us.
3) Packaging: We are finalizing packaging designs now for both the nanoSPARK and quickLIGHT. The packaging lead time is primarily dependant on our vendor and their production schedule. Further, if we are unhappy with the product we receive from them we would need to rerun the print job. In the years we've been using this commercial printer, we've only ever had one quality problem that impacted our business. We have since rectified the source of the problem with the printer.
4) General vendor issues: We purchase the spring, the tinder tray and several other parts from other vendors who specialize in their respective product manufacturing. If some of these parts are not to our engineered specification, they will need to be remanufactured causing delays.
In summary, there are always risks to projects both large and small by companies large and small. The nanoSPARK manufacturing is at the core of our competency and follows a manufacturing process that we have perfected over the last 4 years. We are an established company with a reputation to uphold by not only delivering product on time but also a product that exceeds expectations!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (28 days)