Stars and Stones Indeed!
BACKERS! Weekends are supposed to be soft, underperforming days in a Kickstarter campaign! Instead, you pledged over 30,000 additional dollars over the weekend! You should sit and think about what you've done, backers! Are you proud of yourself?!
... You frakking well should be!
Amazing! As of this writing we've knocked a few bucks off of shipping for everyone, with more digital art unlocks close at hand, and new exclusives approaching for our backers. We aren't even done with our first week yet (that's at midnight tonight). This is a golden time—we're enjoying the hell out of it!
So. This is a long update, but I don't want to make you read a bunch of stuff unless you feel you must, so here's the short version of what I'm gonna get into below.
- I'm demoing DFCO in Austin, Texas this week! Come see me at Wonko's on Wednesday evening and Dragon's Lair on Saturday afternoon.
- Eric Vogel has been testing the swap-in cards for Susan's deck — our five-star stretch goal — and early signs are promising.
- We're revealing some stones and adding new stones too to the Circle of Gratitude!
- ★★★★ NEW STONE! Vary Harry, Verily: Two swap-in cards for Harry's deck when we reach our four-star stretch goal: Whispers of Lasciel and Cheesy Costume! (We've added a second new stone for a Dresden Files character deck to the circle as well, but we're keeping which character a mystery for now until we're satisfied with the play-testing.)
- ★★★★★★★ STONE REVEALED! World's Fieriest: Sentinels of the Multiverse Hero RA crosses over and goes full urban fantasy with an exclusive playable Hero deck for DFCO, designed by me (Fred Hicks) with Eric Vogel's supervision, when we reach our seven-star stretch. For those times when one fire-slinging mystical badass isn't enough!
- ★★★★★★★★★★ STONE REVEALED! When we reach our final ten-star stretch in the Circle of Gratitude, you'll unlock an exclusive benefit for backers, delivered when the campaign ends in mid-May: an early preview of the first chapter of Peace Talks — the next novel of the Dresden Files!
Got your attention? Well, read on, then!
I'm going to be visiting Austin (Texas) later this week as part of an anniversary trip with my wife! But while I'm there I'm going to have a couple opportunities to demo the game.
Wednesday evening, I'll be at Wonko's Toys & Games in Austin as part of their board game night. I'll have four or so prototypes with me, so I should be able to run multiple simultaneous demos without much trouble, assuming there are tables enough for the action.
Saturday afternoon, I'll be at Dragon's Lair Austin for International Tabletop Day. I'll be there from 2pm to 7:30pm or so, with my demo window scheduled for 4pm-6pm. As with any ITTD it's gonna be a busy time, but 2 hours is still a nice window to get several games played.
Hope to see our Austin-based backers at one of these! I love demoing this game and I extra love seeing people get hooked. And you will be! It's a consistent response to actually getting the cards on the table. But don't take my word for it.
Is all this talk of printing and playing mystifying you? Wondering where to get the files to do that? It's covered in Update #1: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilhat/the-dresden-files-cooperative-card-game/posts/1551446
Stars & Stones & Statussesses
Next, let's talk a bit more about what's in the Circle of Gratitude — and reveal a few new stones while we're at it.
Eric is hard at work making sure the variant cards for Susan's deck test well. It's looking pretty solid, based on initial findings:
But that's not all...
New Stone! Two Swap-Ins for Harry's Deck at Four Stars!
We're adding a couple new stones to the Circle.
First up, at FOUR stars, we'll provide two variant swap-in cards for Harry's deck with each backer copy of DFCO (including copies for our retailer backers) :
- Whispers of Lasciel - Park the Blue Beetle on a side-street and pick up this new Overcome card that also lets Harry discard a card to draw a card. Are you willing to risk a silver price to for a chance to improve your (burnt?) hand?
- Cheesy Costume - Swap out Harry's shield bracelet (Riffletum!) for a Take Advantage featuring new custom art from Tyler Walpole — Harry donning the cheesy vampire costume he wore to the Red Court Masquerade! (Implementation pending some testing.)
Seven-Star Stone Revealed!
A Sun God From the Multiverse Crosses Over!
Sometimes, even with a fire-throwing wizard in your squad, you still don't have enough fire to burn all the monsters down. So we put out a call to our friends at Greater Than Games, publishers of the Sentinels of the Multiverse cooperative card game.
Personally I'm a huge fan of Sentinels, from the gameplay to the packaging. In fact I took some cues from their package design when I was figuring out how we'd want to do our own, with deck dividers and space aplenty for expansions. Plus their company's run by some of the friendliest folks in the business! It seemed only natural that we should team up at some point.
And now we will, with the seven-star stone! When funded, I will personally (with Eric Vogel's supervision) design a playable hero deck for the Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game based on an urban fantasy version of the Sentinels of the Multiverse fire-throwing hero Ra.
When funded, we'll ship one of these decks with every backer copy (true for retailer-backers too)! No added charge (this is not an add-on, it's a thank-you).
FINAL Ten-Star Stone Revealed!
James Gets His Wish!
So, early in the campaign (wait—it's still early; um, EARLIER), we got this comment.
James — and the rest of you — you're on! We figured it wouldn't hurt to ask Jim if this was possible and, well...
When the campaign reaches its tenth star at $375k, unlocking the final stone, you'll unlock a new exclusive benefit.
Right after the campaign ends in mid-May, in a special, backers-only post, we'll post the first chapter of the next Dresden Files novel, Peace Talks. (THANK YOU, JIM!!!)
And with that, that's it for today.
And man, what a doozy of a day ... weekend ... week ... campaign we're having! Thank you so much for carrying us so far in such a small amount of time. We can't wait to see more of these goals, so we can continue to say THANK YOU in bigger, better, brighter, burning-er ways. (Plus steadily reduced shipping rates.)
So let's shoot for the stars, folks! I'll see you next in Austin, or when I return from my trip next week. (Ah, who's kidding who here—probably also online all throughout the week, because I can't quit you!)