Brief Fate Accessories Status Update for April
Hi there! You haven't been hearing much. Backerkit isn't launched yet. We've launched another Kickstarter for a RPG.
It would be easy to think that that means we're not doing anything about this project, but that's not the case! It's simply that there isn't much to report. But, that doesn't mean there's nothing to report.
Here's what's happened, and what's happening, and what will happen:
- 50% downpayment on the runs + 100% up front payment on the tooling has been paid out to the manufacturer.
- Most of what we need to do during this period is wait for the various items that you funded to work their way through the multi-month manufacturing process.
- Tooling samples of the Accelerated Core dice have been approved. These have been fastest on the manufacturing timeline, so they're the leading edge. By "tooling samples" it means I got another look at dice made fresh from our preexisting mold and confirmed that they are turning out as expected. They are!
- We're not yet to that point with the layered dice — that mold exists, but since it's a separate factory, they also need to put together the tooling & such that will be used for the packaging of these, and they operate on different timetables and assumptions than our original/primary dice supplier does.
- The mold for the Fate Points needs to be made. That's underway, and since it's the only mold that didn't previously exist, will probably be the slowest part of this process. Once that's done I'll need to see samples, confirm that the samples are what we asked for, and greenlight their manufacture, then get (likely) another round of samples from the actual production run, and confirm that they and all the packaging designs are being produced as desired.
- Once all of that stuff above is past all the checkpoints and hurdles necessary to be able to confirm an overall delivery timeframe to our warehouse in the USA, that's when the manufacturer's timeline will go from "speculative" to "largely certain."
- Knowing the "largely certain" timeline for delivery to our warehouse in the USA is necessary before we can establish our own timeline for shipping out the rewards.
- Once we know when we'll be shipping, that is when it'll be the best time for us to set up and provide the BackerKit to you. Past experience with multiple KSes has shown us that it's critical that we tell people a delivery timeframe that's solid before they start giving us their shipping information, so they (you) can be clear with us about where they'll be at the time the stuff's actually due to be showing up.
So, that's why no BackerKit yet. It's too early.
And that's also why not much activity or posting from me either — because the only stuff to show so far is stuff you've already seen.
I'll strive for monthly updates about how things are going in the interim, and I appreciate any nudges y'all want to throw my way if it gets to early-to-mid May and I haven't posted yet. :)
Thanks as always for your support, and if you have any questions, ask!