Step Into the De-confusionator!
Folks, we're doing great! We've entered the "hour by hour count down" time period -- the final 72 hours of the campaign (61 now). We've only got about $44,000 to make it to Dresden Files Accelerated, and we're sure to see a number of new backers and current backers coming by trying to figure out their pledges... That means it's time to address some questions one last time! Let's get to it.
This Kickstarter is Huge! How do I Figure It All Out?
Welcome! This update is for you. Here's what we'll cover:
- I want to figure out how much I need to pledge! How can I do this quickly?
- I've already pledged! How do I change it?
- How will Evil Hat know what I'm pledging for if I add upgrades?
- What are the digital rewards of this project? How can I get them? What about Fate Core and Fate Accelerated?
- What are the print products I can pledge for in this project? How can I get them? When will they ship? Can I get them after the kickstarter is over?
- What can I download and preview right now?
- What eventually-in-print products have been funded for this project, and why can't I order them through this Kickstarter?
- What happens after the kickstarter ends? Will I get to see previews of [thing that isn't written yet]? What if I need to change my address after I've already given it to you?
- Can I pledge more than I have to, just because I think this is awesome?
This is long, but we promise you we've wasted no words here. If you're only interested in one of those questions above, scroll down and look for the appropriate header!
First Things First: Calculating Your Pledge
(If there's a TL;DR section, it's this one. Everything else past this digs into the details of the other questions above. But you may want to look at the Digital Rewards and Physical Rewards sections too.)
The Backer Pledge Calculation Spreadsheet is your friend. Just download a copy, open it up, and follow the instructions to figure out the total dollar amount to pledge and reward tier to select. Here's the download link.
We also have some helpful graphics on the front page that can help. The Big Blue Box breaks down the process of figuring out all this too, but the spreadsheet does the math for you.
I've Already Pledged! How Do I Change It?
Look in the upper right corner on any page of the project for the big green "Manage Your Pledge" button. Click that, state your new dollar amount up top, and select the qualifying reward tier that that dollar amount covers.
If you're just adding more money for more books on top of your existing reward selection you should be able to leave your selected reward as-is.
It's important to keep multiple shipments in mind if you're getting more than a single book. A single shipment (the default for any multi-book pledge) means that you won't get any of your books shipped to you until they're all available (and for some titles that won’t be until nearly the end of 2013).
Check the indications on the spreadsheet for which books are shipping when (you can also figure that out by looking at estimated delivery dates on the reward tiers, but the spreadsheet is easier; we'll also cover dates later in this post).
For example, if you're going for all the print products with a SEXTET pledge, you might be happiest by adding two additional shipments, to split your books up into "early", "middle", and "late" parts of the year.
We're still working out exactly how we want to ask people in the post-campaign-conclusion survey about how they want their shipments split up; we're likely to ask for which "rule" you want us to follow: "first titles shipped right away", or "all but the last few in the first shipment", or "cluster titles that are printing within a month of each other into one shipment", etc.
Upgrades and Add-Ons
We can't create a reward tier for every possible combination of options, and that means that you'll need to select an existing reward tier (such as THE BOOK, or one of the combination tiers like TRIO) and then add money for any remaining books on top. This includes situations where you want more than one copy of a particular book.
Specialty tiers such as FRED'S INK should use this strategy in particular -- signed books and other limited rewards aren't available as add-ons outside of those tiers, so if you want additional books you'll want to keep the reward you're on, but add more to your pledge to cover the rest.
Basically: all shipped tiers can have additional copies of any title added. Once you hit CARRIE'S FRIENDS on up, everything but the specialty tiers (INK, STASH, CONSULTATION, 4 CORE) can be built from one of the others and will be identical in pricing. Folks just needed the extra tiers to shortcut the math of the most common scenarios!
The Kickstarter Payment and Survey Process
We've already covered how to figure out your pledge amount near the top of this post (use the spreadsheet!). If you're new to Kickstarter, you may be wondering how will Evil Hat know what I want?
Kickstarter actually charges your credit card after a campaign ends. That has to happen first; otherwise, a pledge is simply a promise of payment. Once payment is confirmed for all backers, which usually takes one to two weeks, then we're in the clear to send out surveys to backers. Since there are many reward tiers, this may take us a while to put all together, but you should expect to see your survey before the end of February.
(Kickstarter only allows us to send out one survey through their system once ever, so we need time to make sure we got it right. No do-overs for us!)
The survey process will include questions for how many copies of each title you want. You'll want to make a note somewhere (saving your own copy of the spreadsheet, for example) as to how you've configured your order, so you can tell us when the survey goes out in February.
The Digital Rewards
There are a ton of digital rewards for this project.
Up front: both Fate Core and Fate Accelerated in PDF and ebook forms will be made available to the general public on a "pay what you like" strategy, so they're not listed as one of the digital rewards because anybody will be able to grab them for free if they're so inclined, once the books are published.
For any backer pledging at the $10 EXPANSIONS level on up (every level higher than EXPANSIONS also contains EXPANSIONS) will get in PDF and when available ebook formats:
- The Fate System Toolkit, including: The Magic System Toolkit and other extras toolboxes.
- The Fate Worlds expansion collections, including: Tower of the Serpent, Kriegszeppelin Valkyrie, Wild Blue, Court/Ship, Burn Shift, Fight Fire, No Exit, The Ellis Affair, CrimeWorld, White Picket Witches, Timeworks, and Camelot Trigger.
- The following full products once created and published: Shadow of the Century, Deck of Fate print & play, Do: Fate of the Flying Temple, the Fate Freeport Companion, the Young Centurions RPG, The Day After Ragnarok Fate edition, the Sally Slick and the Steel Syndicate novel, and Strange Tales of the Century.
- And if we reach $400,000: Dresden Files Accelerated.
All in all this is about $100 worth of stuff, conservatively estimated.
But you get it for $10, or for free as part of a larger pledge that includes paper products. (Of course, if you'd like to pledge more, we're happy to receive greater than zero to ten percent!)
You can learn more about all of this stuff by perusing our Goals section on the front page of the project and clicking on the [Learn More] links.
In general, you'll receive the PDFs (at least) of the various rewards within the month that their print equivalent is published, often before the print goes out. Previews (see below) may come by significantly earlier than that.
The Print Rewards
There are six print products available. Pricing given does not include the shipping component:
- Fate Core: The book that started the project. Hardcover, 320-ish pages, 6x9 format, black and white interior. MSRP $25. Due in a few months (Spring), after we get revisions done and the art and layout finalized.
- Fate Accelerated Edition (FAE): FAE is Fate Core minus the greater detail, extensive advice and examples, etc, stripped down and simplified for approachability and quick digestion for players young and old. Softcover, 40-ish pages, 6x9 format, black and white interior. MSRP $5. Due in Spring.
- Fate Worlds: Collecting the various "micro" settings and adventures funded here, 12 in all. We still refer to this as a book, but it's actually going to be two books because of the volume of material we're looking at. Softcover, 240-400 pages each (haven't figured that out exactly), 6x9 format, black and white interior. Sold as a set here for MSRP $30, and on publication, they'll be $15 each, yielding the same total. Due in Late Spring/Early Summer.
- Fate System Toolkit: Starts with the Magic System Toolkit and then expanding to cover a grab-bag exploration of where all the "dials" are in the system and how to tweak them to produce the effects you want in play, as well as a bunch of "pre-built" solutions. Hardcover, 200-240 pages, 6x9 format, black and white interior. MSRP $20. Due in Summer.
- Strange Tales of the Century: Jess Nevins's tour of worldwide pulp based on real-world research, melded together with the Spirit of the Century universe. Huge! Could be 600 or more pages. Softcover, 6x9 format, black and white interior. MSRP $40. Due late Summer/early Fall.
- Sally Slick and the Steel Syndicate: Carrie Harris writes a young adult novel set in the Spirit of the Century universe, starring a teenage Sally Slick. Softcover, 200-ish pages, 6x9. MSRP $15. Due late Fall/Winter.
These "due" dates could swap around depending on how reality decides to behave. The Toolkit could come before the Worlds, for example; FAE and Core might hit at the exact same time, or a month apart, in either possible order.
All of the above will be available for sale outside the Kickstarter, so if you can't afford to pledge for something now, you don't need to.
Print Products You Can't Buy Through This Kickstarter
A number of the later-funded goals will be in print, but we're not selling their print incarnations through this Kickstarter. That's because we have no idea (or only a partial idea) what their size, format, and pricing will be yet.
So if you're wanting in-print versions of Shadow of the Century, the Deck of Fate, Do: Fate of the Flying Temple, Young Centurions, or Dresden Files Accelerated (if we get to $400,00), you'll need to wait until they're published and available for sale through the Evil Hat webstore and in game stores both brick & mortar and online.
Both The Day After Ragnarok and the Freeport Companion will be published by their respective publishers (Atomic Overmind and Green Ronin), so you'll need to get them from their respective publishers!
Previews Currently Available
Go to the first update of the project to grab the Fate Core preview we made available at the start of the project in early December...
...and we've conveniently rounded up all the other preview stuff to date in the update just prior to this one:
Post-Campaign Plans for this Kickstarter
Just because the funding drive of this campaign ends Tuesday night, does not mean that this campaign goes dormant. Far from it!
First off, we'll continue to make backers-only posts containing preview material for you to comment on. We've gathered over 8,000 of you here precisely so we can make sure we're producing a continuing line of Fate Core derived products that take your feedback into account! We still have a couple Fate Worlds expansions to share with you, the Fate Accelerated draft, the underway revisions of Fate Core, and so on.
Everyone at $10 and up will also be put on an email distribution list for delivering all the digital rewards from the project as they become available. We would continue to do this through backers-only posts, but since folks pledging below the $10 mark aren't due these rewards, and Kickstarter doesn't let us make a more selective post easily, it's the best way.
When possible, we'll let you know that a physical product is about to ship, but if you know you have a change of address coming, please let us know the moment you learn your new address. Sometimes we ship ahead of schedule, so we're depending on you to keep us up to date. Contact us through the Kickstarter messaging system to let us know (when you do that, we'll get shown what project you're talking about and what your pledge level was -- very important pieces of info).
This Project Is Awesome And Full Of Nearly-Free Stuff! Can I Give More Than I Need To?
Yup -- you can always increase your pledge amount above the baseline necessary to get the rewards you want. That said, you don't have to -- we're not going to go broke from what we're offering you here, and we'd be completely happy for you to save up some of your scratch to buy the in-print games and other non-kickstarter products we'll have to offer throughout the rest of the year. Thanks!
How did all of this happen?
Well… Rob Donoghue has a good account of it over on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/u/0/104915224203075819082/posts/XVuQvhqmjvi
It's all totally true! At least, it all should be!
We love answering questions. Ask them in the comments below. You may also want to peruse our FAQ section, which we've somehow managed to keep mostly up to date.
And most of all, thank you for becoming a part of Fate Core!