Researchers at UC Davis have confirmed that almost 70% of “extra virgin olive oil” doesn’t even meet the actual standard. In fact, the New York Times even exposed that most of your olive oil doesn’t even come from the countries they claim to come from!
The majority of your “extra virgin olive oil” is produced by adding “filler” olive oil and unnatural ingredients to give this olive oil an uncommon taste. That’s like someone trying to sell you caviar when 80% of it is actually tapioca!
Nearly every brand in the supermarket has been selling you “authentic” extra virgin olive oil for years that contains less pure ingredients, older ingredients, and filler ingredients at a much higher cost – all without your knowledge.
We want to help you get TRUE natural extra virgin olive oil.
Puglia is in the Southern region of Italy and is the heel of the boot. It`s the "holy land" of olive trees numbering 60 million olive trees and just under half a million trees are known as "ulivi secolari" or centuries-old trees.
When you get your olive oil straight from the farmers themselves, that’s the only way to get the purest extra virgin olive oil with all its health benefits. We work directly with the families and harvesters that produce the olive oil that other regions, such as Tuscany and Sicily, actually claim as their own. In fact, we should know since one of these farms is owned by our family right in Puglia!
When you finally taste what GENUINE extra virgin olive oil taste like, you’ll know it’s Especially Puglia.
Here’s another important fact that most people don't know; unlike wine, olive oil does NOT get better with age. Do you have any idea how long that olive oil has been sitting on your shelf? Most likely it's been years. The taste and health benefits of olive oil deteriorates with time.
Our farmers know the truth: Harvest truly happens once a year. So what do families in Puglia do to ensure they always have fresh olive oil? They stock up and consume it within the year.
We want you to take advantage of our farmers' expert knowledge and be able to obtain locally produced and delicious extra virgin olive oil from Puglia.
You can get extra virgin olive oil straight from one of our "Masseria", a traditional farmhouse in Puglia. The families and farmers here are not factories made for mass production. They are local producers who many of the world’s biggest companies acquire their olive oil from before they add all of their unnecessary ingredients.
We will help you order directly from them.
By taking part in our “Adopt A Tree Program”, you’ll enjoy a unique extra virgin olive oil experience by:
- Receiving extra virgin olive oil sourced directly and locally from farmers in Puglia
- Olive oil cold pressed within 8 hours of being harvested, packaged, and shipped directly from Puglia to you
- Gorgeous and custom ceramic bottle
- An expertly crafted box that serves as an eye catching container for your olive oil while being the perfect way to give this olive oil as a gift
What do you receive when you adopt an olive tree?
- 1 large tin of 3 liters of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ceramic bottle made by artisans in Puglia
- Brochure of the Adopt an Olive Tree program
- Certificate of Adoption, including the name of the grove, number of the tree, and date of harvest
With the Especially Puglia's farm to table approach, we’re able to offer the purest olive oil for less than what you would pay for “premium” olive oil at the store. Because we ship our olive oil in three liter tins, you get more of the freshest olive oil for a fraction of the cost as well. Instead of pouring olive oil for your family and guests from some unknown factory that claims to be “authentic”, you can now serve something you can be proud of.
And yes, there is a major difference in our olive oil. You simply need to taste it to see what you’ve been missing all your life.
If your extra virgin olive oil comes from a store shelf, then you’ve never tasted true olive oil.
Let’s face it, if extra virgin olive oil belongs to any facet of your life, then you owe it to yourself, your palette, your family, and your dinner guests to get AUTHENTIC extra virgin olive oil. You deserve something truly one-of-a-kind. You deserve to eat something perfectly pure.
Something especially unique. Something especially local. Something that is Especially Puglia.
Risks and challenges
While we're confident we can launch this campaign, there are some things to consider that everyone should know.
1. A limited amount of trees are available. While we'd love to deliver as much olive oil as we can, through this Kickstarter we can only do a finite amount. If successful, we may be able to contact neighboring farmers to assist us in getting more olive trees.
2. Farmers are not able to predict the harvest. It is not possible to forecast the amount of liters of olive oil that can be produced per grove. To predict this, we can rely on historical data to get a sense of the "base" amount of olive oil we can expect during each year's harvest. But of course, Mother Nature is tricky and can throw us a curve ball. In the worst case scenario, we are willing to refund your money if we cannot provide product based on natural circumstances.
3. There may be shipping delays from Italy. We love the farmers we work with as they are truly dedicated to making high quality extra virgin olive oil. That said, they are not used to the fast pace life of New Yorkers like us. While they are aware of the campaign and the rush in work it could cause, we'd love to be more than honest and say that shipping delays might occur since we're being very ambitious about the start and end times of this campaign. In the event of any/all issues, we'll be 100% up front about those in our Updates section.
4. We can only satisfy the demand of 200 adoptions with delivery by Christmas. Again, we'd love to provide more if we can. But with our experience and understanding of the limited amount of trees we have access to, 200 adoptions is the safest assumption we can make. If the campaign goes well and the demand is there, we will do our best to contact more farmers to meet demand (which will be the happiest problem we could have!)Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)